Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoSteve
    Superman's Pal
    • Jun 17, 2005

My comments aren't baseless; I'm just mocking you a little bit because your idea that Mattel is selling a figure for twice the price because they are "greedy" IS completely baseless and, frankly, pretty ignorant of the toy industry as a whole. You repeatedly state that Mattel could charge $10 for each figure, and you have absolutely no idea what those figures cost to license, design, manufacture, assemble, package, market, and distribute.

It is flatly ridiculous to think that Mattel should sell a niche 8" figure with a complex cloth outfit for $10 when there are 3-3/4" mass market all-plastic figures selling for $8-9.

You are absolutely right that you can voice your opinion here, but that doesn't give you the right to avoid having those opinions criticized and dismissed as silly and uninformed.

Comment

• BlackKnight
      The DarkSide Customizer
      • Apr 16, 2005

Hasbro 3 &3/4 inch

Marvel } 8.97 .

JOES & StarWars right now ? 6 Bucks.

Super Heroes Cost. & The Price of Materials right now to make Toys, is Ridiculous.
      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• ScottA
        Original Member
        • Jun 25, 2001

Yep. I'm getting real sick of the Mattel haters/whiners as well. Don't like them, don't buy them. But stop telling me after each wave you don't like them. I'm tired of hearing it.

Unless you actually work for Mattel or at TRU headquarters you have NO idea how they do things. To think you do is just stupid.
        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• geoffdude
          Banned
          • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by Astronut
          Geoff, would you agree that if they were priced at $9.99 they would be given a better chance for shelf space at other retailers? And therefore given a better chance at success?
          Yes, I would agree that could happen. Target and Walmart (Walmart specifically) buy in bulk, to sell as cheap as they can. Toys for both companies are classified as "loss-leaders", which means they take a loss on toys in general.. but, they use them to bring in Moms/Dads with their little kiddies, so that the parents buy bigger ticket items.

If the price point on an item is WAY too much of a "loss" from the get-go, Walmart won't bother with it, and then Target will not either. These stores need mass produced toys, at low wholesale prices, to make it worth their while to stock and keep these toy sales & losses to a minimum.

These "might" have a chance at $9.99.. but with Walmart controlling the shots (mostly) on what toys get produced overall, they would still be a tough sell since they are aimed at collectors primarily.

Regards,

g.

Comment

• WannabeMego
            Made in the USA
            • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
            I've been a critic of this line ever since the beginning but as you can see I do support it when all things fall into place...
            I'm sorry...buying them at a discount place is not supporting the line. It's not like the discount place is going to order more directly from Mattel (which they probably haven't) if they sell well.

I'm not saying people shouldn't look and wait for the best price, but that statement is just total BS.
            Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
              MeGoing
              • May 14, 2003

'Tis the Season to be Merry.

Peace
              Joy
              Love

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
                Time to feed the cat
                • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by ScottA
                Yep. I'm getting real sick of the Mattel haters/whiners as well. Don't like them, don't buy them. But stop telling me after each wave you don't like them. I'm tired of hearing it.

Unless you actually work for Mattel or at TRU headquarters you have NO idea how they do things. To think you do is just stupid.
                well said

Comment

• geoffdude
                  Banned
                  • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by ScottA

Well, a forum is for conversation. The nature of discourse is to have "individual" interchanges of ideas, or thoughts, of which some may not always be in line with your own. And that "should" be fine. How interesting would it be if we were all Stepford wives?

For the record:

-I like the line.
                  -I have bought them all (2 of some)
                  -I think they are just a tad too pricey, but I understand the price point.
                  -There have been quality issues with the bodies, and goo in shells.
                  -There are distribution issues.
                  -Mattel is a company I do not like, nor will I ever, unless they make changes in how they operate and treat customers.

To note - I don't work for either TRU or Mattel, however I DO know how they work, think and "behave" in many, many, regards. I have a pretty good friend who is a TRU Manager, and I've been customers of both businesses for over 35 years, I've read almost every Q&A "press-release" Mattel has made for years on most hobby websites and lastly I've paid attention when industry insiders from Toy Guru, Jesse Falcon, Jason Geyer, the Four Horseman and others talk about the industry, or Walmart/Target/TRU/Kmart employees talk about the stores they work for. In summary, I listen and remember.

I challenge you to point out ONE thing I have ever posted that was incorrect on how either of these businesses (TRU and Mattel) operate. Should be easy, all my post are here. I don't think making educated, obvious, and informed statements about companies I may not work for as "stupid". In fact, I think using the word to express your frustration at a situation you're unhappy with more in line with being such.

Regards,

geoff
                  Last edited by geoffdude; Dec 12, '10, 5:25 PM.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                    Moderation Engineer
                    • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers

'Tis the Season to be Merry.

Peace
                    Joy
                    Love

A little perspective goes a long way!

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                      Moderation Engineer
                      • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by geoffdude
                      Well, a forum is for conversation. The nature of discourse is to have "individual" interchanges of ideas, or thoughts, of which some may not always be in line with your own. And that "should" be fine. How interesting would it be if we were all Stepford wives?

For the record:

-I like the line.
                      -I have bought them all (2 of some)
                      -I think they are just a tad too pricey, but I understand the price point.
                      -There have been quality issues with the bodies, and goo in shells.
                      -There are distribution issues.
                      -Mattel is a company I do not like, nor will I ever, unless they make changes in how they operate and treat customers.

To note - I don't work for either TRU or Mattel, however I DO know how they work, think and "behave" in many, many, regards. I have a pretty good friend who is a TRU Manager, and I've been customers of both businesses for over 35 years, I've read almost every Q&A "press-release" Mattel has made for years on most hobby websites and lastly I've paid attention when industry insiders from Toy Guru, Jesse Falcon, Jason Geyer, the Four Horseman and others talk about the industry, or Walmart/Target/TRU/Kmart employees talk about the stores they work for. In summary, I listen and remember.

I challenge you to point out ONE thing I have ever posted that was incorrect on how either of these businesses (TRU and Mattel) operate. Should be easy, all my post are here. I don't think making educated, obvious, and informed statements about companies I may not work for as "stupid". In fact, I think using the word to express your frustration at a situation you're unhappy with more in line with being such.

Regards,

geoff
                      Being an intelligent, articulate, longtime customer and reader of toy magazines doesn't make you an expert. "Stupid" may have been too strong a word in Scott's post, but at the end of the day you don't *know* anything. You're making educated guesses which may or may not be correct. We may never know what has gone on behind the scenes regarding this line. The constant back and forth does get old for a lot of us, especially those of us who get accused of trying to squash opinions because of alleged preferential treatment we're giving our "buddies." I've been critical of both EMCE and Mattel, and the idea that any of us are kissing up or in someone's pocket is completely wrong.

Comment

• geoffdude
                        Banned
                        • Apr 18, 2009

Actually, I know quite a bit. Feel free to point out where something is "wrong" in any of my post. I'll gladly admit to it... we can even discuss it. Otherwise your contention is false.

*BTW, I don't read any Toy magazines.

Regards,

Geoff

Originally posted by Azrak
                        Being an intelligent, articulate, longtime customer and reader of toy magazines doesn't make you an expert. "Stupid" may have been too strong a word in Scott's post, but at the end of the day you don't *know* anything. You're making educated guesses which may or may not be correct. We may never know what has gone on behind the scenes regarding this line. The constant back and forth does get old for a lot of us, especially those of us who get accused of trying to squash opinions because of alleged preferential treatment we're giving our "buddies." I've been critical of both EMCE and Mattel, and the idea that any of us are kissing up or in someone's pocket is completely wrong.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                          The DarkSide Customizer
                          • Apr 16, 2005

Actually, I know quite a bit. Feel free to point out where something is "wrong" in any of my post. I'll gladly admit to it... we can even discuss it. Otherwise your contention is false.

Regards,

Geoff
                          Yeah ?
                          Then Who Are You, Really ?
                          Are You Actually Somebody in the Industry ? Or Some Over Zealous FanBoy Key Board Warrior , That Acts as if He is Somebody, and Must Have the Final Word on Any Toy Line that is Discussed on this Forum ?

I can't figure it out. Know Now, alot of people Feel the Same Way, and Perhaps you Come Off Consistantly Wrong, Every Damn Time you Type, If It's something Completely Different.
                          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

Regards,

Geoff
                            My bad - I wasn't careful with my words when I limited your knowledge base to print and a buddy who manages a TRU; I should have shown a little more respect for your internet research.

Comment

• RG
                              Removed.
                              • Oct 1, 2004

I remember looking forward to the line, I bought green arrow, and superman, green lantern, Lex ... but the thing that bugged me wasn't the body issues, it's the fact they weren't Megos. the price yeah a little high but $9.99 is kind of low when you see that the 3 3/4 iron man figures are like $7.99 each. So I just don't buy them and sold what I did buy. my issue sloved, lol. I just don't see them as megos they don't feel like megos they're made about 30 years too late to be megos, I'm a mego collector.

But, from watching toys come and go from stores shelves for about 20 years of being a collector of many lines over the years. I gotta say them showing up at TJ's isn't a good sign. Really kind of reminds me of the Marvel Legends showdown game figures (the 3 3/4 inch figures that came with game cards) very cool figures in a fun scale, but the game made them out of a fair price point. they had I think 4 waves before they were gone. wave 1 everywhere very common, wave 2 still pretty common a bit harder to find ... wave 3 ... I never saw ... wave 4 never saw either .... then all of a sudden they showed up at Big Lots ... wave 3 and 4 that is for 1/2 the normal retail price ... next thing you know you walk into target, K-mart etc. and they had them for $2 for single figures and $3 for the two packs ... then they were gone.

The Toys r Us in salem's pegs are so full of wave one of retro they have them laying on shelves and all just lex and sin, with a green lantern here and there ... the two bad guys not moving in this area at all. I hope it's not the end of the line, but you gotta admit it's not looking good. I think wave 1 of having lex and sinestro is what hurt ... superman is sold out most times and so is Green Lantern ... should have had main heroes and major villians that look cool, then they would have moved.
                              Last edited by RG; Dec 12, '10, 9:01 PM.

Comment

• beartex2000
                                For display only!!
                                • Jun 2, 2007

Is it possible the current batch at tj has some defect that caused tru to reject them.? Any up close inspection of this lot?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎