Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

I knew that...which only serves to prove what a Star Trek Geek I am.
    sigpic

Comment

• hobub
      Ghost of a Dead Indian
      • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by Histrionic Spock
      Why is this being called a "chase" figure? Becuz the DST description says "limited"? That's how all specialty retail action figures are described these days. EMCE's Klingon and Kirk were "limited", so are the Andorian and Spock, etc. I'm sure Khan will be made in sufficient quantity to sate collectors, just as the other EMCE offerings have been.

And as I said earlier, Diamond may not be offering Khan to the usual online dealers, but there's nothing preventing a dealer from buying a substantial wholesale allotment from the outlets that ARE able to offer it. NewForce has done this many times over the years with exclusives, and then the figure is available to any who want it, at a minimal mark-up over the figure's original cost. Sometimes he even offers them at the same wholesale price he paid.
      Limited/Chase means about the same to me. As long as they don't follow the same scalping pattern that the FX GAH did with DM actually posting it on his site for $300 after undermining the rare value of lines such as RCB, RMR, Andorian and Romulan, I won't be complaining. I just thought that was a bit much. To me, it's kind of like insider trading in a sense

But with my concerns aside, I still think this is awesome. I just don't want to have to pay through the nose to get one nor do I think anyone else should, since these were partly (along with the hard work of the individuals who did it) built on the "blood" (meaning popularity) of former valuable rare figures such as Romulan and Andorian.
      Last edited by hobub; Feb 6, '08, 5:46 PM. Reason: drawing attention to my apparent stupidity!

Comment

• jessica
        fortune favors the bold
        • Nov 5, 2007

So how could I acquire one?
        Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
        Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
        1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Hulk
          Mayor of Megoville
          • May 10, 2003

I will make inquiries to see if I can obtain at least enough to cover my regular customers. I know I'd want help moving these if I were them. Seems like we have a bit of time before these arrive, so lets all be patient and see what we can arrange.

Comment

• Goblin19
            Talkative Member
            • May 2, 2002

I'm not even a Trek fan and I'm amazed at this. I can't wait to see what's down the road.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
              valar morghulis
              • Mar 8, 2005

I stupidly didn't even think about Hastings online store. Reasonable to assume they'll make it available on there..

Founded in 1968, Hastings Entertainment, Inc. is a leading multimedia entertainment retailer that combines the sale of new and used CDs, books, videos and video games, as well as boutique merchandise, with the rental of videos and video games in a superstore format. We currently operate 153 superstores, averaging approximately 20,000 square feet, primarily in medium-sized markets throughout the United States.

We also operate http://www.gohastings.com, an e-commerce Internet web site that makes available to our customers new and used entertainment products and unique, contemporary gifts and toys.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                GLOWS in the Dark!
                • May 3, 2006

I wouldn't count on that. For one, I don't see any action figures for sale on their site, and two, many times store exclusives aren't offered through the retailer's online stores. For example, the G.I. Joe Adventure Team reissues that were exclusive to Wal-Mart weren't offered through walmart.com

Comment

• BlackKnight
                  The DarkSide Customizer
                  • Apr 16, 2005

It is Stupid to call this a "Chase Figure" . Isn't the term for a Chase figure mean that the figure is a variant of a pre-exsisting toy that was already released, with perhaps a different paint job, different close's , boots or a different headsculpts ? I also find it weird , in the stores that they are marketing this behind,.. I have not ever heard of one of them. I wonder if Big Bad Toy Store will get any of these. They seem to be a big supporter of Doc & EMEC, with all the figures they have had, & always seem to get their hands on exclusives or chase figures. Otherwise I am Screwed to the Ebay Scalpers.
                  ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• BendyZaius
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Sep 22, 2005

[QUOTE=hobub;90477]As long as they don't follow the same scalping pattern that the FX GAH did with DM actually posting it on his site for $300 after undermining the rare value of lines such as RCB, RMR, Andorian and Romulan, I won't be complaining.

I agree with you Len, hope they aren't all scalped. I was at FX when the GAH figures went on sale. I had mine within 30 min. I could have gotten 12 if I wanted them then headed back to the hotel and gotten them on eBay with 300.00 BINS like some other people obviously did. Some start times on auctions were within 2 hours of when the figs came out. I didn't of course, but many did. I think stock boys at 'Hastings" will be getting rich off this one like the "Tapestry Picard" years ago.
                    sigpic "Only an apostate would flee to the Forbidden Zone"

Comment

• hobub
                      Ghost of a Dead Indian
                      • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                      It is Stupid to call this a "Chase Figure" . Isn't the term for a Chase figure mean that the figure is a variant of a pre-exsisting toy that was already released, with perhaps a different paint job, different close's , boots or a different headsculpts ? I also find it weird , in the stores that they are marketing this behind,.. I have not ever heard of one of them. I wonder if Big Bad Toy Store will get any of these. They seem to be a big supporter of Doc & EMEC, with all the figures they have had, & always seem to get their hands on exclusives or chase figures. Otherwise I am Screwed to the Ebay Scalpers.
                      "Stupid?", EXCUSE ME?! Isn't exactly a term I'd use around here. You had better watch who you throw insults to pal. I am really not in the mood.
                      Last edited by hobub; Feb 6, '08, 5:36 PM.

Comment

• hobub
                        Ghost of a Dead Indian
                        • Jun 18, 2001

[QUOTE=BendyZaius;90593]
                        Originally posted by hobub
                        As long as they don't follow the same scalping pattern that the FX GAH did with DM actually posting it on his site for $300 after undermining the rare value of lines such as RCB, RMR, Andorian and Romulan, I won't be complaining.

I agree with you Len, hope they aren't all scalped. I was at FX when the GAH figures went on sale. I had mine within 30 min. I could have gotten 12 if I wanted them then headed back to the hotel and gotten them on eBay with 300.00 BINS like some other people obviously did. Some start times on auctions were within 2 hours of when the figs came out. I didn't of course, but many did. I think stock boys at 'Hastings" will be getting rich off this one like the "Tapestry Picard" years ago.
                        Thanks Man. I would have never brought this up in the first place had I not been hit by the downfall of value on what I paid for my RCBs, RMRs, Andorians and Romulans which took a hard hit. I mean if you are going to redistribute the wealth by handing out exact reproductions of rare action figures to everyone without asking anyone what they think about the matter.
                        Perhaps you should not be creating your own Chase, excuse me, BLACKKNIGHT, short run, action figure then selling it on your site for $300. and even ebay for that matter.

Comment

• The Bat
                          Batman Fanatic
                          • Jul 14, 2002

Technically, BK is right...it's not a chase Figure...it's an exclusive. But nitpicking aside...I'm not happy about it either, because I can't order it it through Diamond...and the uncertainty of being able to buy one at a reasonable price.
                          sigpic

Comment

• BlackKnight
                            The DarkSide Customizer
                            • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by hobub
                            "Stupid?", EXCUSE ME?! Isn't exactly a term I'd use around here. You had better watch who you throw insults to pal. I am really not in the mood.

I was not insulting you. I was under the impression that Diamond was marketing the figure as a "chase" figure, and was merly trying to give the definition of what I thought the Term chase figure meant.
                            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• hobub
                              Ghost of a Dead Indian
                              • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                              I was not insulting you. I was under the impression that Diamond was marketing the figure as a "chase" figure, and was merly trying to give the definition of what I thought the Term chase figure meant.
                              No harm then. Just a misunderstanding. I would have accepted "ignorant" more openly because I was. I used the term, because to me, that's what they are; when you create an exclusive to send collectors in a frenzy to get the figure and what ends up is the scalpers get them, put them on ebay or storefronts at obsenely marked up prices.

But all aside, I do respect what Paul is trying to do. I have just been on a fence here because I searched high and low for years, made trades and landed more than a few high ended megos which were ruined in value by his guy in china. The way I feel, is that if that is the way it is to be, then everyone should have an equal hand at getting one. And I for one am one of the biggest fans of Dunsels work and will be landing as many of his pieces as I can.

And Paul, if you are out there. I still love you man. I just wish you hadn't destroyed the value of my rare megos.
                              Last edited by hobub; Feb 6, '08, 6:23 PM.

Comment

• Flynne
                                Permanent Member
                                • Jan 22, 2003

I can't wait to put one of these Khan's on my Trek shelf. To Paul, James, and all others involved - a heartfelt thank you! New Megos (copyrighted names be damned!) will be on the shelf again, and who can't feel the joy of that? I could not be happier. You guys are awesome!
                                An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎