Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayraytee
    Career Member
    • May 27, 2011

No offense, but I would rather the questions be answered by Mattel since none of us really know anything, and those that do can't say. Speculation might be fun, and make us feel important, but means very little. Its kind of the point of asking Mattel, even if you don't get a straight answer, at least the point has been addressed.
    My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

Agreed.
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• geoffdude
        Banned
        • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by jayraytee
        No offense, but I would rather the questions be answered by Mattel since none of us really know anything, and those that do can't say. Speculation might be fun, and make us feel important, but means very little. Its kind of the point of asking Mattel, even if you don't get a straight answer, at least the point has been addressed.
        No offense taken, great thing about forums is anyone can participate by replying to other posts. I understand your frustration though, you know you're able to block any post by a member (even me, that may help) thru your pref settings. However, back to point, the one thing I DO know for sure, (not speculating) is that Target and Walmart will never carry these, and as such that question seemed like wasted effort and a slot for a question(s) that might get an answer.

Though... getting a straight answer from Mattel is a roll of the dice, with 1 in 5 odds, at best. Each month I read a dozen or more of their mass-released Q&A's collected on one site, and their answers range from informative to stating the obvious to a complete waste of time. With Green Lantern, Cars 2 movies out and MOTU, Barbie and Hot Wheels their top-priority, I doubt any more than two retro questions (in total) would even be considered worthy of their time to answer. IMHO.

Regards,

Geoff
        Last edited by geoffdude; Jun 2, '11, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Soooooo...any time frame on when we'll get to read their responses?

Comment

• EMCEtoys
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 1, 2007

Originally posted by geoffdude
            There seems to be many questions based on the same issue... why stay with TRU only for a brick & mortar sales retailer?

The answer is... these were offered up to any store who wanted them at Toy Fair '09, or '10... or, whenever. The toy "buyers" for those stores did NOT want them. Pure and simple. That's the basic reason they will not be in Target/Walmart. TRU's buyers however did come to some agreement with Mattel to sell these, and since no other stores wanted them, they made 'em an "exclusive" item.
            I've just read all your posts, and I'm stunned not only at the total fiction you present but at the assertiveness with which you present it.

I wish I had the time to respond to all your posts point-by-point, but that would take up more of my time than I'm willing to spend. So, I'm just going to take on the biggest one and by the time I'm finished, your credibility will have been completely eradicated and therefore obviate the need for further response.

Here's why they'll never be at Walmart or Target:

Marty Abrams brokered the deal on our part between his longtime friend Neil Friedman, the head of Mattel Brands, and Toys R Us. It was an exclusive from the beginning, Target and Walmart were never even a factor, and they were never presented at Toy Fair for consideration. It was always a Mattel/Toys-R-Us partnership as part of Mattel's at-the-time recent collector strategy. Period.

Marty's pal Neil is now the new CEO of Toys R Us.

Those are the levels we deal with here. Not "team leaders" or store managers.

And just because you've been buying toys for 30 years doesn't even give you the slightest insight at what goes on at these levels. Pretending that it does not only destroys your credibility when inevitably called out by someone who can, but it insults the rest of this community who rely on such information.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

^^^^ Thank you so much for that post.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• geoffdude
                Banned
                • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by EMCEtoys
                I've just read all your posts, and I'm stunned not only at the total fiction you present but at the assertiveness with which you present it.

------------
                What fiction? I claimed they would never be at Walmart or Target. You validate that, so I'm right. I did assume it was a deal made at Toy Fair, but particulars aside, and that hardly matters, my overall point is indeed true.
                ------------
                I wish I had the time to respond to all your posts point-by-point, but that would take up more of my time than I'm willing to spend. So, I'm just going to take on the biggest one and by the time I'm finished, your credibility will have been completely eradicated and therefore obviate the need for further response.
                -----------
                You already claimed previously you were not going to respond to post/threads towards the lines availability, or similar subject matter, awhile back. That obviously didn't hold true, so I'll just assume you'll continue to respond.
                ---------
                Here's why they'll never be at Walmart or Target:

Marty Abrams brokered the deal on our part between his longtime friend Neil Friedman, the head of Mattel Brands, and Toys R Us. It was an exclusive from the beginning, Target and Walmart were never even a factor, and they were never presented at Toy Fair for consideration. It was always a Mattel/Toys-R-Us partnership as part of Mattel's at-the-time recent collector strategy. Period.

-------------
                OK, that's a cool factoid and I'll never forget it. Thanks. Doesn't make my MAIN point of these never being at Target or Walmart any less valid, or that my contention to that point is "fiction".

You seem to take issue with the history of how they became a TRU exclusive... that for me was never an issue, or point of interest at all. Who cares? It was only a ball-park guess how it transpired due to the line being shown at Toy Fair, thus one would assume you were shopping the line out. If the line was not being shopped out as you say... then why go to Toy Fair? Seems a waste of time.

BTW and IMHO, if you had tried to shop these out to Walmart or Target they would not have taken them. Walmart and Target need a very large number of units and at low wholesale pricing to make them interested. This line just doesn't fit that criteria. Again though, the whole "why" issue is moot and doesn't pertain to the end results.

-----------------

Marty's pal Neil is now the new CEO of Toys R Us.

----------
                So?
                ----------

Those are the levels we deal with here. Not "team leaders" or store managers.

--------------
                Never said "you" do. I said I have known people, in those positions, who at times gave information on how "their" stores work on stocking and ordering. Throttle back a bit, you're pedal to the metal in attack mode for really NO reason.
                ---------------

And just because you've been buying toys for 30 years doesn't even give you the slightest insight at what goes on at these levels.

----------
                Yes it does actually, maybe not at YOUR specific vantage point or level, but I don't need to be a farmer to know the details of how milk is made, packaged, ordered, shipped, etc.
                ----------

Pretending that it does not only destroys your credibility when inevitably called out by someone who can, but it insults the rest of this community who rely on such information.

-------------------
                Rely on what information? No important information was being conveyed by me other than this:
                (1) These will not be at Target or Walmart. (T or F ?)
                (2) These will not have collect and connect parts (T or F ?)
                (3) Mattel has had production and distribution issues. (T or F ?)

I think you place too much importance on the trivial stuff, the above questions I answered are either true or they are not. No pretense or fiction was ever intended or meant when I made those claims. Only what seemed obvious.

I would love to see Walmart get these, but you and I know it will NEVER happen.

I await your response.. oh wait.

Regards,

Geoff
                Last edited by geoffdude; Jun 8, '11, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• bjack99
                  Career Member
                  • Mar 11, 2008

Didnt realize this was the "ask Geoffdude" thread.

Comment

• geoffdude
                    Banned
                    • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by bjack99
                    Didnt realize this was the "ask Geoffdude" thread.
                    It's not, but I knew the answers to a few questions... so I tried to help by providing answers. Which some people don't like, even if they were true.

Regards,

Geoff

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

If the line was not being shopped out as you say... then why go to Toy Fair? Seems a waste of time.
                      Geoff
                      "A waste of time"? REALLY? Trade shows are a time efficient and cost effective way for sellers to sell and buyers to buy. It's mass exposure that influences public perception and gives companies a unique opportunity to push current and future product. Look at the impact toy fairs have on this very forum? It allows buyers such as myself to get a unique overview of what is coming out and plan my purchases accordingly. It's an invaluable tool for marketing product and image. In terms of exposure, I would consider toy fairs to be the 'Superbowl' of toys. If you have something in this industry to sell and want as many people to know about it as possible, a toy fair seems like a very smart move.
                      Last edited by MIB41; Jun 8, '11, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• bobbait
                        What, me worry?
                        • Jun 9, 2005

I await your response.. oh wait.

Regards,

Geoff
                        sigpic

Comment

• geoffdude
                          Banned
                          • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by MIB41
                          "A waste of time"? REALLY? Trade shows are a time efficient and cost effective way for sellers to sell and buyers to buy. It's mass exposure that influences public perception and gives companies a unique opportunity to push current and future product. Look at the impact toy fairs have on this very forum? It allows buyers such as myself to get a unique overview of what is coming out and plan my purchases accordingly. It's an invaluable tool for marketing product and image. In terms of exposure, I would consider toy fairs to be the 'Superbowl' of toys. If you have something to sell and want as many people to know about it as possible, a toy fair seems like a very smart move.
                          I understand that, and it WAS quite true at one time... but with the internet (toy forums), toy magazines and Comic Cons, Toy Fair is not as important in that regard (General Marketing) as it used to be. Over the last few years I've heard rumbling of doing away with it as it's currently conducted, and going to a completely different format for buyers and sellers to do business. Recently McFarlane toys, and select other toy companies have not attended for this very reason (lack of importance).

San Diego comic con has moved into that Super Bowl of toys position for exposure IMO.

Regards,

Geoff
                          Last edited by geoffdude; Jun 8, '11, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

Over the last few years I've heard rumbling of doing away with it as it's currently conducted, and going to a completely different format for buyers and sellers to do business. Recently McFarlane toys, and select other toy companies have not attended for this very reason (lack of importance).
                            Regards,
                            Geoff
                            The Toy Industry Association released a recent report on the results of the 2011 Toy Fair. Here are their findings...

The Toy Universe Comes Together in New York!

With over 25,000 attendees, 345,500 square feet of exhibit space, 100,000 products with over 7,000 never before seen in the world, 1,200+ exhibitors, 1,000 global media representatives, the latest updates on Safety legislation and what they mean for your business and four days under one roof to do an entire year’s worth of business, Toy Fair is where the industry gathers.

Whether you are a buyer searching for the hottest trends, an exhibitor ready to showcase your innovative products, a trade professional wanting to discover the next great toy or a member of the media looking for the toy story of the year, Toy Fair has it all!

Toy Fair 2011 – What a Success!

Toy Fair 2011 saw more than 10,000 buyers with a dramatic increase in licensors, entertainment executives and advertising/marketing executives – +35%, +53% and +40% respectively. The total number of attendees increased by 3%, international buyers increased by 9%, international attendees in total were up 13% (more than 10% of trade guests were international), and media attendance increased by 19%!

Food for thought...

Comment

• geoffdude
                              Banned
                              • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by MIB41
                              The Toy Industry Association released a recent report on the results of the 2011 Toy Fair. Here are their findings...

The Toy Universe Comes Together in New York!

With over 25,000 attendees, 345,500 square feet of exhibit space, 100,000 products with over 7,000 never before seen in the world, 1,200+ exhibitors, 1,000 global media representatives, the latest updates on Safety legislation and what they mean for your business and four days under one roof to do an entire year’s worth of business, Toy Fair is where the industry gathers.

Whether you are a buyer searching for the hottest trends, an exhibitor ready to showcase your innovative products, a trade professional wanting to discover the next great toy or a member of the media looking for the toy story of the year, Toy Fair has it all!

Toy Fair 2011 – What a Success!

Toy Fair 2011 saw more than 10,000 buyers with a dramatic increase in licensors, entertainment executives and advertising/marketing executives – +35%, +53% and +40% respectively. The total number of attendees increased by 3%, international buyers increased by 9%, international attendees in total were up 13% (more than 10% of trade guests were international), and media attendance increased by 19%!

Food for thought...
                              I believe this, it's still the only place for all these industry people to meet. It's the foremost place for determining toy trends and what's what. But it's no longer the only place to get exposure for a new line. And to my point above, how much non action figure toy news in general do we really care about coming from Toy Fair? I would assume not too much. Board games, pool toys, stuffed animals, bicycles, etc... don't care. But the action figure stuff shown we remember, we want and we wait for. All that action figure hype can be obtained thru Toy Sites on the web, cons, and magazines. To pay for a trip to NY Toy Fair, and with no need to sell the product shown... then show it anyway... seems like a waste of time and money, IMO. Just send a press release to the 50 plus Toy Sites on the net, to magazines and display the toys at the cons since they are exclusives.

Now if I was trying to get multiple stores to order my product, I'm at Toy Fair for sure.

Regards,

Geoff
                              Last edited by geoffdude; Jun 8, '11, 11:47 PM.

Comment

• samurainoir
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Dec 26, 2006

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎