Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • livnxxxl
    Megoholic RocketScientist
    • Oct 23, 2007

The new figures look nice enough. Personally, I am a bit torn as to buy them or not though. I like horror films and I always encourage and welcome just about anything EMCE does new. I was not huge into the NOTLD although it was ok. I was more into the Hellraiser films. I would imagine that once again that licensing plays a big role in what gets made and what will not get made. If they were Hellraiser's Pinhead and other characters from Hellraiser I would have bought them in a heart beat. It is not the money as the figures are priced fairly I believe. I am just looking at it from the standpoint will I have a use for these in my own collection or not. I am still thinking about it. They would not doubt make some kind of a good custom for those that do custom stuff. For now my money is still on Checkov and Sulu. I anxiously await to preorder those. Not to discourage EMCE in the least. Thanks and keep them coming guys!
    Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• drmego
      EMCE Toys
      • Jun 15, 2001

Which licenses to persue

We are doing NOTLD because the film holds a special place in the heart
      of my friend and partner Joe Sena.

It was always his wish - back when we met in high school - to one
      day we mego NOTLD. This was not an easy line to make. We have
      been stuck in development hell for two years.

We all have our dream list. In fact, it seems like the favorite pasttime
      of everyone I met. The fact is that the action figure market is license
      driven. I would love to make knights, pirates, Romans, Civil War and
      Revolutionary War soldiers - but very few people will buy them.

Mego only made the knights, pirates, and Robin Hood for two years.
      They did not sell well enough to kids.

Cotswold made gorgeous Romans and all kinds of 12 inch soldiers from
      the past and even with the much larger GI Joe fan base, they never
      were able to sell a lot of them.
      www.drmego.com
      www.megoman.com
      www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• MarkStalcup
        Chases Ambulances,Customs
        • Feb 6, 2008

Congratulations, Paul, I know you've been working on this a long time. And honestly? I think "Dawn of the Dead" figures would sell too...get the two basic S.W.A.T. guys, the helicopter pilot, his girlfriend, and Tom Savini and the Hare Krishna zombie, and you're golden...nothing real gory there, just a blue guy and a human "nemesis." And if I recall correctly, most of those folks are even represented by the same agent for conventions. That one's a lot more action-based, and would even provide some custom fodder.

Speaking of custom fodder, look at the Ben figure's well-done head in black and white pictures. Now imagine it as a caucasian with brown hair...you're darn close to a pretty good Andy Griffith head for all those "Mayberry" customs you've always wanted...a nifty bit of customizing there. From Zombies to Aunt Bea in one easy paint job. :-)
        “As human beings we all want to be happy and free from misery… we have learned that the key to happiness is inner peace. The greatest obstacles to inner peace are disturbing emotions such as anger, attachment, fear and suspicion, while love and compassion and a sense of universal responsibility are the sources of peace and happiness.” - The Dalai Lama

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

What sells...

Originally posted by drmego
          We are doing NOTLD because the film holds a special place in the heart

It was always his wish - back when we met in high school - to one
          day we mego NOTLD. This was not an easy line to make. We have
          been stuck in development hell for two years.

We all have our dream list. In fact, it seems like the favorite pasttime
          of everyone I met. The fact is that the action figure market is license
          driven. I would love to make knights, pirates, Romans, Civil War and
          Revolutionary War soldiers - but very few people will buy them.

Mego only made the knights, pirates, and Robin Hood for two years.
          They did not sell well enough to kids.

Cotswold made gorgeous Romans and all kinds of 12 inch soldiers from
          the past and even with the much larger GI Joe fan base, they never
          were able to sell a lot of them.
          Strictly from a selling standpoint, EMCE should pursue lisences which are guaranteed to sell before taking a chance on less known lines.

This is why I posted wishlists like a Bionic Man Mego, because I know that would fly off the shelves and create a real buzz.

As much as I love and support what EMCE is doing, NOTLD doesn't have a huge following in the collectors market, but maybe I'm completly wrong. I look forward to ANY figure you guys do, but do I expect NOTLD figs to sell like crazy? Honestly no, but a lot of other lines would.

I support these figs 100% and hope EMCE announces more new lines soon.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• zeedox
            Career Member
            • Aug 10, 2007

Licenses I would have suggested before NOLD...

The Wonder Twins
            Apache Chief
            Samurai Ghost (Hanna Barbara)

Snake Pliskin (Escape from New York)
            Rick Deckard (Blade Runner)
            Land of the Lost (Kroft)

:-)

Comment

• Brown Bear
              Still Old School
              • Feb 14, 2008

I remember hearing that Jakks held a poll of the fans (WWE Classic Superstars) of their wishlists....then they used it to compile which stars to pursue in their line.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile for EMCE to ask "all of us" for a top five wishlist, then they can use that to see which lisences they should be pursuing based on their target market.

Just a thought.

Comment

• megocrazy
                Museum Trouble Maker
                • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                I remember hearing that Jakks held a poll of the fans (WWE Classic Superstars) of their wishlists....then they used it to compile which stars to pursue in their line.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile for EMCE to ask "all of us" for a top five wishlist, then they can use that to see which lisences they should be pursuing based on their target market.

Just a thought.
                You guys, and I'm not singling out BB just using his post as an example, have got to start realizing you know absolutely nothing about the costs of liscensing. This is not Hasbro or Mattel producing 250,000 of each figure. EMCE does figure runs in the 5000 piece range. If you pay $50,000 for the rights to produce a 4 figure line your cost is about $2.50 per figure. This is before you have created a head mold, suit design, boot design, etc. Even though the body molds exist thay still have a cost to be produced. Figures have to be produced, assembled, packaged, and shipped to the US. 20,000 figures shipped to the US is about 15 or 16 pallets which is about 2/3 of a container. With customs fees I figure about $5000.00 to get em here depending on fuel surcharges. When you calculate it out you'll be paying $30-$35 dollars a figure to ensure the company doesn't lose money on the deal if it doesn't sell out completely. How many people will do that? Not many, and definately not over a long period of time. While EMCE may not have the total control over the Trek license they do seem to be doing the figures we wanted with the Kahn, Sulu and Chekov figures that are coming. Just like they said they would. If your sitting back waiting for front line licenses to be obtained I don't think you'll see it. Not in the immediate future at least. I don't call Trek or Apes front line because while the cult following is high they aren't really a current running property. Everyone here would love to see Superhero's and Indiana Jones and Six Million Dollar Man and all sorts of other great things in Mego glory, but I think some of you need to step back and take a deep breath and relax. This is the same as those who criticized the Trek figures being reproduced and jumped up and down when Kahn,Sulu, and Chekov were announced. Let's not jump the gun. If NOTLD is not your cup of tea, then don't buy them. Everything has gone pretty good so far and I'm sure there will be other lines that come from this. With the addition of the Capt. Action lines that are coming we will see two companies producing Mego-like figures. Hasbro has produced articulated cloth suited figures recently and while they hit clearance they did all sell out. Either way new figures are being produced and the collectors are benefitting from it with newly produced characters. We just need to relax a bit.
                It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                  Still Old School
                  • Feb 14, 2008

Nicley said megocrazy. I agree with everything you said. I am just concerned that EMCE will stop making Megos if NOTLD is a flop. I want nothing more than EMCE to be successful, whether it fits into my personal preferences or not. I personally see these figs as a business risk. That's all.

Okay.....I'm relaxed.....I'm taking a deep breath, holding my Romulan.

Comment

• mego73
                    Printed paperboard Tiger
                    • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by Delusional B
                    I think these look fantastic! I plan on getting them.

However, I'd just like to throw my two cents into the ring regarding horror stuff and EMCE. NOTLD is old enough to be somewhat tame and not over-the-top gory or bordering on Satanic themes like many horror films of today do. It's kind of quaint in a creepy kind of way. I sincerely hope that Emce will continue in the same types of properties that Mego did. Mego always seemed to be about family friendly properties. I'd really hate to see EMCE start to pick up licenses that border on grotesque or that are in bad taste. I'd even go so far as to say that EMCE Dawn of the Dead figures (as much as I love the movie) wouldn't be in line with what people associate Mego (EMCE by association) with. Sounds funny, I know, but there seems to be a fine line there somewhere. I personally don't want to start associating Mego with properties like Jason or Freddie or Chuckie, etc. My vote is to keep it all clean and child friendly...even if it is mostly us old guys that are picking the stuff up.

With all that being said, I realize that EMCE is a business and needs to make money. I just hope they don't have to get in with unsavory properties to do so.
                    I agree, NOTLD is not what I would associate with Mego but the execution of the figures are Mego like. NOTLD is on the cusp of still being the type of horror movie you would catch on TV in the 1970's (though probably edited) but also being one of the first to do the grimmer, gorier horror of the later years.

I'll be getting a set. I also think customizers will have a field day with Ben since he could be easily modified into so many other similar looking characters.

So, NOTLD, not my first choice but looks at the figures made me a believer. But if you guys start to do Hostel action figures (with detachable limbs) with Torture room playset I will come and slap you on the head with a smiley face Batman (sort of like those V-8 commercials)

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• zeedox
                      Career Member
                      • Aug 10, 2007

Megos are for kids!

Mego = KIDS TOYS
                      Night of the Living Dead = NOT KIDS MOVIE

More Mego Please...

(Besides this is coming out:
                      http://www.amoktime.com/detail.asp?p...er1&subcat=726)
                      Last edited by zeedox; Mar 4, '08, 3:24 PM.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                        GLOWS in the Dark!
                        • May 3, 2006

Excellent news, they will all be mine!

Comment

• Remco Monster
                          GLOWS in the Dark!
                          • May 3, 2006

Are these going to be available strictly through Dread Central, or will they be offered through other retailers as well? I was going to pre-order them, but DCs shipping is a little high, however, if they won't be offered elsewhere, I will have to bite the bullet.

Comment

• ScottA
                            Original Member
                            • Jun 25, 2001

Congrats guys. I'll be looking forward to them.
                            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• lepage
                              The Ape General
                              • Aug 12, 2001

There might not be an abundance of NOTLD fans on Mego Island but there is a huge cult following of the film NOTLD. These are people who have no idea what a Mego is but would be delighted to own these because NOTLD merchandising is nill. If Paul , cast away, ctvt relied soley on Mego collector for sales then they would be screwed!
                              There are a lot of figures I would love to see made but they wont because you have to look at the consumer in general and not what a bunch of guys on a forum are asking for.

Comment

• lepage
                                The Ape General
                                • Aug 12, 2001

[QUOTE=drmego;103757]We are doing NOTLD because the film holds a special place in the heart

I'm sure it doesnt hurt either that its Public domain!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎