Live Long and Prosper
    • Mar 23, 2008

This thread Rocks. I Love all the pics and information. Great stuff
    Sammy

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

Well, I got my Green Arrow today...and Boy was I excited when UPS arrived. It was short lived.

The Body is TOTAL GARBAGE! I just can't believe they screwed it up so badly? There's barely any movement in the Arms, he won't stand...and the Legs look like Crap!

The Good: After much hard work getting the Head off(soaked it in boiling Water), and transferring it to a Doc Mego Body, with Cast-A-Way Biceps & Doc Mego Forearms(so the green Hands would fit). And adding some CTVT's Boots. I finally have a decent GA. But what a shame one has to do all that...to a brand new Figure.
      Last edited by The Bat; Jan 5, '10, 3:09 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

• David Lee
        The Fix-it-up Chappie
        • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by The Bat
        TOTAL GARBAGE! I just can't believe they screwed it up so badly? There's barely any movement in the Arms, he won't stand...and the Legs look like Crap!]
        Too right... crapola

Cast-A-Way Biceps & Doc Mego Forearms(so the green Hands would fit).
        They actually fit great in our (Cast-A-Way) forearms...

I just can't wait to get all the parts from the next wave, the parts alone will be well worth the cost of the figures... Add a better body and V-O-I-L-A!

I love my Hybrid GA

-Dave

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

The only flaw with Cast-A-Way Body Dave is...the Knees are a little weak.So I usually swap the Legs out for Doc Mego ones....Sorry.
          sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Sure glad I didn't waste 30 bucks on a hunk of crap. Guess I won't be hunting these down in the spring at TRU.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• David Lee
              The Fix-it-up Chappie
              • Jun 10, 2002

The only flaw with Cast-A-Way Body Dave is...the Knees are a little weak.So I usually swap the Legs out for Doc Mego ones....Sorry.

huh? you might have gotton some bad ones.. We had to get the factory to work on this after our thrird run was a little loose kneed. But anything now should be nice and tight...

At any rate, I am stoked to be able to swap, heads, hands and clothes for these new figures.. it makes a mighty fine looking "new" mego with a little help

-Dave

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by David Lee
                huh? you might have gotton some bad ones.. We had to get the factory to work on this after our thrird run was a little loose kneed. But anything now should be nice and tight.

-Dave
                Hmm....I'll have to buy some of the new ones and check them out.
                sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

I think it's awesome people have figured out so many different ways to mix in match bodies and parts.

But I personally feel the default Mattel body is actually not that bad. I think it's very nice looking and well constructed overall. Definitely a top quality item. The only flaw I feel is the current pelvis design doesn't allow the legs to hold a straight out pose.

I'm leaving mine as is.
                  Last edited by Werewolf; Jan 5, '10, 9:19 PM. Reason: typos
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• pmwasson
                    Maker
                    • Sep 12, 2007

Originally posted by Werewolf
                    I think it awesome people have figured out so many different ways to mix in match bodies and parts.

But I personally feel the default Mattel body is actually not that bad. I think it's very nice looking and well contructed overall. Definitely a top quality item. The only flaw I feel is the current pelvis design doesn't allow the legs to hold a straight out pose.

I'm leaving mine as is.
                    I totally agree. I'm excited about all the customizing possibilities, but I'm keeping one Green Arrow as-is!
                    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by pmwasson
                      I totally agree. I'm excited about all the customizing possibilities

Yes...that is the up side!Rotocast Heads, China made Accessories, Costumes, etc...And since they're not original Megos, you don't have any guilt about hacking these Babies up!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Meule
                        Verbose Member
                        • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        Sure glad I didn't waste 30 bucks on a hunk of crap. Guess I won't be hunting these down in the spring at TRU.
                        The next ones should be altered somewhat
                        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• The Bat
                          Batman Fanatic
                          • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Meule
                          The next ones should be altered somewhat

No,they won't...that's Wave 2.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Remco Monster
                            GLOWS in the Dark!
                            • May 3, 2006

OK, received mine about half an hour ago and as a whole I am about 50/50, but with the alterations I have done, I am about 80/20.

My first impressions (in package) - The design is OK, certainly cooler than most modern day packaging, but the cardboard is super thin, and mine came extremely warped. Whatever, out he came...

Out of the package - Nice looking figure from the waste up, from the waste down, awful. His legs and boots are super duper wonky.

This body is indeed garbage. From the waste up I could deal with it, but his thighs are too big, he is bow legged and strung horribly. Good luck getting any sweet pose out of this dud. Whoever approved this design aught to be fired.

It took me all of a minute to get to work on improving him. The head on mine was HEAVILY glued, it was a complete pain to remove, hair dryer, boiling water, neither helped enough. I ended up having to pry it out, resulting in cracking the neck of the body. Oh well, good riddens. The hands came out much easier. I popped the head and hands on a Castaway body and put on his costume. Instant MAJOR improvement.

The costume is really nice. The gauntlets are a bit too long, but other than that, beautiful. The head sculpt and paint are great. The hat fit a little weird, but I heated it up and put it on him, and now it fits awesome. The quiver looks great, though since it is made of rubber, it warps a bit when on the figure, but that is a VERY minor annoyance. The boots are clunkers. I have said it before, but they remind me of Famous Covers boots, and I can't stand Famous Covers. I currently have some CTVT repro boots on him, and they look great, but they are split in the back. I am going to order some Castaway boots for him and see how I like them. If I don't, I will get some new CTVT repros.

The bow... OK, I can get over the whole arrow being permanently attached thing. I don't like it, but the arrow is way too short and I can't stand the way the butt of the arrow is so far past the bow string. It is good you can turn the boxing glove, so that the arrow isn't positioned at the bottom of the handle though, even though it should be much more centered and not so high on the handle.

In the end, after all the changes I made, I love the figure. He is still not without flaws, but really that is OK because most toys aren't without flaws, and with my changes the Matt-A-Way Green Arrow easily looks cooler than any other toys currently on the market.

I probably won't be buying too many of these figures. With all the changes on this guy, he will end up costing me nearly $50, and I am certainly not going to spend that much on each figure when I can use that cash towards real Megos. This one was worth it, because he is my favorite character, but I don't know about the rest. I may buy Green Lantern, but the rest of series 1 I will be passing on. Mattel will REALLY have to improve the body and boots for me to be fully on board, and honestly, I don't see the legs being improved that much, because they would nearly have to be completely redesigned, including the stringing.
                            Last edited by Remco Monster; Jan 6, '10, 3:20 AM.

Comment

• Ivaniski
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jun 24, 2007

Originally posted by TCM Hitchhiker
                              OK, received mine about half an hour ago and as a whole I am about 50/50, but with the alterations I have done, I am about 80/20.

My first impressions (in package) - The design is OK, certainly cooler than most modern day packaging, but the cardboard is super thin, and mine came extremely warped. Whatever, out he came...

Out of the package - Nice looking figure from the waste up, from the waste down, awful. His legs and boots are super duper wonky.

This body is indeed garbage. From the waste up I could deal with it, but his thighs are too big, he is bow legged and strung horribly. Good luck getting any sweet pose out of this dud. Whoever approved this design aught to be fired.

It took me all of a minute to get to work improving him. The head on mine was HEAVILY glued, it was a complete pain to remove, hair dryer, boiling water, neither helped enough. I ended up having to pry it out, resulting in cracking the neck of the body. Oh well, good riddens. The hands came out much easier. I popped the head and hands on a Castaway body and put on his costume. Instant MAJOR improvement.

The costume is really nice. The gauntlets are a bit too long, but other than that, beautiful. The head sculpt and paint are great. The hat fit a little weird, but I heated it up and put it on him, and now it fits awesome. The quiver looks great, though since it is made of rubber, it warps a bit when on the figure, but that is a VERY minor annoyance. The boots are clunkers. I have said it before, but they remind me of Famous Covers boots, and I can't stand Famous Covers. I currently have some CTVT repro boots on him, and they look great, but they are split in the back. I am going to order some Castaway boots for him and see how I like them. If I don't, I will get some new CTVT repros.

The bow....good God, this is the worst Green Arrow bow I have ever seen. OK, I can get over the whole arrow being permanently attached thing. I don't like it, but that is the least of the problems. First of all, the arrow is way too short and I can't stand the way the butt of the arrow is so far past the bow string. It is good you can turn the boxing glove, so that the arrow isn't positioned at the bottom of the handle, BUT this makes the arrow sit on the wrong side of the bow handle. Again, who in the hell approved this design!?!?

In the end, after all the changes I made, I love the figure. He is still not without flaws, but really that is OK because most toys aren't without flaws, and with my changes the Matt-A-Way Green Arrow easily looks cooler than any other toys currently on the market.

I probably won't be buying too many of these figures. With all the changes on this guy, he will end up costing me nearly $50, and I am certainly not going to spend that much on each figure when I can use that cash towards real Megos. This one was worth it, because he is my favorite character, but I don't know about the rest. I may buy Green Lantern, but the rest of series 1 I will be passing on. Mattel will REALLY have to improve the body and boots for me to be fully on board, and honestly, I don't see the legs being improved that much, because they would nearly have to be completely redesigned, including the stringing.
                              Great Review!!! I really hope that Mattel can step up to the plate and rectify the bodies of these figures,.... Especially, from the waist down.

Comment

• TrueDave
                                Toy Maker
                                • Jan 12, 2008

I think I'll get all my experimenting done on Lex Luthor when he comes out. I do not intend on paying scalper or EBay prices. I want to walk into a store like the good old days and buy one.

A flash would be interesting.

I already think except for no head pivot for flying, the Silver Age figures were the best made.

I will probably get luthoe and swap him out with a Doc MEgo body. I dont like painted hands.

One of these days I'll get a cast Away.

I can't really think of too many DC characters i want beyond the Silver Age guys. Mostly Horror and War and i doubt they'll make GI Robot or The Phantom Stranger.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎