X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boywonder0
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by drmego
    Yes that is true. The condition of the license is 1 character, 1 body, $80 retail price. This is how Sideshow was able to make
    12 inch Star Wars figures - not as toys but as adult collectibles. We are working from the knowledge that MEGO fans are
    aware of the availability of replacement bodies. With luck, maybe retailers can buy two-body packs to stock with the Marvel
    megos sets for new fans not familiar with drmego.com.
    God bless you Doc! This is destined to be a great collectible ! By investing in two replacement bodies we actually get three (3) wonderful figures: the Mego retro rendition, the modern rendition and the alter ego. Even if you add $20 for this investment, we are getting three figures for less than $100 (approx $33 ea). I was touring today at a Toys R Us here in PR and saw the Hasbro Winter Soldier & Spiderman 2 Marvel Legends figures at a $26 price tag and the Mattel TV Batman (DCUC type) figures at $26 as well. None of these can stand next to a Mego figure...

I want these really bad so please make these happen ASAP. And keep them happening! More characters please! Looking forward to a Non-bearded modern Thor and an modern Iron Man without a nose. Thanks!

Comment

• tllgn
      Persistent Member
      • Feb 6, 2010

which Dr.Mego body? there are variations ,i would want to use the same one that the set uses,hope its not
      the ones with screws or the new bandless body,i like the first Emce bodies they used on star trek and apes,
      their closer to classic mego,just my own view.

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

Not crazy over the price, but just pre-ordered Spidey trio from EE. How can you resist?
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• william shatners toupee
          Warriors Gate Productions
          • Feb 18, 2010

Originally posted by drmego
          Yes that is true. The condition of the license is 1 character, 1 body, $80 retail price. This is how Sideshow was able to make 12 inch Star Wars figures - not as toys but as adult collectibles. We are working from the knowledge that MEGO fans are aware of the availability of replacement bodies. With luck, maybe retailers can buy two-body packs to stock with the Marvel megos sets for new fans not familiar with drmego.com.
          I appreciate your answering and letting us know the specifics. I am a toy collector who grew up with Megos who swore he wouldn't be pulled back into these, and your Spiderman set looks so gorgeous I know I am in for him and the Avengers.

That said, TRU sells single Mego-figures for $19.99, yet this set comes with one body and three costumes for $80. Where's the value to justify that price? I want this line to succeed, but right off the bat I don't see this model having legs to go far (and I want it too).

If you contractually can't have more bodies or characters per pack, I think you need to go larger with more accessories.

Hopefully a Thor could have things like a Casket of Ancient Winters, Thor Frog, belt of Strength, and maybe even power FX like an interchangeable clear SFX Mjolner hammer top that is shooting sculpted plastic lightning and an sculpted FX accessory of his hammer being spun (multiple hammers in a circle).

Spiderman could have had so many more web-based accessories- a big web trap, web balls, web net, Web cuffs, Ms. Lion, and a "Spider-sense" half Peter/half Spidey head, alternate magnet hands.

That's my two cents. Best of luck!

Comment

• melkorjunior
            Museum Super Collector
            • Apr 20, 2014

I wonder how much wiggle-room there is here...for example, could Hobgoblin count as a variation of the Green Goblin? Hopefully we won't always have to have the "retro, modern, alter ego" as the rule for each set, because not every character has an alter ego I'd be interested in seeing. For example: I don't care about Don Blake and I would only want Steve Rogers if he came with a blue and silver stealth suit to wear instead of civilian clothes. (In fact if the Cap set isn't "retro, modern, Steve Rogers head with stealth suit" I'm going to be disappointed, after seeing the Winter Soldier movie and seeing how awesome he was in the stealth suit.)

With the confirmation of "one character, one body" that means certain characters are likely not going to be part of this line. I don't see how any of the members of the Fantastic Four get made, for example; three versions of any one member just won't sell very well in my opinion, though I'd take a long look at a Torch set. The Hulk is his own special problem as the repro and the modern version would need two different body types. In fact of all the original Marvel Megos it seems to me that we'll only be seeing Spidey, Cap, Thor and Iron Man...unless they decide to give the retro Hulk figure a new larger body to match the "modern" Hulk. My idea: make the retro Hulk the "gray Hulk" from his first appearance, make the modern Hulk standard green, and give them both the same large body. Use a Kirbyish headsculpt for gray Hulk and use the Mego sculpt for green Hulk (which would technically make him the retro version, but he wouldn't have the sad little undersized body.) Top it off with a Banner alter ego with ripped clothes, and I'd buy that set.

So, Spidey, Cap, Thor, Iron Man and maybe Hulk...and Wolverine has been confirmed...but the "one character" edict really cuts down on other possibilities. For instance: no "Girlfriends of Peter Parker" set. No "Spidey Villains" set. No Lizard, certainly. No FF set. We'll be lucky to get the Green Goblin, though I think Norman Osborn would be one of the best looking alter egos of all time, certainly miles cooler than Don Blake. I also don't think we'll be getting any female characters at all.

Some other possibilities I can come up with...

--Another Spidey set with his black costume, a Ben Reilly costume, and a modern Peter Parker alter ego, though I don't think I'd have much interest.

--A Doctor Doom set with his standard armor, 2099 armor, and a scarred Victor alter ego (I'd definitely buy this one.)

--A Jean Grey set with Marvel Girl, Phoenix, and Dark Phoenix outfits. This is the only Marvel female that I think has any chance of being made. I'd certainly buy it and she'd go well with Wolverine.

--Making X-Men characters is tricky because they look odd without the rest of the team, but I think at least Cyclops could also sell...maybe. He's certainly had enough different outfits, and a Scott alter ego would look interesting.

Daredevil: I'd enjoy seeing his red and yelow costume, along with his all-red costume. I'd even like a Matt Murdock alter-ego, as he's one of Marvel's most interesting characters.

A longshot: The Human Torch. I might buy a set of the the retro Mego Torch, a modern Torch, and Johnny in his FF costume, but $80 is really pushing it for three versions of this character. Maybe if two separate FF uniforms were included as accessories so we could all at least try to customize a Reed.

--Another longshot, but one with lots of potential: Doctor Strange. He's had plenty of great costumes and looks. I'd do his original blue outfit , his outfit with the cloak of levitation, and finally his blue mask look. Including lots of exotic magic-looking doodads as accessories could also be a strong selling point.
            Last edited by melkorjunior; May 21, '14, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• pmwasson
              Maker
              • Sep 12, 2007

Originally posted by melkorjunior
              Daredevil: I'd enjoy seeing his red and yelow costume, along with his all-red costume. I'd even like a Matt Murdock alter-ego, as he's one of Marvel's most interesting characters.
              This would be really cool and would be a great addition to the line as one of Mego's MIA.
              sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• william shatners toupee
                Warriors Gate Productions
                • Feb 18, 2010

That Daredevil set WOULD be a very solid one!

It's true many characters won't fit the formula. And I have to state flat out, while I like the Mego Spidey being in the set, and the Peter Parker is nice, what I really like and want is the nice updated classic Spiderman. That is what I am buying this for.

So when there is a Cap, what I really want is the updated "classic" cap, which is basically the updated Mego look.
                When I buy an Iron Man, Thor... the same thing. I want an updated classic iconic 70's look.

The thing that would help any 8" character be a bit more worthwhile to make at $80 is power SFX accessories if they don't have a lot. Like Nightcrawler could come with a pretty sweet clear larger purple Bamf SFX stand he can be leaping out of, a smiling and serious head, sword. Alternate costume. Magnet hands to wall crawl. prehensile bendable tail.

That said, the FF could work, They could have their retro mego, updated classic costumes -
                Perhaps the Invisible Girl could have a clear plastic body, so if you take off her gloves or costume she can be/have invisible parts? That would look better with the 4 logo sculpted on her bodies chest. A fading/turning alternate invisible head- painted white with faint flesh tones, clear spheres that can be placed on hands to look like a string of them are shooting out, clear flying disc platform, alternate costumes. Clear energy base that can be used as a flying stand lifting her in the air? If it was a clear invisible sled base it could be re-used for Iceman who could come with major cool power SFX for $80. And Ms Lion.

Johnny- red body, Johnny Storm hands/head. retro mego Torch. Updated classic 70's look with clear SFX flames and hands, Other flame FX accessories- Fire ring to imprison villain, fire blast that fits over hand, flying fire trail that can be used as a flying figure stand?

Reed would be harder. Stretched out replacement arms and would need body modifications to have joints that could take the exchangeable limbs, and longer costume sleeves to fit that version, Head on a long neck? Thin flattened head? Clipboard, Kirby-esque tech gizmos, labcoat, classic costume update, alternate costumes, ultimate nullifier?

The Thing couldn't happen with this premise. He's need his own sculpted (rocky) body like the classic Hulk had for an updated modern "classic" version, and they'd need to include the retro rocky clothed Hulk body in the set to sell his retro version.

Seeing as how they'd need to sculpt an all new body for the updated THING. if it was sold with no retro Thing included, I wouldn't be as upset paying more for him knowing this because I see where the money is going (new body). I'd want boulders, a street sign to throw around if he was ever made, or maybe a piece of the pogo plane?

It's a tough thing though. I'd want Falcon but he probably couldn't happen at $80. Mego version, updated 70's costume, and first appearance costume or more modern version plus Redwing? I don't know if Mego collectors want to go too "modern" with their Megos. I don't and that set would be weak at $80 regardless.
                Last edited by william shatners toupee; May 21, '14, 1:03 PM.

Comment

• melkorjunior
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Apr 20, 2014

The problem is the $80 price tag. Not too many characters are worth buying three versions for $80.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 26, 2009

Ghost Rider 1970s
                    Johnny Blaze 1970s alter ego
                    Ghost Rider 1990

Comment

• melkorjunior
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Apr 20, 2014

I'd buy a Ghost Rider set.

Comment

• FamousCoversFan
                        • May 18, 2014

Originally posted by melkorjunior
                        I'd buy a Ghost Rider set.
                        Me too. Classic Ghost Rider & Johnny Blaze. But Ghost Rider really needs his bike...

The $80 price tag is a lot. But if they can include a lot of accessories. I think it's worth it. Ghost Rider with bike?

Perhaps they can include Franklin Richard as an accessory with the Invisible Woman. But that probably is pushing the boundaries of the license...

Comment

• Wasimhosen
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 23, 2011

This may have been asked before but will these heads fit on a Doc Mego body to make 3 figures?

Comment

• Boywonder0
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 29, 2007

People don't seem to understand... These sets will be 1 body, 3 heads and 3 costumes. That's it. That's what the deal is all about. No motorcycles, no accessories, no anything else. If you invest in buying another two Doc Mego (or other) repro bodies then you can assemble the other two heads and suits and get 3 figures.

Again, 1 body, 3 heads and 3 costumes = $80. If you can pay it, you get it, if not look something else. This is for collectors not kids. Dr. Mego and Diamond team up and score a wonderful Mego offering for us, Mego collectors, and here you have people whining and trying to kill the project...

Comment

• FamousCoversFan
                              • May 18, 2014

Originally posted by Boywonder0
                              People don't seem to understand... These sets will be 1 body, 3 heads and 3 costumes. That's it. That's what the deal is all about. No motorcycles, no accessories, no anything else. If you invest in buying another two Doc Mego (or other) repro bodies then you can assemble the other two heads and suits and get 3 figures.

Again, 1 body, 3 heads and 3 costumes = $80. If you can pay it, you get it, if not look something else. This is for collectors not kids. Dr. Mego and Diamond team up and score a wonderful Mego offering for us, Mego collectors, and here you have people whining and trying to kill the project...

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining at all. I'm really excited about these (thank you Dr. Mego en DST!) en will probably buy them all (and also extra bodies). Just dreaming about the possiblities...

Comment

• enyawd72
                                Maker of Monsters!
                                • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Boywonder0

Problem is, nobody asked the collectors these are meant for what THEY wanted. I've preordered my Spider-Man set. That said, I don't think it's a great value, and it's not what I wanted to see happen with the Marvel Mego license. Your assertion that these are collector figures just reinforces the feeling that one body and three outfits is useless unless you're planning on playing dress up with your toys. For a collector to make use of these sets, they will have to purchase two additional bodies, bringing the price for three figures to $100, not $80.
                                For the same money, one can get four DC figures from FTC. No matter how you look at it, these Marvel sets fall short, and this is coming from a Marvel fan. I'm not saying I don't appreciate what Doc has done. I do. But I can honestly say I feel FTC's approach is better, and a better value for the money.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎