Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geoffdude
    Banned
    • Apr 18, 2009

My statement is based on the current $19.99 price point. Neither store would stock these as they are offered currently.

Regards,

Geoff

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
    I'm usually in lock-step on agreement with your posts regarding this line but I have to disagree with that statement. I do believe that if these were promoted (offered) to Walmart & Target with the price at $10-$12 they would stock them. They've stocked similar figures and even had exclusives. We'd all be the winners if that were the case. The production numbers would skyrocket and there would be 500 times the visibility of these on the shelves. Plus if you were really lucky you could get a smoking deal when they clearance them out to make room for new waves.

Rich

Comment

• Astronut
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 21, 2010

Geoff, would you agree that if they were priced at $9.99 they would be given a better chance for shelf space at other retailers? And therefore given a better chance at success?
      Last edited by Astronut; Dec 11, '10, 6:41 PM.

Comment

• MegoSteve
        Superman's Pal
        • Jun 17, 2005

Yes, and if they were a penny each, they'd be flying off the shelves.

Comment

• Astronut
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 21, 2010

Originally posted by MegoSteve
          Yes, and if they were a penny each, they'd be flying off the shelves.
          Dude, that's such a baseless, irrelevant comment I don't even know how to respond. Obviously if a new car was priced at a dollar they would all sell. But that does not address in any way the relevance of perceived value. The Retro-Action figures do not merit a price point of twenty dollars. I don't care who spins it or how. It's an item that should be retailing at ten or twelve dollars a piece if it is ever going to stand a chance at appealing to a non-collector, non-elitist market. Price it high and sell a few. Price it for the masses and sell a ton. Pretty much Business 101. Go ahead, keep spinning it, it won't change reality.
          Last edited by Astronut; Dec 11, '10, 8:36 PM.

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

Nothing at TJ Maxx here....
            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Astronut
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 21, 2010

And I might add, what a sad, unfortunate missed opportunity that Mattel did not look at the bigger picture and at least attempt to get these into multiple retailers at a ten dollar price point. And anyone who buys the "whoa is me, these cost a fortune to manufacture etc etc" argument needs to get a clue. Do you think for one minute McDonalds would make a profit on it's $1 value menu items if it sold a few hundred of them? No, but they make a killing when they sell a half million. Regardless of the fact that you may feel the figures have "Wilty body stances" or sculpts you don't agree with, Mattel made two grave errors IMO: 1) It limited consumer access and 2) It priced itself into a corner. Some of you reading this are sure to disagree -- particularly the people behind the scenes and the uninformed -- but that is exactly how I see it. The Mego dream... almost brought back on a massive scale. Allllmost. But it wont happen given current conditions. What a shame. A Mego resurgence is what i have had dreams of for 25 years. Imagine! Little kids buying and playing with Megos in 2010. But it won't happen at $20 a figure. I love what they did with the new Retro-Action figures. I really do. And I love Mego. Breaks my heart.
              Last edited by Astronut; Dec 11, '10, 9:11 PM.

Comment

• jimsmegos
                Mego Dork
                • Nov 9, 2008

Branson, MO TJ Maxxx had one each of wave 2 and 1 Superman this afternoon. Superman and Batman came home with me. I feel bad about leaving Aquaman to deal with Black Manta and Two Face, but this week's lunch money only went so far. I may be out of luck with pocket money for the week but dang it I bought two new Mego's off the store shelves for $20. Schwing!

I do have to admit though that this is not a good sign for the line. Regardless of the reason why these figures are in an overstock store, the bigger concern is that they were sitting there in plain sight and I'm the only one that seemed to care. Even the 18 year old cashier was like "Oh, we have these. Cool. I'd get one for my boyfriend but he's a Marvel guy. Have you seen the new preview?"

Not looking to good for the future of the line IMO

Comment

• jimsmegos
                  Mego Dork
                  • Nov 9, 2008

And on a side note, for curiosity sake the Toys R Express in Branosn, MO didn't have any and the clerks had no idea what I was talking about.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                    MeGoing
                    • May 14, 2003

We went to TJ Maxx and Marshall's today. Nothing

Comment

• jemboy2004
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 14, 2005

Originally posted by Astronut
                      Dude, that's such a baseless, irrelevant comment I don't even know how to respond. Obviously if a new car was priced at a dollar they would all sell. But that does not address in any way the relevance of perceived value. The Retro-Action figures do not merit a price point of twenty dollars. I don't care who spins it or how. It's an item that should be retailing at ten or twelve dollars a piece if it is ever going to stand a chance at appealing to a non-collector, non-elitist market. Price it high and sell a few. Price it for the masses and sell a ton. Pretty much Business 101. Go ahead, keep spinning it, it won't change reality.
                      Hmmm interesting but if you look at similar sized dolls/figures that are clothed they go for about 20 bucks, example Moster High(the retro females use the same body as these dolls) and mattel didn't pay a licence fee since those are their characters, they cost 18-20 depending where you buy them. I don't see them selling for 10 even if they were sold all over like the monster high are and selling around the same price.

Comment

• Astronut
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 21, 2010

Originally posted by jemboy2004
                        Hmmm interesting but if you look at similar sized dolls/figures that are clothed they go for about 20 bucks, example Moster High(the retro females use the same body as these dolls) and mattel didn't pay a licence fee since those are their characters, they cost 18-20 depending where you buy them. I don't see them selling for 10 even if they were sold all over like the monster high are and selling around the same price.
                        Sorry, those are priced too high as well. IMO. The market dictates price, that is true. But seriously, we have some plastic and cloth and some hand painting. In China. For pennies on the dollar. Wonder how many units they end up selling at $20 a pop... I bet the number is not very impressive...

I will say this though. A niche category can get away with a higher price point since the number of units sold will not be huge. MAINSTREAM DC COMICS CHARACTERS on the other hand can -- and should -- be priced at a reasonable price point because many more people will be inclined to purchase them.

Greed, folks. Greed.
                        Last edited by Astronut; Dec 11, '10, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                          Banned
                          • Jun 23, 2001

My God there's more and more whining about this line??!!?? Really??!!?? Buy it or don't buy it...the choice is yours....but enough with the "If it they were only 10 bucks..." (IF the Queen had balls she'd be the King) They're not...and if you want to buy them at that price then wait for them to go to the discount store and buy them...but PLEASE enough is enough already. WE ALL GET THE POINT.

Comment

• Astronut
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 21, 2010

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                            My God there's more and more whining about this line??!!?? Really??!!?? Buy it or don't buy it...the choice is yours....but enough with the "If it they were only 10 bucks..." (IF the Queen had balls she'd be the King) They're not...and if you want to buy them at that price then wait for them to go to the discount store and buy them...but PLEASE enough is enough already. WE ALL GET THE POINT.
                            Listen up, judge/jury/executioner. I was making comments and voicing an opinion regarding the (limited) availability and (greedy) price point of these. I don't need your blessing to put that out there. Last time i checked, its what makes the world go round. You may not agree with it and that's fine. But to tell people to F off because you don't agree is pretty narrow-minded. So why not take your high and mighty self and go stuff it.

Comment

• dorky tough guy
                              • Mar 16, 2008

I got 3 at the local TJ Maxx today. 2 Aquamen, 1 RC Bats. I shredded an Aqua and the RC Bats since I have doubles of both.

I would have bought them out if there had been more there but they were the only 3 I saw. I really want Manta and would like to have a Two-Face as well.

On a side note, I picked up a few of the Hall of Fame 3 3/4 inch G.I. Joes for $5.99 each. Got the re-issues of Snake Eyes, Firefly and Zartan and they had a few more other guys if anyone is into Joe stuff. Also got a re-issue Sharc-Tooth with Deep Six for $7 bucks! Before this thread, I never knew that TJ Maxx even sold toys.

I think I'll be checking out all the TJ's and Marshall's within 75 miles in the next few weeks to see what I can find.

Comment

• jemboy2004
                                Persistent Member
                                • Aug 14, 2005

Originally posted by Astronut
                                Sorry, those are priced too high as well. IMO. The market dictates price, that is true. But seriously, we have some plastic and cloth and some hand painting. In China. For pennies on the dollar. Wonder how many units they end up selling at $20 a pop... I bet the number is not very impressive...

I will say this though. A niche category can get away with a higher price point since the number of units sold will not be huge. MAINSTREAM DC COMICS CHARACTERS on the other hand can -- and should -- be priced at a reasonable price point because many more people will be inclined to purchase them.

Greed, folks. Greed.
                                Here's where I think your wrong. First those monster high dolls are main stream, their the hottest girl toy this year and sell out everywhere. I've been looking for them for my niece and I noticed the lady retro figures use this body and mattel doesn't pay for the license either and they cost the same price. In the 70s metis were what 4? Each. Prices have gone way up! Does mattel charge 7 each for those tiny plastic DC figures? They are sold everywhere tooso 20 for these seems about right to me. But if you think it's greed you could wait for the sales or clearances.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎