Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • melkorjunior
    Museum Super Collector
    • Apr 20, 2014

My only issue with the updated Spidey is that the black layer around the eyes is much too thin. Spidey has never had that look before in the comics to my knowledge. Hopefully it gets painted thicker when the actual set comes out.

Comment

• TRDouble
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
      That looks fantastic. I'm not a huge Cap fan but if the 'updated' figure looked like this it would be hard to turn down. IMO the 'updated' Spidey is the weak point of this DST set, I like the Mego and love the Peter, but the head especially of the updated Spidey just looks....off.
      I feel the same. Updated Spidey is not that appealing to me, but the Peter Parker looks fantastic. I'd like a better look at the modern Spidey's costume. There is a glare in the picture that makes it hard to see if it really is more snug fitting than the prototype presser pictures released...which, OT, is not a great shot and does not make for a good selling point. The CE2E pictures are much better.

Not a big Cap fan either, but I might splurge to get something that looks like Megospidey's Cap.

Comment

• Teemu
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
        That looks fantastic. I'm not a huge Cap fan but if the 'updated' figure looked like this it would be hard to turn down. IMO the 'updated' Spidey is the weak point of this DST set, I like the Mego and love the Peter, but the head especially of the updated Spidey just looks....off.
        I disagree,the selling point for me is the better looking 'updated' costume....the 70's mego's,while cool for their time,are cheesey looking today

Comment

• Ivaniski
          Persistent Member
          • Jun 24, 2007

Originally posted by Teemu
          I disagree,the selling point for me is the better looking 'updated' costume....the 70's mego's,while cool for their time,are cheesey looking today
          This is my point exactly, The Cheesey factor comes into place when these companies..Emce, DST and FTC utilize the original Mego look. Most kids nowadays prefer a head sculpt that closely represents their favorite hero. Hopefully, FTC can raise the bar with their new Batman sculpt...Coming soon (hopefully Adam's or Aparo).

I have a custom Spidey with a much closer Romita resemblance....

Comment

• VintageMike
            Permanent Member
            • Dec 16, 2004

I'm about as stingy as they come when it comes to all the ReMego stuff that's been put out. Partially due to space restrictions but also because I usually want it to tie in to my vintage stuff somehow. I also have all the originals in some form, whether loose carded or boxed, so no real need to straight remakes for me. That said I love the idea of adding new stuff, the homage and it looks like a cool set. Also Spidey is my favorite character so I this gets a remego "Buy" from me and I just placed my pre-order. Big congrats to Paul for finally happening for him.

Comment

• tllgn
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 6, 2010

i also ordered two sets of these from EE. i think its rather cool,as soon as cap comes up ,ill get that one also ,i like the classic mego remake with box,
              that sold it for me ,but what bodies are they using?,what ever it is i hope its the closest to an original as possible,and that the good doc sells
              the same ones at his website,so i can build up the other two figures ,that price sure is tough though,but spideys worth it.

Comment

• Teemu
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 15, 2010

With some folks buying 2 of each,they won't last long at 3,000 production run

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by melkorjunior
                  My only issue with the updated Spidey is that the black layer around the eyes is much too thin. Spidey has never had that look before in the comics to my knowledge. Hopefully it gets painted thicker when the actual set comes out.
                  Agreed. Thicken up the black on the eyes. Don't want McFarlane in my Mego.

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                    • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by Teemu
                    The only different in the costumes is webbing in the armpits. The head looks worse and the 'belt' and webshooters look clunky as hell.

I think this set would have been a much better seller at Mego Spidey & Pete for $60.

Comment

• melkorjunior
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Apr 20, 2014

I'm planning on using the belt and webshooters with the Parker figure--like all those old Ditko panels showing him practicing his web-slinging in his room. With the modern Spidey I'll use the new web-shooting hands.

And I really hope they thicken up the dark layer around Spidey's eyes, because right now it's much too thin.

Comment

• clemso
                        Talkative Member
                        • Aug 8, 2001

Cap needs modding with red pirate boots and the white bands around arm. I hope they can do this, otherwise its a little lazy just to do a straight copy, plus I would have 100 % no interest in a straight copy.

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                        That's probably what they will do, right? The Mego Captain America, a classic version and a Steve Rodgers (or maybe a modern Cap).

- Ian

Comment

• melkorjunior
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Apr 20, 2014

Maybe they'll do a straight copy but throw an extra pair of pirate boots into the set. That original mego Cap is pretty much hopeless as far as I'm concerned because even with a modded suit and boots, that headsculpt never did anything for me. Logically I should feel this way about Mego Batman too, but that one has the nostalgia factor going for it.

Comment

• almitysufx
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 27, 2004

I think everyone who is hoping they change the look of the original mego figure for the reproduction figure are missing the point. There is going to be one reproduction figure made to be as close to what mego made as closely as possible, flaws and all. There may be other choices made for the things included with that figure, maybe Capt. America will not have an alter ego Steve Rogers head and clothes. It may have a more authentic suit, maybe a WWII Capt. or a Secret Wars/Shield set, maybe there will be a set of pirate boots but I doubt you will see a spare set for the repro. figure. As far as it being a little lazy to just do a straight copy of the original figure...isn't that the definition of a reproduction, to be as close to the original as possible.
                            Although the head isn't the greatest, it's the paint that makes it so sad. Here's the same sculpt, the original and a repaint.

Comment

• VulcansFury
                              Museum Patron
                              • Mar 6, 2014

Originally posted by Timothy2251
                              That prototype modern looking Spidey looks, uh, "AMAZING." Plus, web pits! If a modern take on Cap is in the offering, I'm buying that set, too!
                              Wow that is so shady for DST to display the set for sale with 3 bodies! It's like they are trying to trick buyers into preordering thinking they are getting more than they actually are. Because not everyone is going to scrutinize the box behind the three full figures.

Comment

• boss
                                Talkative Member
                                • Jun 18, 2003

I think "shady" is a bit strong. I don't like the fact that the set only comes with one body, but at a toy show I'd expect the outfits to be displayed on bodies. Especially since the packaged example is there.
                                Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎