Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Here is a recent article on the sales... Best in 20 years!

DCs New 52 Numbers Are In: Best Sales in 20 Years!

Comment

• boynightwing
      That Carl Guy
      • Apr 24, 2002

^ Good for them! I may not have agreed with all their decisions. And I hated Justice League #1, but if it's bringing in new people and revitalizing sales, I guess it worked out.

When I was at the comic store on Wednesday, he had got his books a little later then usual and he likes to bag and board everything before selling them, so I was waiting a bit and chit chatting as I did so. By the time he was ready to put the books out, there were over a dozen people in the store. Which is a lot because it's a small place. As he put stacks out, people were pretty much taking them right away.

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by MIB41
        Here is a recent article on the sales... Best in 20 years!

DCs New 52 Numbers Are In: Best Sales in 20 Years!
        But can they maintain those sales?...I'm hearing about a lot of people (self included) jumping off books after only two issues in...
        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Oh I absolutely agree. It was a gimmick. But a gimmick is only as good as the story in comics. Perhaps this gimmick will also translate into the biggest cancellation of titles as well. There could be a very big downside to this as well.

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

^ Time will tell....I've gotten past the "collect 'em all" or the "wait and see" mentality...if they can't deliver after 2 or 3 issues, they're gone. I've got too many anyway

Comment

• boynightwing
              That Carl Guy
              • Apr 24, 2002

I don't think they expect all 52 to be hits. They've already started adding some mini series like Penguin and Huntress which could become regulars if the others don't work out.

I know I've dropped Green Arrow, Suicide Squad, and a few others. But I did go back and pick up Demon Knights.

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

>But can they maintain those sales?

DC has done a reboot almost every year for a decade now, and I think if they didn’t work, they wouldn’t keep doing them. But what does it mean to “work?” I still feel the idea is to boost sales for the year, and yeah; it works. Does it have staying power? No, but I don’t think it HAS to: they get a big boost of sales right off the bat, and by the time they’ve trickled off it’s time for the NEXT reboot.

I’m a little surprised by the numbers, but not by the overall effect. It’s not that different from how superhero comics always worked, although the reboots came every three to five years, and were usually a little less blatant. (“Beginning HERE; a bold, new chapter in the life of character-X!!!!” was all you got.)

Don C.

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Finally found some time to read Batgirl #2 and Shade #1. Robinson is back in fine form with Shade... it really does have the Starman vibe to it. Shade vs Deathstroke is pretty cool, although those of us who actually are familiar with Shade know better than to be shocked by the cliffhanger. I really do like his relationship with Hope O'Dare.

I also really appreciate that Simone is finding a rich vein of story and character development in portraying Babs as someone who cannot just jump right back into the superhero game after so long an absence, coupled with the initial trauma and rehabilitation from her injuries. Glad that they are attempting to introduce a new bad guy with his own set of motivations, and not just retread killer moth or whomever for the umpteenth time.
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• boynightwing
                    That Carl Guy
                    • Apr 24, 2002

I got to read Shade #1 last night. I know absolutely nothing about the character beyond the Justice League cartoon. It was a great read. I loved the wit. I can't wait for issue #2.

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by boynightwing
                      I got to read Shade #1 last night. I know absolutely nothing about the character beyond the Justice League cartoon. It was a great read. I loved the wit. I can't wait for issue #2.
                      You should totally check out Starman, or at least the original 4 issue miniseries of The Shade.

I forgot to mention my favourite bit ... the reimagined contemporary Enemy Ace! (at least I'm assuming he's the descendant of Hans Von Hammer).

Nice to the original Starman artist, Tony Harris is doing the covers. Cully Hamner is doing a killer job on the art inside.
                      Last edited by samurainoir; Oct 17, '11, 11:44 AM.
                      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

Hopefully this is the James Robinson I know and not the imposter from the last few years..

Comment

• Random Axe
                          The Voice of Reason
                          • Apr 16, 2008

Okay, in a moment of weakness I broke down and bought a few titles. I went out today to the best Cincinnati comic shop, which is completely across town. He carries Citadel/GW paint so I was originally going for that.

Turns out he has EVERY issue of the new 52 and several copies. Nothing is sold out there, nothing. So there I am staring at Aquaman pointing his trident at me as if a challenge. I accepted and grabbed that and the first two issues of GL and the fist of Corp.

I really, really like these. FOr GL it's as if nothing changed in the year I've been away from monthlies. Aquaman is protrayed as the badass he truly is, and his book has major potential. We'll see if Johns can avoid the pitfalls of the past and keep him interesting. Right now, it's looking good.
                          I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Riffster
                            Atomic batteries to power
                            • Jun 29, 2008

I renewd some subscriptions and was speaking with the guy on the phone, he said some titles are already marked for death, most of them you can't get subscriptions to, Legion lost being one, hopefully it lasts or they at least they get back cause i like wildfire and Dawny, not too mention Timberwolf
                            Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
                            And Super Powers Batman

Comment

• boynightwing
                              That Carl Guy
                              • Apr 24, 2002

I started reading Legion Lost. I liked the concept of them being stranded in our time. My problem with the book (and why I stopped reading it part way through) was that they did not take any time to tell me who anyone was. So I was scratching my head wondering until I lost interest. I found this to be the case with many of the new #1's. I think they presume we know who's who when in many cases we don't. In Static Shock for example, they make casual remarks about his sister having been cloned and nobody can tell them apart so they both just live with the family. I had never read Static before and only saw 3 episodes of the cartoon. So I felt left out of something. Hopefully they'll explain that one better.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                                The Packaging King
                                • Dec 31, 2004

Big Legion fan but Legion Lost just didn't do anything for me....Plus the fact that the concept has been done before at least 3 times...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎