Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toyman
    Just Another Collector
    • Sep 1, 2008

I found black manta and two face today at tj maxx but that was all they had in blacksburg,but i plan on going to beckley wv tomorrow to see if they have any,each trip is about an hour each way but well worth it to buy them from the shelves.The closest TRU is about an hour and forty five minutes each way so I don't make it there very often.

Comment

• Zemo
      Still Smokin'
      • Feb 14, 2006

Originally posted by EMCEtoys
      At this point? Speculate away.

The response to this wave, the recognition of the improvements to the base body, the quality of the sculpts and costumes, the enthusiasm over something as simple as Captain Cold's accessories...I feel that our mission is now accomplished.

What saddens me is that, no matter how hard we work, and no matter what wins we have like this, there are still a handful of deeply unhappy people out there who have the luxury of time to trash it all over the internet. And even sadder, those are the voices that are the loudest.

And these loud voices do indeed have an impact. One miscreant actually posted on Amazon the conspiracy theory that Paul deliberately manipulated Mattel to produce inferior bodies just so he could sell more of his own. So, clearly someone who is a Mego fan who knows all the players, with some kind of bizarre beef.

Yes, I can already hear you say, "Oh, they're nuts, just ignore them."

Well, right after that psycho's comment was another comment from someone clearly not from the community, to the effect of "Thanks for the warning...I was going to buy these because I remember them as a kid, but I'm glad I saved my money."

Sale lost.

I tracked the "stranger" down and offered him a couple samples of our stuff so he could see what we've been working on and judge for himself and he was elated. So, we may not have made a sale at that point, but we may have gained a new customer.

And that was just the one I caught.

So look. At this point, we have Toy Fair coming up and lots of stuff we're working on for it, and I've spent an inordinate amount of time on these boards the last week just to gauge reaction to the newest wave, only to be caught up in all the speculation about the future. We've told what we know, we've been more transparent than most, and Wave 3 has proven what can be done.

I can't speak for Paul, but I'm definitely gonna go quiet for a while, because I have dead people to sculpt. Speculate on that.

So, it's a pleasure to have beeen able to put Mego superheroes under people's trees this year (or, at least one for each day of Hanukkah), especially those as good as have come out in the last few weeks alone. I couldn't be prouder to have been able to help my friend Paul achieve his dream of bringing them all to you.

Happy Holidays and see you next year.

Comment

• Iron Mego
        Wake Up Heavy
        • Jan 31, 2010

No luck for me at the second TJM in town, or one of our Marshall's. Don't know if I'll make the trek to the other nearby Marshall's, I might just hit the same TJM this weekend where I found Aquaman to looks for Bats.
        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• MegoMonk
          Career Member
          • Jan 22, 2007

I came home last night after finding TRU in Brooklyn on Bay Parkway still did not have Wave 2 or 3. They had some Gremlins with damaged cards. At 9:30 last night I saw this thread for the first time. There is a TJ Maxx in walking distance of my house in Staten Island. So, I walked there at 9:30pm in 30 degree weather. Of course, they did not have any EMCEs, etc. I did see a lot of thomas the Tank engine, which I will buy for my son. I may try the TJ Maxx on Forest Avenue and the Marshalls near the SI Mall over the weekend.
          Last edited by MegoMonk; Dec 9, '10, 8:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Audiorij
            Museum Super Collector
            • Nov 6, 2009

I alluded to this in another thread, but my brother and I run a couple of websites for a couple bands. One band took preorders in order to pay for the recording of an album. We updated people as to how close they were to the budget goal, when it started getting close we updated the fans on how the song writing and recording was going. (We are also the moderators of the bands boards.)

Then we were accused of making up the updates, by a vocal few, who also started posting that the band never intended to fulfill the preorders and that the album would never come out. When we are still trying to raise enough money to continue, discouraging the other fans from buying on the bands website where they are trying to raise the funds becomes a self fulfilled prophecy. Luckily, we raised more cash in spite of them and the album came out.

We also were the targets of passive aggressive little darts of hatred. Its crazy when the very fans of your product undermine the system that is trying to bring it to them.

Who the heck knows why these things ended up at TJ Max, maybe it was a mistake and they were not even supposed to get them, but since they did... they will sell em off.. who the heck knows. There could be 50 different reasons and not all of them have to be bad.
            My wants

Good Traders

Comment

• Duncan
              Museum focus-groupie
              • Jun 27, 2009

Well, the one thing that concerns me is that the TRU near me never got wave 2. I wanted to buy it from TRU to encourage them to stock the product, but I couldn't since they never got it in.

Now, think this through a little further: The most popular characters should be Batman, followed by Superman. Those should be the figures that get kids in the habit of buying the line of figures. However, Superman sold out quickly, and Batman never made it to TRU, or at least mine. It's unfortunate that this turn of events has caused Batman not to be on TRU's pegs during the X-mas rush, and I think that either TRU or Mattel has caused harm to the line. I didn't see a lot of kids in Marshall's or TJM; that's lost publicity.

Now, I'm not criticizing anyone who made the figures, and I'm not speculating about anything negative. I like the figs and I've bought several. I just really hope that the TRU near me gets tons of Batman & Superman in stock, so little kids can get 'em and beg their parents for the rest of the line.

Comment

• geoffdude
                Banned
                • Apr 18, 2009

Not TRUs fault at all. How could it be?

Regards,

Geoff

Originally posted by Duncan
                Well, the one thing that concerns me is that the TRU near me never got wave 2. I wanted to buy it from TRU to encourage them to stock the product, but I couldn't since they never got it in.

Now, think this through a little further: The most popular characters should be Batman, followed by Superman. Those should be the figures that get kids in the habit of buying the line of figures. However, Superman sold out quickly, and Batman never made it to TRU, or at least mine. It's unfortunate that this turn of events has caused Batman not to be on TRU's pegs during the X-mas rush, and I think that either TRU or Mattel has caused harm to the line. I didn't see a lot of kids in Marshall's or TJM; that's lost publicity.

Now, I'm not criticizing anyone who made the figures, and I'm not speculating about anything negative. I like the figs and I've bought several. I just really hope that the TRU near me gets tons of Batman & Superman in stock, so little kids can get 'em and beg their parents for the rest of the line.

Comment

• geoffdude
                  Banned
                  • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by Audiorij
                  I alluded to this in another thread, but my brother and I run a couple of websites for a couple bands. One band took preorders in order to pay for the recording of an album. We updated people as to how close they were to the budget goal, when it started getting close we updated the fans on how the song writing and recording was going. (We are also the moderators of the bands boards.)

Then we were accused of making up the updates, by a vocal few, who also started posting that the band never intended to fulfill the preorders and that the album would never come out. When we are still trying to raise enough money to continue, discouraging the other fans from buying on the bands website where they are trying to raise the funds becomes a self fulfilled prophecy. Luckily, we raised more cash in spite of them and the album came out.

We also were the targets of passive aggressive little darts of hatred. Its crazy when the very fans of your product undermine the system that is trying to bring it to them.

Who the heck knows why these things ended up at TJ Max, maybe it was a mistake and they were not even supposed to get them, but since they did... they will sell em off.. who the heck knows. There could be 50 different reasons and not all of them have to be bad.
                  It's only 1 of 2 reasons, not 50, .. and it's no "mistake". Either they are overstock (which amounts to too many made, and not enough orders placed, and some orders canceled), or it's the demise of the line (which is currently too pre-mature to know for sure). Purchasing of product in bulk lots is the base operation sales model for TJ Maxx/Marshalls.. and Big Lots and Tuesday Morning. Merchandise purchased at cut-rate whole sale prices, and typically being cleared out, is the only product they buy and stock.

Regards,

Geoff
                  Last edited by geoffdude; Dec 9, '10, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• geoffdude
                    Banned
                    • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by sprytel
                    It's even funnier when you look at what else is in the toy section at TJ Maxx: GI Joe, Transformers, Barbie, Thomas the Tank Engine, etc. I guess all those guys are dead too....
                    Overstock on those specific assortments. But for those brands you also see Infinite Heroes, Avatar, Mighty Muggs, Indiana Jones, etc., all ex-lines.

That being said, I don't think the DC Retro line is there because of it's demise. It's more than likely there because TRU can not get rid of Assortment 1.. and will not take delivery of additional (to be clear updated to "additional") assortment 2.. which is a snafu that "could" be a problem in the future for the line if not resolved, and FAST.

Regards,

Geoff
                    Last edited by geoffdude; Dec 10, '10, 1:01 AM.

Comment

• geoffdude
                      Banned
                      • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by Mojo
                      I wouldnt worry about it. I think that since they are exclusives, TRU had to order a minimum quantity from Mattel. They probably had to order quite a bit for the commission. Now only a certain amount sell but enough to make a profit. And they dump the overstock through the discounters probably for cost so they make their money back or take a small loss.Im sure the mark up is pretty high. Gotta clear out waves 1&2 to make room for 3&4!
                      The Wave 2 "overstock" at TJ Maxx was bought from Mattel, not TRU.

This is typically the way bulk rate lots are bought by bargain stores, from the toy manufacture, not the retail stores. (Though not always.)

Regards,

Geoff

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                        Moderation Engineer
                        • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by geoffdude
                        The Wave 2 "overstock" at TJ Maxx was bought from Mattel, not TRU.

This is typically the way bulk rate lots are bought by bargain stores, from the toy manufacture, not the retail stores. (Though not always.)

Regards,

Geoff
                        Geoff:

You seem to know everything about this. Is it a fact that the discount figures came directly from Mattel, or is this just a speculatorial based on your past experience?

Comment

• rche
                          channeling Bob Wills
                          • Mar 26, 2008

I'll trade a Bats for a Manta

Hiya folks. I found some of these at the TJ in north Austin. I picked up a Two Face for my boy, but they did not have any Black Manta figures.
                          Anyone got a Black Manta out of one of these deals that you would like to swap for a Batman. I know where I can get a couple of 'em.

Comment

• geoffdude
                            Banned
                            • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by Azrak
                            Geoff:

You seem to know everything about this. Is it a fact that the discount figures came directly from Mattel, or is this just a speculatorial based on your past experience?
                            I do not have a direct connection to anyone at Mattel, or TRU, but that's "typically" the way these things work.

For TRU, if they took "delivery", or received, these items (Wave 2) from Mattel, then they would almost certainly put them up on the pegs in main stores.. or in their TRU-holiday stores. TRU wouldn't blow them out, or purge them, at this date and time (Christmas/new assortment).. they would try selling them for awhile. Also, if TRU was paring down their DC Retro stock, then you would see plenty of Wave 1 figures at these bargain stores too... which we are not.

So basically, to answer the question, it's an educated guess, but one that's 99.9% logical to postulate.

Regards,

Geoff

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                              Persistent Member
                              • Feb 18, 2007

Geoff how can you say its not TRU's fault? Put the toys on the shelf...they sell. Refuse to put the toys on the shelf....they dont. THe product has improved each wave....its a mistake to not sell these toys. Kudos to mattel for finding someone to peddle their product. Next year we may find its walmart, and Target pushing the Retros out their door, and TRU is wishing they hadn't stalled the line.

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                                Persistent Member
                                • Feb 18, 2007

TRU is pushing wave two in their Express stores. So I guess TRU has received shipment of this wave....whats that do to your theory. Stop trying to be a party pooper and take your Ba Humbug elswhere sir!

Originally posted by geoffdude
                                I do not have a direct connection to anyone at Mattel, or TRU, but that's "typically" the way these things work.

For TRU, if they took "delivery", or received, these items (Wave 2) from Mattel, then they would almost certainly put them up on the pegs in main stores.. or in their TRU-holiday stores. TRU wouldn't blow them out, or purge them, at this date and time (Christmas/new assortment).. they would try selling them for awhile. Also, if TRU was paring down their DC Retro stock, then you would see plenty of Wave 1 figures at these bargain stores too... which we are not.

So basically, to answer the question, it's an educated guess, but one that's 99.9% logical to postulate.

Regards,

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎