X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Azrak
    I agree with Mr. Spam that the comparisons really highlight those funky thighs.
    Agreed...the Mattel Legs have got to go. They spoil the look of the whole Figure. The upper Body(Torso & Arms)I like.
    sigpic

Comment

• rlkrefft
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 14, 2010

Wow that is so much work. I think you did a great job but I just wouldn't have the time to do that stuff. I actually don't mind the bodies. I just display them on a stand in a glass cabinet anyway so these bodies by Mattel are fine for me.

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by rlkrefft
        I just display them on a stand in a glass cabinet anyway so these bodies by Mattel are fine for me.
        I just displayed them as well...but the Superman I left on a Mattel Body, is hunched over with his Pelvis jutting forward. So...he doesn't display nice.
        sigpic

Comment

• Raydeen1
          Persistent Member
          • May 23, 2008

No. The Super Joes are taller. The proportion would make Joe look like he had a giant noggin. An FC body however would probably work great.

Originally posted by MIB41
          Here's a thought... I wonder if Mattel bodies would be a good substitute for a Super Joe head?

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

I am going to try a repair job(using Doc Mego Legs)on the next Mattel Body, before I throw it away.
            Last edited by The Bat; Aug 3, '10, 7:17 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

• Raydeen1
              Persistent Member
              • May 23, 2008

Go for it Dane. I'd love to see it when done!
              Originally posted by The Bat
              I am going to try a repair job(using Doc Mego Legs)on the next Mattel Body, before I through it away.

Comment

• mego maniac mark
                Career Member
                • Aug 3, 2010

Nice work! I nominate you to take over the quality control department at mattel!
                mego's befo ho's

Comment

• CollectorDave
                  • Aug 4, 2010

Removing Head of the figure

BoyWonder0,

Thanks for the great tutorial. I repaired my Two-Face today and it's a huge improvement. I really like the Mattel body, just wanted to restring it, and think this was a good way to do it. It now has the feel and pose ability of a mego or better. It is a bit time consuming, but so is most stuff involving collecting action figures. Question though, can you walk me through the best method to remove the head? I didn't use enough time or patience on my Two-Face and ripped the head off the neck post, then had to dig out the old rubber neck post part and fix the head so that I could reconnect it (win some lose some, it worked). I don't want to repeat that damage on the batman figure, so was just hoping for any tips on getting the Mattel Figure heads off. You mentioned the boiling water method and patience, let me know if there's any more tips out there. Thanks!

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                    Persistent Member
                    • Feb 18, 2007

What about Plasti Dip? would that be easier to apply? It seems like it would work the same with less difficulty and without the fear of snagging. Just dip the torso bubble into the plasti dip, should grip the legs fine when it is dry.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

This is a wonderful tutorial--thank you for your efforts in posting it.

Question: will a vintage or Emce/CAW pelvis fit a Mattel torso? i.e., is it possible to replace & restring the entire lower body?
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by The Bat
                        The upper Body(Torso & Arms)I like.
                        I agree--the sculpting of the shoulders & chest is nice; just think how cool Hawkman will look if they don't put him in a peach shirt.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                          This is a wonderful tutorial--thank you for your efforts in posting it.

Question: will a vintage or Emce/CAW pelvis fit a Mattel torso? i.e., is it possible to replace & restring the entire lower body?
                          Not as is... The Mattel Retro Action Torso will not enter nor seat into any of these mentioned pelvis. Either pelvis is molded with a very small torso entrance to accommodate their corresponding torso pivot ball. Nonetheless the pelvis may be worked out to make the Mattel torso fit. I'll work on that tomorrow and post some pictures. Thanks for looking!

Comment

• Boywonder0
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by CollectorDave
                            BoyWonder0,

Thanks for the great tutorial. I repaired my Two-Face today and it's a huge improvement. I really like the Mattel body, just wanted to restring it, and think this was a good way to do it. It now has the feel and pose ability of a mego or better. It is a bit time consuming, but so is most stuff involving collecting action figures. Question though, can you walk me through the best method to remove the head? I didn't use enough time or patience on my Two-Face and ripped the head off the neck post, then had to dig out the old rubber neck post part and fix the head so that I could reconnect it (win some lose some, it worked). I don't want to repeat that damage on the batman figure, so was just hoping for any tips on getting the Mattel Figure heads off. You mentioned the boiling water method and patience, let me know if there's any more tips out there. Thanks!
                            Glad you found it useful! And yes, when you are doing it for the first time, it could take you a couple of hours, but after that all others will come up faster (Practice is everything!).

What really matters is that the end results are worth the effort and certainly very rewarding. It is better to invest a couple of hours repairing a RA body than watching it standing awkwardly forever...

PS: Just sent you a PM with the head removal method I use

Comment

• Boywonder0
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by Fuzzysnail
                              What about Plasti Dip? would that be easier to apply? It seems like it would work the same with less difficulty and without the fear of snagging. Just dip the torso bubble into the plasti dip, should grip the legs fine when it is dry.
                              Yeah, why not? The bottomline is to increase RESISTANCE/FRICTION at these joints AND to re-string tighter. Just make sure you make a clean job... Let me know how it went!

Comment

• Boywonder0
                                Persistent Member
                                • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
                                Curious though, since the outfits are so thin on these does the vinyl gasket material show up as a ridge or bump when they are dressed?
                                Rich
                                Great point! Yes it will! That is why you have to trim to contour the most you can. If done exactly as I instruct in my tutorial you won't have any problems. Guaranteed!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎