X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • livnxxxl
    Megoholic RocketScientist
    • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by drmego
    We all have our dream list. In fact, it seems like the favorite pasttime of everyone I met. The fact is that the action figure market is license driven. I would love to make knights, pirates, Romans, Civil War and Revolutionary War soldiers - but very few people will buy them.
    I would most definitely agree. Those types of figures are not something everyone would run out and buy up like the Star Trek, POTA and WGSH lines.
    Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• apes3978
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by zeedox
      Mego = KIDS TOYS
      Night of the Living Dead = NOT KIDS MOVIE

More Mego Please...
      I don't see what the big deal is.

First of all EMCE is not MEGO. EMCE's stuff is reproductions of MEGO and they seem to be branching off into other MEGO-like figures, which is a good thing. Why should they just pigeon-hole themselves into one area of the collectors market (repros) when they can make other 8" articulated figures in the MEGO style? Why should the other lines of "collectors figures" just be made by SPAWN and the like? I'd say let the competition begin. At least these NOTLD figures could be used as custom fodder for MEGO and MEGO-like displays and customs unlike most other "collectors figures" that are often barely posable and/or way out of proportion bodywise, etc.

Second: Yes, NOTLD is more gruesome than some "B" horror flicks, but what makes it any more so than say DRACULA? MEGO made the MAD MONSTERS line, and I'm sure that the films that those figures were based on scared a lot of kids just as much as NOTLD would. (Ok, granted NOTLD is more gruesome, but my point is that some kids would be scared by anything, even if most of the violence/gruesomeness is implied.). I'm also sure that even today there are some parents that would say they are too "un-kidlike". And again, these EMCE figures are not strictly aimed at a kids market. I'm under the impression that they are aimed at the "collectors market" and whoever else decides to collect them, be it people on a MEGO nostalgia kick or kids just discovering MEGO/MEGO-like figures. (And of course the kids of MEGO collectors that want their kids to have the same cool stuff they had as kids, just at a more affordable price.)

Finally, if parents would object to their kids owning something from a film that you say is "not a kids movie" they don't need to buy them for them do they?

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by zeedox
        Mego = KIDS TOYS
        Night of the Living Dead = NOT KIDS MOVIE

More Mego Please...

(Besides this is coming out:
        http://www.amoktime.com/detail.asp?p...er1&subcat=726)
        Hmmm, NOTLD was a Halloween staple on TV when I was a kid. I watched every year. And EMCE's target buyer isn't kids, or they'd be in TRU. The target is us old geeks.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• roman
          Persistent Member
          • Jan 25, 2003

very cool

Hey Paul

nice job. It's nice to see a laborof love.

the film is in black and white though is it not?

Kudos baby

I think the heads are great. As far as the other stuff you all make points but what is cool is it's new, it's different, it's obviously unusal and at a decent price they may sell well.

If I was still a buyer for Hallmark I'd have grabbed this for Halloween sales for sure. Niche audiences can not be overlooked. Mego has it's niche and so does horror. Classic horror is far more interesting that the gore you see now.
          Besides I think this movie has been remade several times has it not?

Will these be the only two or will there be more added?

Despite my attention being drawn to Captain Action I may buy a set if I have some cash to do so.

Good luck guys. Please keep the Mego goodness comin'

Comment

• livnxxxl
            Megoholic RocketScientist
            • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by lepage
            Mego Island
            Smiles, Smiles everyone!! Welcome to Mego Island

May all of your Mego fantasies come true.
            Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• mego73
              Printed paperboard Tiger
              • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by apes3978

Finally, if parents would object to their kids owning something from a film that you say is "not a kids movie" they don't need to buy them for them do they?
              I don't think he was saying that in reference to buying these for children. He was saying it because he believes it violates the sunny, innocent "Mego vibe".

Me, I think NOTLD is borderline. It still was a movie likely to show up on 1970's TV Horror movie times but it was more gruesome then most of them.

The figures, themselves are, without a doubt, "Megolike", especially the ghoul which has a softer, stylized look to it. It doesn't look out of place with any Mego or other 1970's toys.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• Meule
                Verbose Member
                • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by mego73
                The figures, themselves are, without a doubt, "Megolike", especially the ghoul which has a softer, stylized look to it. It doesn't look out of place with any Mego or other 1970's toys.
                Hell, a Mego Mad Monster with melted eyes looks scarier than these NOTLD, which I totally love BTW
                "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• drmego
                  EMCE Toys
                  • Jun 15, 2001

This is what I enjoy about the forums is reading people's opinions of the
                  same subject. We are secretly think that ours is the only "right" opinion,
                  but the truth is that there are many equally valid opinions.

I have always had a view of horror as gory and ugly - but then I see
                  Freddy Kruger and Jason plush dolls - all smooth lines and smiles. It gives
                  me pause. Are the Living Dead dolls by MEZCO cute or gory?

I admit they are not my cup of tea - but goth girls go gaga over them.
                  (Excuse the alliteration.)
                  www.drmego.com
                  www.megoman.com
                  www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by drmego

The fact is that the action figure market is license
                    driven. I would love to make knights, pirates, Romans, Civil War and
                    Revolutionary War soldiers - but very few people will buy them.

Mego only made the knights, pirates, and Robin Hood for two years.
                    They did not sell well enough to kids.

Cotswold made gorgeous Romans and all kinds of 12 inch soldiers from
                    the past and even with the much larger GI Joe fan base, they never
                    were able to sell a lot of them.
                    I think that the problem with Cotswold is that they made a quality product, but at a higher price point. That can put collectors off, especially because Romans, Pirates, etc. are not "character related" (Wolverine, Spock), but more generic. If figures can be made in a lower price range, I still believe they'd sell sufficiently, and the return of Mego could be that format.
                    But then again, I think I'm the only guy who bought the Sideshow Vlad Tepes (on which Dracula was based).
                    Let's just hope we see as many characters as possible in this new Mego era. Night of the Living Dead is just the ticket for me. That ghoul is spot-on, without being gross. Excellent!
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                      Invincible Ironing Man
                      • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      Hmmm, NOTLD was a Halloween staple on TV when I was a kid. I watched every year. And EMCE's target buyer isn't kids, or they'd be in TRU. The target is us old geeks.
                      Yeah, I agree. Kids aren't buying action figures anymore (at least here in Europe they aren't), they want cell phones, Ipods, video games...
                      Sometimes it feels that people in their 30's and 40's are keeping action figures alive. So bring on NOTLD. Us old coots can handle that.
                      Isn't it strange that we're the ones stalking the action figure aisles?
                      Well, at least we're keeping the inner child alive.....
                      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Wise4671
                        Banned
                        • Aug 11, 2007

Love The NOTLD WTG Paul I placed a preorder for 2 of each cant wait to see what the next 2 will look like

Comment

• Goblin19
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 2, 2002

Those are cool. I'll probably pick up a zombie to go with my monsters.

Comment

• megomonkey
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jan 24, 2002

Not a big fan of the movie- but man, those figures look great, can't wait to snag 'em. I love what's happening around the hobby- I'd wanted to see new rotocast Megos like this for over twenty years- and in the last couple years, things have really taken off. Zombies? Phantoms? Khan? Are you kidding me?

Comment

• roman
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jan 25, 2003

Well my last reply is missing so I'll just add that I think the idea is a good one. I like things that are different.

The zombie head is actually cool looking and the " Ben" sculpt is actually apealing for some custom work.....

I may not agree Paul but labors of love are the best. Besides.. you has da cash.....

It's so cool to see all this new stuff decades later

Comment

• Remco Monster
                                GLOWS in the Dark!
                                • May 3, 2006

Nice photo Wise

Haha

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎