X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Brown Bear
    I hope they don't do too many "modern" figures since the line is called "retro".
    Kudos to everyone involved. Finally a Black Adam!

I'm pretty sure the "retro" is, and always was, as it applies to the style of figure, not the era of the character. And I say good, otherwise we end up with no chance of getting things like Ghostbusters.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

I'm lovin' the new character choices. While it's great that they get a second chance to improve on characters like Captain Marvel, I really think it's cool that we are getting guys like Two-Face, Martain Manhunter and Darkseid rather than retreads of characters that were already done pretty well to begin with.

Nice retro touch that J'onn gets a "green flesh" suit.
      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• spamn
        Minty and All-Original!
        • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by LadyZod
        Darkseid... hmmmm... Dr mego's new and improved hulkish body?
        I hope so - Darkseid is not as skinny as the default Mattel Retro body.

I'm psyched about all of this. Bring on more characters Mego never made! I'm glad I didn't put any time into making the Modern Sinestro suit I designed. That one seemed like a no brainer for Mattel to do, but I'm still surprised that they did it - and more as a marketing push for the GL movie. I'm psyched to get a GL army!
        Last edited by spamn; Jul 23, '10, 9:16 PM.

Comment

• Corellian Corvette
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 27, 2004

There is a nuance to my point about new characters. Of course, it's personal opinion but *overlooked* main Mego characters (Green Lantern, Flash, Lex Luthor, to a lesser extent Martian Manhunter) I'm totally fine with. HOWEVER, because Mattel is forcing a Hero/Villan from the same series into each line it seems like you're stretching beyond "retro" just for the sake of being new. And pure opinion - they did a great job with the "Retro" look of Two-Face and Luthor... but these characters are starting to loose some of the spirit of the retro line by getting more complex and realistic looking. I'm just judging the photos - but whoever mentioned DCUC is totally right, some of these I feel are poor choices for a Retro line...

All that of course is insignifigant next to the fundamental quality issues that have yet to be addressed.

I will *happily* eat my words if word comes back that the bodies are getting fixed an the accessories scaled appropriately.
          Like M.A.S.K.?
          www.albertpenello.com/mask

Comment

• GreenLantern9999
            GL of Mego Sector
            • Oct 8, 2007

Originally posted by spamn
            I'm psyched about all of this. Bring on more characters Mego never made! I'm glad I didn't put any time into making the Modern Sinestro suit I designed. That one seemed like a no brainer for Mattel to do, but I'm still surprised that they did it - and more as a marketing push for the GL movie. I'm psyched to get a GL army!
            Me too I will take all the GL I can get!
            No body takes pot shots at Lubic! Good Journey

Comment

• Delusional B
              Museum Super Collector
              • Nov 14, 2007

Originally posted by Corellian Corvette
              There is a nuance to my point about new characters. Of course, it's personal opinion but *overlooked* main Mego characters (Green Lantern, Flash, Lex Luthor, to a lesser extent Martian Manhunter) I'm totally fine with. HOWEVER, because Mattel is forcing a Hero/Villan from the same series into each line it seems like you're stretching beyond "retro" just for the sake of being new. And pure opinion - they did a great job with the "Retro" look of Two-Face and Luthor... but these characters are starting to loose some of the spirit of the retro line by getting more complex and realistic looking. I'm just judging the photos - but whoever mentioned DCUC is totally right, some of these I feel are poor choices for a Retro line...

All that of course is insignifigant next to the fundamental quality issues that have yet to be addressed.

I will *happily* eat my words if word comes back that the bodies are getting fixed an the accessories scaled appropriately.
              I agree with your point about these getting more complex and realistic looking... Mattel had better be very careful or they are going to start straddling the line between something like scaled down DC Direct 13" figures and Megos. Fans of realistic figures won't buy them because they are still too Retro/Mego... and Mego fans won't buy them because they venture into non-Mego territory. They'll be right in the middle and the line will struggle. From what I've seen in reviews and what-not, collectors that didn't grow up on Mego have very little interest in this line (for the most part) and see it as a passing fad that's fueled by nostalgia. They might buy one or two for the novelty factor but won't continue to buy this format... what they want is already being done in Mattel's DCUC and what DC Direct is doing.

Mattel, please keep your target audience in mind as you continue this line. Splintering it into something that falls in-between collector-group preferences could be very dangerous to the line.
              Yesterville Toy Room

Comment

• BlackKnight
                The DarkSide Customizer
                • Apr 16, 2005

I hate to be "that" guy, but I'm pretty sure I'm done with this line. No more money from me. All I see when I look at these announcements is Mattel's arrogance in keeping their crappy body and oversize accessories. So I see $300 + in figures, and another $100 in replacement parts I need to get to fix them. And with these modern figures, there are more custom accessories that will be impossible to "replace" with a proper alternative. What the heck am I'm going to do to fix those GIGANTIC Guy Gardner boots?

And seriously? No Robin, Joker, Riddler, Catwoman... but we get Black Adam, Darksied, Cheetah? It's not that I hate the characters but the insistence on doing a Hero/Villain is causing them to make some pretty bad character choices when there are still main vintage guys that could use a good updating.

Bad quality + Poor character choices + Custom accessories = I'm out.

Dude ..., I disagree with your Opinion .
                If you want to protect the Longevity of Toy line, and Appeal towards Children, because collector's will only carry a line so far, you have to finally make some characters that are somewhat Relevant with Today's pop Culture as well, rather than seeing a Line Die living in the past.

I applaud the Count Down to The Green Lantern Movie, with a New Retro Hero Green Lantern Every Month. Get this Stuff to Finally tie into Something Current, and Relevant today . And DarkSied ...., Finally a figure that I never thought I would see in this Line. Way to spice up the Line, and think outside the Box. Kuddos.
                ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Corellian Corvette
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 27, 2004

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                  If you want to protect the Longevity of Toy line, and Appeal towards Children, because collector's will only carry a line so far, you have to finally make some characters that are somewhat Relevant with Today's pop Culture as well, rather than seeing a Line Die living in the past.

I applaud the Count Down to The Green Lantern Movie, with a New Retro Hero Green Lantern Every Month. Get this Stuff to Finally tie into Something Current, and Relevant today . And DarkSied ...., Finally a figure that I never thought I would see in this Line. Way to spice up the Line, and think outside the Box. Kuddos.
                  Let's say I agree with your fundamental argument of relevancy and “pop culture”. Then in what world is Darkseid, Cheetah, or Captain Cold more relevant than The Joker, The Riddler, Robin, Catwoman or Penguin? Hell SCARECROW would be more relevant because he was at least in the movie. And no villain is more relevant than The Joker. Heck pick a Superman villain / hero from Smallville I’d understand the choice.

So it’s possible your argument validates my point moreso then yours. If you want to stay relevant, pick relevant characters and I would argue they have not. Joker would sell better than any of the secondary characters in these two waves.

The Green Lantern stuff I get – but let’s be clear Green Lantern characters aren’t “pop culture” unless the movie is a success. Mattel is doing this to capitalize/promote the movie, that’s it. If the movie is a hit then it’s a brilliant move (see: Iron Man). But I’m not taking issue with what they are doing regarding the GL exclusives.

My primary issue is the mainline choices; and it’s not just the choice of characters – I don’t like the aesthetic direction they are heading (based on some fuzzy internet pictures). I may change my mind with better shots and/or the final prodcut.

And they are doing this without addressing the fundamental quality flaws of the toys.
                  Last edited by Corellian Corvette; Jul 23, '10, 3:37 PM.
                  Like M.A.S.K.?

Comment

• spamn
                    Minty and All-Original!
                    • Mar 28, 2002

Just as a contrast to others, I will say I WANT the characters Mego never made. I want costume versions that aren't from the 70s. I don't care if the figures are more detailed than Mego would have made. I prefer that, actually. If these were 8" versions of the $70 13" DC Direct figures, I'd be thrilled. As it is, I'm still excited.

I love the 8" format. Getting Superheroes (and monsters, and TV figures) in 8" format in the year 2010 is awesome, despite the body flaws of the Mattel line.

Even if there are characters I won't buy in this format, each one is a chance to bring new fans to this style of figure. I hope this makes 8" articulated, cloth outfit figures a viable format again, standing aside 6" hyper articulated, 3 3/4" articulated, and 12". We've been without it for too long.

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

I'm in complete agreement with Jason. It was refreshing to see Mattel actually manufacture characters that make sense in the current marketplace, than to follow the same tired cast of heroes. I think this new direction has great potential to make this line relevant to alot of age groups. Plus the whole idea of a different Lantern hero each month next year before the movie comes out is just plain brilliant. Who ever thought we could get an entire Green Lantern Corps? Those will be produced in limited quantities and will certainly sell out. This announcement was a incredible surprise. I guarantee you Paul had everything to do with it too. Well done sir.
                      Last edited by MIB41; Jul 23, '10, 4:01 PM.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                        The DarkSide Customizer
                        • Apr 16, 2005

The Green Lantern stuff I get – but let’s be clear Green Lantern characters aren’t “pop culture” unless the movie is a success. Mattel is doing this to capitalize/promote the movie, that’s it. If the movie is a hit then it’s a brilliant move (see: Iron Man). But I’m not taking issue with what they are doing regarding the GL exclusives. .

You Read today's comicbooks ?
                        Ever Hear of a little something called "Green Lantern Rebirth" a few Yr's Back ? .... I assure you, this is alot more than to promote a Movie. For 5 yrs Green Lantern Books have been on the Top of the Charts, sometimes even destroying Superman and Batman Sales. He IS in the "Big 3 " Now, and has been for quite Sometime. Mattel is doing this, Because these day's all Things Green Lantern Sells, and they Reconize this FACT . If Green Lantern Didn't sell, and all it was designed for , was to promote a Movie, .... Where was the Hex Mego's ?

Green Lantern Sells.
                        It's popular today, More than He ever was post 2004 .
                        He has some of the Most Read Comics in Modern Day .
                        This IS more than just a Smart move.
                        BTW ..., He also has a Cartoon Comming.
                        Every Figure WILL sell out, reguardless if your "out" or not.
                        Last edited by BlackKnight; Jul 23, '10, 4:32 PM.
                        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Corellian Corvette
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 27, 2004

You Read today's comicbooks ?
                          Ever Hear of a little something called "Green Lantern Rebirth" a few Yr's Back ? .... I assure you, this is alot more than to promote a Movie. For 5 yrs Green Lantern Books have been on the Top of the Charts, sometimes even destroying Superman and Batman Sales. He IS in the "Big 3 " Now, and has been for quite Sometime. Mattel is doing this, Because these day's all Things Green Lantern Sells, and they Reconize this FACT . If Green Lantern Didn't sell, and all it was designed for , was to promote a Movie, .... Where was the Hex Mego's ?

Green Lantern Sells.
                          It's popular today, More than He ever was post 2004 .
                          He has some of the Most Read Comics in Modern Day .
                          This IS more than just a Smart move.
                          BTW ..., He also has a Cartoon Comming.
                          Every Figure WILL sell out, reguardless if your "out" or not.
                          OK my friend. Let's play with some facts for a little while.

Regardless of what happens in the "comic book" world, you said "popular with children" and "pop culture"

I'm fully aware of the popularity of Green Lantern within comics. As of Feb 2010 the GL comics in aggregate were selling ~ 170K / month. And it's pretty easy to infer that it's the same 170K people buying a) both books and b) buying every month. So there are probably ~ 200K people in the U.S. reading a G/L book. On average, DC comics.com gets 100K hits/day.

That is a pittance. That's not pop culture. It's not targeting kids.

You know how many people went to Twitter yesterday? 8 million. About 1 million people visit Entertainment Weekly and People magazine every day.

Disney.com is 2x bigger then Marvel.com and DCcomics.com combined.

When the GL movie comes out, if it does $100m in ticket sales opening weekend (at the U.S. average $7.95 as of 5/10), then 12.5 MILLION PEOPLE will have bought tickets. You can apply whatever duplication factor you want to that (multiple screenings, etc.) but let's say conservatively 10 million unique people will see the movie that weekend.

So tell me again why Mattel is doing GL figures? To support 200K 18-25 fanboys or 10 MILLION potential NEW people exposed to the character?

Green Lantern is not a "Pop Culture" character nor is he popular with Children from a MASS MARKET standpoint. He’s gained popularity amongst the ranks of comic book heroes. He will not be “mainstream” until the movie is a hit, period. Facts support this.

NOW back to my original post… I also said I totally get why Mattel is doing GL characters and I don’t have a problem with it. Makes complete sense. That’s not what is making me tired of the line. It’s the main wave character selection and design, plus product quality issues.

BTW - we're just talking here. I love a good debate, and my response is intended only in the spirit of discussion.
                          Last edited by Corellian Corvette; Jul 23, '10, 5:35 PM.
                          Like M.A.S.K.?

Comment

• Meule
                            Verbose Member
                            • Nov 14, 2004

While I applaude Mattel for releasing new characters, I can't say I'm thrilled with their choice for B-characters. Two-Face was a great choice, but the ones in wave 3 and 4 are mostly poor choices. I would've prefered a rerelease of an existing character such as Robin, Joker, Catwoman, Penguin or Batgirl. Or new ones like Scarecrow or Mr. Freeze, who are still bigger than Darkseid, Cheetah, Martian Manhunter, Black Adam or Cap Cold.

And I couldn't care less about Green Lantern (and I hate exclusives anyway), so I'm saving a lot of money there
                            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎