Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Six Million Dollar Man Action Figures Official Announcement!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZICA
    Persistent Member
    • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by jimsmegos
    I'm sharing and posting links everywhere... I really want to see this work out. They are so cool! Pre-Order also coming soon.
    Thanks Jim, I really appreciate that!

Comment

• Remco Monster
      GLOWS in the Dark!
      • May 3, 2006

Originally posted by ZICA
      Actually I'm not even sure how many will come in a case at this point. Once I have that info I'll be sure to post it here.
      Sounds good to me. It isn't like I need a case, but they are so wicked cool, I wouldn't mind having some extras around, and I want to support the line as much as I can, and would assume there would be a price break by purchasing a case. But I will be fine with the two sets I ordered (one to open, one to keep MOC) if that's the case.

Comment

• garfoot
        Museum Patron
        • Aug 28, 2012

I just preordered a set from BBTS and plan on putting them in protective cases. These babies go up on the wall next to my Star Wars vintage, and soon to be released FTC ReMegos.

Comment

• Corellian Corvette
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 27, 2004

Craig these are AWESOME. Already pre-ordered 2 sets, and I'm in for 2 of whatever you make in this line. I love SMDM and have a complete boxed collection of vintage 12" figures.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a small chest sticker and include it. The figure doesn't look right without the sticker. It was a miss on the BBP versions and I had to make a repro version for it. That silly sticker is such an iconic part of the line!
          Like M.A.S.K.?
          www.albertpenello.com/mask

Comment

• ZICA
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by Corellian Corvette
            Craig these are AWESOME. Already pre-ordered 2 sets, and I'm in for 2 of whatever you make in this line. I love SMDM and have a complete boxed collection of vintage 12" figures.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a small chest sticker and include it. The figure doesn't look right without the sticker. It was a miss on the BBP versions and I had to make a repro version for it. That silly sticker is such an iconic part of the line!
            The chest sticker idea has been suggested a few times but I decided not to use it, at least not on the standard edition figure. At some point that small detail could be used for an exclusive variant figure and I want to leave that option open. Considering how much tooling costs for figures like these you want to get as much bang for your buck as you can out of it. Also, even though I'm obviously paying homage to the vintage Kenner line of large scale figures, I don't want this new line to come across as simply being a miniaturized version of it. It needs to be its own thing on some levels. That's why I just didn't simply cut and past the old Kenner logo for the packaging. It would have been easier and a lot cheaper, but it was important to me that it should be something a little unique to this line.

Comment

• Turnerusia
              • Sep 11, 2012

Long-time lurker, first post! I’m a bit surprised that it’s not only taken me years to do this but that it’s taken this subject---3 ľ “ Six Million Dollar Man action figures. And I was pretty excited back in the day with Retro Action figures and CTVT’s recent announcements. But this….has got me thrilled.

I know these figures will be great: the Buck Rogers and Tiger Man figures set the bar high for Mego-like figures and they are the gold standard as far as I’m concerned. I grieved with many here on the board when we learned that Zica wouldn’t be able to continue this line.

But…hurrah!...here comes retro action figures straight out of some parallel 1970s, where Col. Steve Austin is able to join his other three-inch buddies and fight Tusken Raiders and Stormtroopers and Cylons. Where Admiral Kirk, Han Solo and Starbuck team-up to take on Big Foot! I’ve already got my set of three figures on order and I can’t wait to get my grubby hands on ‘em. Gotta collect ‘em all!

Like everyone else here, I’ve got suggestions for more 3 ľ” action figures.

1. Planet of the Apes. Someone else here already suggested this and I concur—these would be great. Not only do they draw on the 1970s nostalgia factor but it seems to me that this is still a popular property that could find willing and eager consumers.

2. Star Trek, the Original Series. Talk about nostalgia! I would have killed for these as a kid. Mego’s line of figures from The Motion Picture are wonderful, but think of the possibilities of figures based on the TV series. The aliens could be scaled down versions of the Mego 8” figures, or more accurate representations. Imagine your Col. Austin battling Romulans…

3. Flash Gordon (1980). He’s a miracle! King of the impossible! He save with a mighty hand every man, every---okay, you get the idea. Flash. Dale. Zarkov. Ming. Prince Barin. Vultan. General Kala. Klytus. Princess Aura. You know you want ‘em. Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back this figure!

And as a long shot, no way in heck, but-a-kid-can-dream-plea: James Bond 007 figures based on The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker. I would build a time machine and deliver these to myself as a kid. It’s been a while since we had an Bond figures on the market and it seems like EON and Sony are very protective of this property, but just think of the possibilities: Bond in tuxedo, in a ski suit, Royal Navy uniform, space suit! Jaws! Drax! Jaws! Major Amasova! Jaws! Dr. Goodhead! A scaled Lotus Esprit! A space station playset! Like I said, a kid can dream.

In the meantime, I’m looking forward to my red and blue Steves and Big Foot!

Comment

• ZICA
                Persistent Member
                • May 7, 2006

Glad to hear my SMDM action figure announcement brought you out of the shadows. This is a great place to interact with fellow collectors and action figure enthusiasts.

I agree, all of those are very good suggestions. The reaction I'm getting to the SMDM line has been overwhelming, much more so than it was with the Buck Rogers figures. If the excitement I'm seeing translates into strong sales I'll definitely be looking for other properties to tackle in this format.

Craig

Comment

• Jeff Cope
                  Museum Patron
                  • Jun 11, 2013

I'm in the same position. I came to these forums based on the SMDM announcement. SMDM was my favorite show as a kid. I even got to see Lee Majors filming part of an episode in the Universal backlot during a tram tour once. Factor in that 3-3/4" is my preferred action figure scale and I am all over this line. I'm excited to see where the line goes. I can't wait for these figures!

Just curious, though. Would it be feasible to manufacture some sort of clip on accessory of the white weights that Steve wore on the red track suit? I always missed those not being on the vintage figure back in the day as well.

Comment

• ZICA
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by Jeff Cope
                    I'm in the same position. I came to these forums based on the SMDM announcement. SMDM was my favorite show as a kid. I even got to see Lee Majors filming part of an episode in the Universal backlot during a tram tour once. Factor in that 3-3/4" is my preferred action figure scale and I am all over this line. I'm excited to see where the line goes. I can't wait for these figures!

Just curious, though. Would it be feasible to manufacture some sort of clip on accessory of the white weights that Steve wore on the red track suit? I always missed those not being on the vintage figure back in the day as well.
                    Hi Jeff,

Glad to see you've come to join the party! That's a cool story about getting to see Lee Majors filming an episode at Universal. I'm hoping that while I have the license to make the figures I'll get the opportunity to meet him at a comic con or some other collector convention.

The white weights are a cool idea but at this scale I don't think they would work well as a clip on accessory. Probably the only way it could be done and look right is to have the weights as part of the body sculpt, which gets into more sculpting and tooling costs. Considering the overwhelming amount of talent I've seen in the customizing community I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this done as a custom piece. Pretty much all it would take is making the weights out of white resin and gluing them to the torso.

Craig

Comment

• jp1977
                      • Jun 13, 2013

Also a very big toy collector more of Star Wars and vintage Kenner and 3 3/4 megos. The larger Megos although I love them were a little before my time, but I got a lot from some older cousins. I have preordered two sets of The SMDM Sets and I am down for two of anything you do. Is it safe to say that Oscar Goldman will be series 2.
                      Also my two cents for a vintage line is the 1980 Clash of the Titans, I was very upset about no Madusa or Zeus Figures. Another Series could be The Twilight Zone or this is a long shot but Blazing Saddles or Spaceballs!

Comment

• ZICA
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by jp1977
                        Also a very big toy collector more of Star Wars and vintage Kenner and 3 3/4 megos. The larger Megos although I love them were a little before my time, but I got a lot from some older cousins. I have preordered two sets of The SMDM Sets and I am down for two of anything you do. Is it safe to say that Oscar Goldman will be series 2.
                        Also my two cents for a vintage line is the 1980 Clash of the Titans, I was very upset about no Madusa or Zeus Figures. Another Series could be The Twilight Zone or this is a long shot but Blazing Saddles or Spaceballs!
                        Yes, Oscar Goldman will be in series 2.

Comment

• Jeff Cope
                          Museum Patron
                          • Jun 11, 2013

Yeah, I figured the weights would be difficult at best to do as an accessory...

And, in the realm of future line wish lists...

Space 1999
                          Planet of the Apes
                          Lost in Space

(...that Space 1999 & Lost in Space would look stellar next to the 4H's Outer Space Men is an added bonus!)

Comment

• ZICA
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by Jeff Cope
                            Yeah, I figured the weights would be difficult at best to do as an accessory...

And, in the realm of future line wish lists...

Space 1999
                            Planet of the Apes
                            Lost in Space

(...that Space 1999 & Lost in Space would look stellar next to the 4H's Outer Space Men is an added bonus!)
                            Those choices have been mentioned a few times, and they're all good ones. Definitely worth taking a look at.

Comment

• Jeff Cope
                              Museum Patron
                              • Jun 11, 2013

Archaia Press is doing some Space 1999 in comics (some new, some reprints) which could add some additional visibility for a related figure project.

Admittedly the timing isn't quite there... ;-)

Now, if only someone would reprint the Charlton SMDM series!)

Comment

• jp1977
                                • Jun 13, 2013

Craig, could you drop some names on me for a future series of SMDM. Also what would be a dream line for you, not that this is not already a dream come true!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎