X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boynightwing
    That Carl Guy
    • Apr 24, 2002

Originally posted by Mister Kennedy
    Personally I think these toys are disgracing the Mego name.
    I have to ask why you're even reading this forum then...

These guys are doing a wonderful job and if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have new Trek, or Apes, Venture Brothers, or even Mattel Retro. I'm thankful they took the bold steps to make this happen.

Comment

• Astronut
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 21, 2010

Agreed 100%

Some people are just haters.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

the Mattel bashing has become tired. Enough already. we get it that some of our fellow Megoheads do not like it. give it a rest now. I like the retro action line, just wish they were easier to find at retail.....LOL

Comment

• Meule
          Verbose Member
          • Nov 14, 2004

The only thing that sucks (for now) is the only thing EMCE didn't have a hand in: the Mattel body. But from what I've heard Mattel is planning to redesign it WITH OUR HELP.
          Seems to me once that is done there won't be any more complaints, only raving critiques
          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

I think the Mattel line has been a great idea to see developed and produced. I own them all, but got most of Wave 2 well discounted from the shelf price. Obviously I am invested in this series. When this line up was first announced, I doubt there was ANYONE who didn't share that enthusiasm with Paul and the other cast of players. It hit that little kid in all of us and I'm certain that I was in the front row praising Paul's much publicized efforts to see this come to life. That appreciation has not and will not ever change.

That being said, action figures (and those who collect them) will always be a fickle market. You guys know that from living it as kids and now running your own business to produce them. Toybiz first claim to be making "Megos" with 'Famous Covers' and Hasbro did the same thing with both DC and Marvel characters. But of course those companies wanted to update and "improve" their figures just like you guys are doing with Mattel. Yes, you got Marty's blessing (a nice marketing idea) and yes he might have helped broker the business deal you have with Mattel today. And yes you might have them back in proper scale and on a backer card (all very cool and very appreciated ideas). But there are still scores of differences between that Mattel figure and a original Mego.

What it comes down to, is how each person feels when they see one of these figures. From your perspective, the "improvements" do not take away from the overall Mego concept. But to someone else, those changes might be just as drastic as the scale changes Toy Biz and Hasbro made to their line ups. And thus the action figure ceases to look like the toy they grew up with. Having Marty on your side doesn't negate the childhood memories of those individuals does it? Of course not. No more than how they feel about it makes your perspective wrong.

So while I can see your angst at some of the less tactfully expressed feedback that comes down the pike, I do believe some of your replies should be tempered with the perspective that this Mattel line is YOUR interpretation of another modified Mego line. In my eyes, it has been a gradual progression. Famous Covers prompted the start of this idea; Hasbro made improvements upon Famous Covers; and now Mattel has worked hard with EMCE to park this next line up closer to the overall look of that original toy. But as long as there are differences, there will always be a myriad of opinions to go with them. So I think you should always be open to both positive and negative feedback, and not hug too closely to the fan boys if your really looking to make a quality product.

Mego's were (and will continue to be) a one-of-a-kind action figure. They were original for their day, CHEAP to buy, and a kid could interplay them with other figure lines. You had both DC and Marvel characters intertwined, in addition to characters from movies and television. Mego was in many ways all things to all kids. It's hard to improve on that original concept. But I thank you for your efforts and will continue to support the line up (some with shelf purchases like the Flash, and lesser characters in the secondary market for better prices).

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by EMCEtoys
              Mikey, thanx for the even-handed statement. But I still ahve to express some bewilderment at the (numerically-speaking) tiny minority who have issues with the Mattel line and what's described as "our input".

We are not just consulting on this line. We are designing and prototyping them. The only thing that we did not have a direct hand in was the base body, which was created by Mattel in recognition of their need to own a base body that had no potential claims to it. Mego's alleged public domain status and Paul's assumption of the body form was enough for them to need to find another solution.

And we've been clear on several other threads that this community's input has been sought in making adjustments to the base body.

There are some production process issues that we do not see as the product moves along, and some of it has been an education for us as we broaden our ways of working to include "mego-izing" the properties of our partners. This education will allow us to take these factors into account as the lines continue.

So to be clear, as much as we appreciate the recognition of our 100% owned or produced lines as pure EMCE, we need to be clear that we are responsible as much for the stuff you like as the stuff you don't. We'll be as transparent as possible about issues or production problems or what have you, but we do not abdicate our responsibility for them. If it was something different from our initial process or something that was out of our control, we'll describe it, but in no way are we not responsible for it.

Now, if we just sat back and didn't do anything about it, that would be a different story.

In general, whether it's BBP, EMCE, FearWerx or Mattel, whether it has our logo or not for any variety of compliance issues, these are all EMCE Toys, and we are responsible for their results.

EDIT: And I just have to say "thank you" again for the kind words, Mikey. Didn't want you to think I didn't appreciate the "smashing" comment. :-)
              Thanks for the info ...
              I did not know you guys were so deeply involved in the Mattel line.

I was skeptical at first thinking the bodies may doom the line, but since the line got this far i'm guessing (and hoping) it will continue on for a very long time.

Comment

• rockeehorror
                • Jun 19, 2010

Will you also consider resculpting heads for the improved bodies as well? Is there a chance you will make any changes to the Shazam figure sculpt?

Comment

• Trappy Trek Freak
                  House of a thousand Megos
                  • Aug 10, 2009

If they redesign the mattel body they should take a DC universe classic body and scale it to mego and use the existing hands. That way it will be sturdy and very articulated with swivel arms and bending torso. No more elastic inside and loose feel.
                  Flickr: Trappy74's Photostream

Comment

• EMCEtoys
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 1, 2007

Originally posted by Mikey01
                    Thanks for the info ...
                    I did not know you guys were so deeply involved in the Mattel line.
                    :
                    Then I must be doing something wrong. Between this statement and the long and thoughtful post from the other gentleman above you, I'm obviously not doing my job and botching the message.

I find this forum tremendously educational. I only wish I had the hours in the day to properly absorb all the data here. Just when I think I've got it nailed, someone brings up a detail that I've either overlooked or saw differently.

Comment

• EMCEtoys
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 1, 2007

Originally posted by MIB41
                      I think the Mattel line has been a great idea to see developed and produced. I own them all, but got most of Wave 2 well discounted from the shelf price. Obviously I am invested in this series. When this line up was first announced, I doubt there was ANYONE who didn't share that enthusiasm with Paul and the other cast of players. It hit that little kid in all of us and I'm certain that I was in the front row praising Paul's much publicized efforts to see this come to life. That appreciation has not and will not ever change.

That being said, action figures (and those who collect them) will always be a fickle market. You guys know that from living it as kids and now running your own business to produce them. Toybiz first claim to be making "Megos" with 'Famous Covers' and Hasbro did the same thing with both DC and Marvel characters. But of course those companies wanted to update and "improve" their figures just like you guys are doing with Mattel. Yes, you got Marty's blessing (a nice marketing idea) and yes he might have helped broker the business deal you have with Mattel today. And yes you might have them back in proper scale and on a backer card (all very cool and very appreciated ideas). But there are still scores of differences between that Mattel figure and a original Mego.

What it comes down to, is how each person feels when they see one of these figures. From your perspective, the "improvements" do not take away from the overall Mego concept. But to someone else, those changes might be just as drastic as the scale changes Toy Biz and Hasbro made to their line ups. And thus the action figure ceases to look like the toy they grew up with. Having Marty on your side doesn't negate the childhood memories of those individuals does it? Of course not. No more than how they feel about it makes your perspective wrong.

So while I can see your angst at some of the less tactfully expressed feedback that comes down the pike, I do believe some of your replies should be tempered with the perspective that this Mattel line is YOUR interpretation of another modified Mego line. In my eyes, it has been a gradual progression. Famous Covers prompted the start of this idea; Hasbro made improvements upon Famous Covers; and now Mattel has worked hard with EMCE to park this next line up closer to the overall look of that original toy. But as long as there are differences, there will always be a myriad of opinions to go with them. So I think you should always be open to both positive and negative feedback, and not hug too closely to the fan boys if your really looking to make a quality product.

Mego's were (and will continue to be) a one-of-a-kind action figure. They were original for their day, CHEAP to buy, and a kid could interplay them with other figure lines. You had both DC and Marvel characters intertwined, in addition to characters from movies and television. Mego was in many ways all things to all kids. It's hard to improve on that original concept. But I thank you for your efforts and will continue to support the line up (some with shelf purchases like the Flash, and lesser characters in the secondary market for better prices).
                      I can't say I agree with everything you've said here, but you've posited some serious items to ponder. Not sure I can even reply to this without spending the time to do so as thoughtfully as you have. Thanx at least for taking the time to explain it so rationally and clearly, and with the obvious appreciation for our efforts.

Comment

• EMCEtoys
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 1, 2007

EDIT: And yeah, I think I was a little snotty in some earlier posts, in retrospect. I need to install some software that detects when I'm too tired to respond like a grownup.

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by EMCEtoys
                          Hm.

Hold on, let me go ask the Abrams family, who have supported us since the beginning, arranged the Mattel deal for us and participate financially in the enterprise for the first time since they went out of business in the 1980s.

Wonder what they think...

This is an "Annie Hall moment".

The one where Woody Allen pulls Marshall McLuhan into the scene to tell off the guy in the movie line-up.

Marhsall McLuhan: I hear, I heard what you were saying. You, you know nothing of my work. You mean my whole fallacy is wrong. How you ever got to teach a course in anything is totally amazing.

Alvy: Boy, if life were only like this.

Very well stated. Bravo.
                          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• torgospizza
                            Theocrat of Pan Tang
                            • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by actjac01
                            EMCE seems to have the 'Retro' idea down.
                            I'm in complete agreement here. While I love vintage, I love what EMCE's doing and know that they are one of the few companies that "get it." Chiefly because as much as I love them, Doc's probably a much bigger fan of the originals than I ever was or will be. I never even saw a Romulan as a kid and will never own a mint vintage one now, but because of EMCE's efforts, I'm more than happy with the choice we're given. I couldn't imagine something like this ever happening with Kenner's SMDM line, f.ex. Matt Mason, maybe, but I'm sure it would be modernized and have very little retro feel.

Comment

• drmego
                              EMCE Toys
                              • Jun 15, 2001

MEGO evolved and changed over the years. The magnetic Batman and Robin addressed
                              some of the elements of the 8 inch like gauntlets instead of oven mitt gloves, heat
                              sealed emblems instead of stickers, etc. - even though the 8 inch was still being sold
                              with oven mitts at the same time.

It's not a matter of right and wrong but interpretation.
                              www.drmego.com
                              www.megoman.com
                              www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• MIB41
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Sep 25, 2005

Paul your absolutely right and I could not agree with you more. Interpretation has been the basis of what I've tried to say in this thread. Megos were very, very special for many kids growing up,just like yourself. But not every kid saw them just as you did. You have someone's childhood memories in play here, so we're all treading on each others emotional toes as it were, when you say your remaking the brand. That's a heady statement when your talking about satisfying everyone's childhood memories of a classic toy line. So when you respond to some of these criticisms, I think it favors you to not take the stand of who is right or wrong on the matter. And I want to thank EMCE for taking note of that point. That meant alot to me that he took notice for how he was responding to certain concerns. Not because he needed to say it to me, but because he took accountability and recognition of that point. That told me he was customer focused and not interested in a battle of words that would only alienate his base. What he got was my respect and I appreciate him for saying what he did.

I say all this because your creating this product (Mattel is just manufacturing it). People like myself are out there buying them and supporting the line. And sure we're on this forum talking about all types of topics given what thread you pull up. But when it comes to EMCE toys and Mattel action figures, we are first and foremost your customer. This is a business. People like myself CARE what happens to this line and that's why I sit out here and post long replies. I do give a d*mn. And I hope in some small way that is appreciated, even if you don't agree with many or all of my points. I WANT the Retro Action line to be bigger AND better, than what Mego was. Why not? But it doesn't get that way if I sit here and cater to what I think you want to hear. I would HOPE you want to hear what I think is wrong (or right) and not get into a conceptual argument about who has a better perspective. So when I say I can't stand that Shazam figure on the other thread, I'm not being a "hater". I'm not coming here with an "agenda" to hurt the line or insult you guys personally. As an invested customer I'm just saying "I don't think this works guys". And I would hope you would want to know specifically why I think that, instead of a juvenile "it sucks" response. So I just wanted to be clear on where I stand here and let you guys know I want the line to succeed. So when I think the characters look good, I'll say so and sing your praises. If I see a potential problem I will voice that too and try and give you a basis for that concern. We're all on the same Mego team.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎