Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

My son has been Blue Beetle nuts since this aired. Of course I think he picked up on my enthusiasm for the character. He asked to borrow my DCD Blue Beetle, and used his Super Friends Batmobile as the Bug. Good idea!

Ted's death was much better than his gory demise in the comics.

This is up there with the GA/Etrigan episode for my favorite thus far.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• johnnystorm
      Hot Child in the City
      • Jul 3, 2008

Great episode tonight, loved the Plastic Man-Elongated Man stuff at the beginning!
      And I'm really starting to like this version of Aquaman- it strikes me that they are doing a parody of Sean Connery without the accent. Atom was portrayed well, and there was that little bit most viewers won't get, but the Brain's french accent is accurate. He was a French scientist/criminal mastermind in the original Doom Patrol comics (hence his ape henchman Monsiuer Mallah).

Anybody pick up the B&B comic #1 this week? Thought it was pretty good as well, with Power Girl teaming up with Bats to fight Lex Luthor (the old-time fat scientist in a lab coat Luthor, not the purple & green suited villain). PG was drawn a little hard for my tastes, all the art was that way, it needs to be close to the cartoony version of Dick Sprang's art, not a cartoony version of the JLU art. But I really liked it and added it to my pull list.

Comment

• BlackKnight
        The DarkSide Customizer
        • Apr 16, 2005

This version of Aquaman is Horrible.
        He comes off as An Arrogant Pompus Ignorant Stupid Muscle Bound ***. .. This incarnation of the character is seriously not Helping the Coolness of AquaMan imo.
        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

^ I dunno BK...I thought he was pretty funny actually. Maybe this version of Aquaman brings more personality to a character that most people associate with Super Friends lameness (being flown around in the Invisible Jet by Wonder Woman 80% of the time doesn't help).

Why did the Atom have to be Ryan Choi? What's wrong with Ray Palmer? Especially if you're going with that Silver Age B&B flavor.
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

I'm guessing because JLU used the Ray Palmer version.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
              OH JES!!
              • Jul 21, 2005

I loved tonights episode!!!! Aquaman Rules!!! Finally a version that maybe people will remember!!!

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                I'm guessing because JLU used the Ray Palmer version.
                Me too.

Whether their production crew wants to admit it or not--- is what I'm thinking.
                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                  ^ I dunno BK...I thought he was pretty funny actually. Maybe this version of Aquaman brings more personality to a character that most people associate with Super Friends lameness (being flown around in the Invisible Jet by Wonder Woman 80% of the time doesn't help).

Why did the Atom have to be Ryan Choi? What's wrong with Ray Palmer? Especially if you're going with that Silver Age B&B flavor.
                  Probably due to the fact that when this show went into production, DiDio was pushing for his "more diverse" DCU. DC probably dictated which versions of characters got used in the show, like the current Beetle and Atom
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    Probably due to the fact that when this show went into production, DiDio was pushing for his "more diverse" DCU. DC probably dictated which versions of characters got used in the show, like the current Beetle and Atom
                    That's what I was thinking...the time frame meshes up for that theory. Sadly though both of these new projects failed. I think the new Beetle is going to be around for awhile, especially since his predecessor was killed off. But Ray Palmer has resumed his Atom role and I'm not sure where that leaves Choi at the moment. Whoever created these characters for DC is probably grateful they've been appropriated for the cartoon 'cause I'm sure they'll get more royalties off of merchandise than they would from lackluster titles that were cancelled.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

This episode was supposed to be fun, and it was. Looks like this show is going to try and strike that precarious balance of solid action shows and straight out buddy comedies, much like the Teen Titans toon did.

I will gripe about one thing; Elongated Man. He just didn't sound right. I never thought of Ralph sounding like a Fraiser Kane-wannabe "intellectual" type that lords his detective mind over on others, complete with semi-British accent. I guess they did this to differentiate him further from Plastic Man, but it was a disservice to the character, who has been seriously disserviced in comics of late. And, despite some random inconsistencies in the comics, Ralph normally can't shape shift, just stretch.

But other than that, a fun one. Not my favorite by no means. Next weeks ep looks geek-fest cool.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        I will gripe about one thing; Elongated Man. He just didn't sound right. I never thought of Ralph sounding like a Fraiser Kane-wannabe "intellectual" type that lords his detective mind over on others, complete with semi-British accent. I guess they did this to differentiate him further from Plastic Man, but it was a disservice to the character, who has been seriously disserviced in comics of late. And, despite some random inconsistencies in the comics, Ralph normally can't shape shift, just stretch.
                        Glad I'm not the only one that thought something was "off" with his voice. I always pictured him having mid-west type of accent, considering he spent a lot of time around Central City and Blue Valley back in the day.

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

I was surprised Atom was Ryan Choi but it didn't really bother me as they played up his personality this way.

I know Aquaman comes off a bit buffoonish but dammit, I love him. He's the old timey British Colonel type. When I was a kid we were neighbours with this guy, "one time in Indyarrrrr!"
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Megotu
                            jerk
                            • Dec 16, 2001

Aquaman still comes off as Charlton Heston to me.
                            sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                              Glad I'm not the only one that thought something was "off" with his voice. I always pictured him having mid-west type of accent, considering he spent a lot of time around Central City and Blue Valley back in the day.
                              Yeah the accent didn't seem right but the ego did. I'm not a fan of the character though.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• The Toyroom
                                The Packaging King
                                • Dec 31, 2004

^ No love for "The Ductile Detective"?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎