Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ribefex
    Museum Patron
    • Dec 19, 2008

I´m sorry but I don´t see improvements. There is only the difference between solid hand-painted prototypes and production samples made of vinyl.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

Jacks face is thinner in the factory sample so it looks more like Mat Fox. Miles face is shaped a little different as well.
      I just want to be on the record as saying I really dig this line and my earlier comments are not meant as criticism of what BBP has created. it was just my observations.

Comment

• megoscott
        Founding Partner
        • Nov 17, 2006

The Kate head is kind of fascinating. It's 2 parts. Her face is squishy vinyl but the hair is a semi hard plastic. Similar process as the beards on Venture brothers.
        Last edited by megoscott; Jan 22, '11, 3:41 PM.
        This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Meule
          Verbose Member
          • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by jacoblb
          To me, Miles looks a bit better in the prototype form, but the other two are vast improvements. I think Jack is about as close a likeness one can achieve in 8" scale; Sawyer seems to need a bit more work.
          Agreed, Mile actually looked spot on in the prototype, they should've left him alone.
          Jack is a HUGE improvement, but still long way off. And so is Sawyer. Show these 2 sculpts to 10 people without the suit and without telling they're characters from Lost and you'll be lucky if one of those 10 people knows who these are.

I really don't get it, there are so many great sculptors out there, why mess around with an amateur? Plenty of people here who could do a better job. Judging from other lines it shouldn't be that hard to get a better likeness, all you need is a better sculptor
          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• megoscott
            Founding Partner
            • Nov 17, 2006

If I'm not mistaken---and please, someone who knows the facts feel free to correct me---the sample heads we are seeing are made from the original sculpt in the prototype photo--they are not refining the sculpt at this stage. The thing has been tooled, but I think there's a certain amount of variation or distortion that's happening when it gets made. That was really apparent in Jacob (stretched neck, facial detail lost) and I think that's what's been more or less corrected . Also, comparing proto to vinyl--we are seeing detail that comes out in the vinyl that gets lost in a painted resin head, so Jack for instance looks a lot better, but I think it's still the same sculpt.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

is the Kate head plugged like the mail heads? I have not opened mine but looking at it there does not appear to be a neck stem like Mego used and it looks like it is plugged into the torso

Comment

• megoscott
                Founding Partner
                • Nov 17, 2006

Yep, it's plugged.

Comment

• megoscott
                  Founding Partner
                  • Nov 17, 2006

Sayid surfaced today!

I think I like the paintjob on the proto better, these eyebrows are a bit heavy, maybe?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I don't know much about "Lost"--did not watch it.

But the clothing on these figures looks excellent!!
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LovethoseMegos
                      Lover of Megos
                      • Jan 3, 2010

They all look good except sawyer. He looks like he has a grinch face.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                        Often invisible
                        • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by MegoScott
                        If I'm not mistaken---and please, someone who knows the facts feel free to correct me---the sample heads we are seeing are made from the original sculpt in the prototype photo--they are not refining the sculpt at this stage. The thing has been tooled, but I think there's a certain amount of variation or distortion that's happening when it gets made. That was really apparent in Jacob (stretched neck, facial detail lost) and I think that's what's been more or less corrected . Also, comparing proto to vinyl--we are seeing detail that comes out in the vinyl that gets lost in a painted resin head, so Jack for instance looks a lot better, but I think it's still the same sculpt.
                        That is probably correct. The vinyl seems to warp a bit and the results will differ slightly from the sculpt. I don't know if there is a way to predict what it's going to do either, perhaps if someone had years of experience seeing how the vinyl changed from the sculpt. But that is probably why the vinyl heads look a bit thinner than the protos.
                        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎