• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ivaniski
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 24, 2007

Khan cracks......

Originally posted by huedell
    Hey Ivan---that's gotta be my favorite Trek Mego pic I've ever seen.
    NIce!
    All of the Star Trek figure pictures and the others that were posted previously are all utilizing Doc's type 2 bodies with my Re-string method.

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Ivaniski
      All of the Star Trek figure pictures and the others that were posted previously are all utilizing Doc's type 2 bodies with my Re-string method.
      I knew that was your main reason for posting that pic I liked
      (that large bridge crew/redshirt shot) but I still wanted to point out
      how much I liked the pic----still, great job re-stringing---you can really
      see the new posing options put into action there.
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks, Paul, for offering a replacement. I know you're a conscientious guy.

My intent instarting this thread was to see if cracking was a common problem & to give Diamond feedback, not to criticize you.

These new figures have been a boon to collectors & enthusiasts--I think most Museum members & Mego fans are grateful for them.

I'm certainly not going to stop getting them, or compare them to CTVT.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• fallensaviour
          Talkative Member
          • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by drmego
          Sometimes I can tell by looking at a figure if it was assembled well,
          but not always. What I can do is offer to exchange the erastz figure
          for another one and strip the poor boy for parts.
          So does this mean you have a new Khan head kicking around the shop somewhere???
          All I want is his head a china made one....Shoot me a PM if this is the case Doc...
          “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Tothiro
            Kitten Mittens
            • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by drmego
            Don't worry - I don't get upset when people find fault with my products.

I do tell my manufacturer in China know about all QC issues and he is very
            good about feeding it back to the actual workers.
            Not so much an assembly note -
            I was curious if there was a reason the upper shoulders were cast in the more pliable rubberized plastic as opposed to the more structurally sound ABS? Is there a cost reason? Did it just work out that way when they looked at the tooling (ie, one gated mold assembly)?

A few have expressed issue with range of motion in the shoulders - I actually had a shoulder tear out completely on my Andorian (the first repro I picked up). The problems share a common source in that the assembly process seems to deform the interior of the arms (causing the hook to pull through or just deform the softer plastic) which results in it catching when we try to pose the arms.

Seems a harder plastic like ABS for this upper arm section would solve the problem. There's no issue with the hip hooks, which carry as much strain in thinner part assemblies... Would this be possible to test and incorporate into future releases?

Until then I'm happy to swap the parts back over to vintage bodies.

Comment

• MegoGeek
              From The Black Lagoon
              • Jun 27, 2001

On mine the torso actually cracked apart into 2 pieces and the figure completely fell apart.

Not a big deal since I originally planned on swapping the parts over to an original T2 Trek body.
              ______
              ChArLiE

Comment

• Eric
                Museum Patron
                • Jan 11, 2008

Great pictures. The ones with the outstretched arms look like they came from something called "MEGO: The Musical".

Comment

• fallensaviour
                  Talkative Member
                  • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  Has anyone had trouble posing their Emce Khan?

It's a killer figure, but the shoulders are tight & when I tried to lift the arms laterally, the torso cracked.

Still nice, still displayable, but not too poseable
                  Just had this happen to my new Scotty???
                  I'm gonna try some super glue or maybe swap it out for an original torso...
                  “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Ivaniski
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jun 24, 2007

Khan cracks.....

Originally posted by fallensaviour
                    Just had this happen to my new Scotty???
                    I'm gonna try some super glue or maybe swap it out for an original torso...
                    To me (this is only my opinion)...I feel that if i can't pose my action figure in various positions and especially show full ROM (Range of motion) vertically,horizontally in the arms it negates/depreciates it's value as an action figure. I mean not only do my kids play with them “To simulate various adventures”, but the all important "Dioramas" are a norm with our figures. It's essential for me to get these Mego type action figures up and running (Mucho articulation= Mucho playtime) for my kids, the same way I had with my 12'' GI Joe in the 70's. Another case in point: I fly Giant scale R/C Warbirds in the Bronx,NY (I'm the Chief instructor). One of our members (a novice) for years would boast how he had so many giant warbirds in his home. He would show pics of his fleet to the club and on occasion bring a few of them to the field for "Display only", always afraid to fly them. The club members would ridicule him (jokingly, mind you) as to what good is a beautiful looking R/C warbird when you don't fly it or use it to it's full potential (a Museum piece..they would call it). Eventually, he realized that he did'nt purchase his planes for a "Museum Piece". So he caved in and now with my assistance...he flies them all. My point is that "All" action figures display nicely. However, what matters the most in my home is the ability to play with a "fully articulated" action figure....No Museum Pieces!!! I recently had two Emce figures (Khan and Scotty) re-painted by Members at the Museum; Jessica and MegoSpidey (Great job guys!!!) They got to see "first hand" the results of my re-stringing, due to the fact that it's wiser to leave a rotocast head in the body for painting. They seemed to like the articulation the re-stringing created. My kids concur with them. Just my 2 cents.... Don't mean to offend anyone here. :
                    Last edited by Ivaniski; Jan 3, '09, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• SpaceCrawler
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 20, 2008

Has anyone had their figures break apart while still sealed inside the package?
                      This is a pretty serious issue, spending $34 for these things and just having them fall apart.

I spent a load of cash on mine , but they are still seal on the cards (was planning to get a second set for the new bridge set), but don't want the ones I have falling apart inside the cards.

Sean

Comment

• fallensaviour
                        Talkative Member
                        • Aug 28, 2006

I don't know about broken figures in boxes/clamshells mine get removed right away by my son who then hands them to me for the once over.I give it a quick check to make sure everything is okay(bands to tight/restring) and then off he goes to play.Aside from and andorian with two same hands(which paul corrected) and scotty's shoulder problem(not really a big issue) I have never encounter anything else that couldn't be fixed pretty quickly.I also agree with Ivaniski playability is what holds true in my house as well.These figures have that in spaids,with a little tweaking to the rubber/stringing.
                        My son never had a problem with Scotty's color so it never bothered me.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎