Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in a repro Aquaman vs The Great White Shark set?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Mego
    Love to play with Megos
    • Oct 19, 2003

BTW, how about that? vvv

Wanted to buy pair original shoes for vintage WOZ Wizard

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list in here.

Comment

• reevefan78
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by Commander
      Showing us the same scan repro boxes again?
      Hey Pat......not tryin' to pull a fast one on ya buddy.....but if you read my blurb on that last image post you'll see where I state, "the differences from the last post of it might be subtle but they are substantial where the printing is concerned." Meaning just that. Greg did some subtle clean up work and replaced the yellow type on the top of the box from the previous scan.....it doesn't show at this scale but it'll be more obvious from a printing standpoint.

"Geoffdude" was concerned that the yellow type appeared unusually distorted due to the top of his box being wavy (warped) coupled with the angle he shot those first pics of the type with his digital camera. So he wanted to reshoot that area with the insert in the box this time to lessen the warp effect (no I'm not talking the Star Trek kind, LOL). Since he couldn't lay this part of the box flat on his scanner bed due to the top flap being in the way he had to shoot it with his digital camera. He was so impressed with what Greg had done that he wanted this part to be every bit as perfect as the other areas that Greg had cleaned up digitally from the scans. Even I had to admit that the second round of photos of that area were an improvement and will look much better in the final print than what was there previously.

So that's the story of that.....Greg did a few other minor touch ups as well and although it doesn't appear to be anything major it will be once the box is printed at actual scale.

You can see the warp effect a bit here but with the insert in the box it's not as bad as the first pics Geoff took of the yellow type where the insert was out of the box.

Here's 'geoffdude's original Mego Aquaman VS The Great White Shark boxed set used to make the repro boxes.

More to follow soon.....stay tuned!
      Last edited by reevefan78; Mar 12, '11, 6:24 PM.

Comment

• JMC
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 3, 2004

That is just a thing of beauty! I am so in for one

Comment

• Mr Mego
          Love to play with Megos
          • Oct 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey01
          I think putting a new Aquaman with a classic repro would look pretty awful

No disrespect to the retro heroes but they don't belong with classic stuff
          Yep, that's correct.

I think Kris should get a repro Mego Aquaman body, head and mittens from our member Dr. Mego's Repros and repro jumpsuit from Mattel that way will looks much better (if with set) like our member EMCEtoys made repro Mego Star Trek Playset, Star Trek Crew & Aliens that looks much better to me.
          Last edited by Mr Mego; Mar 12, '11, 11:00 AM.
          Wanted to buy pair original shoes for vintage WOZ Wizard

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list in here.

Comment

• captact
            King of Super Queens!
            • Aug 19, 2007

Cant wait to see the final project,..i too would get the box with the shark only!!!!

Comment

• reevefan78
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 3, 2008

Aquashark repro box - first test prints 3.13.11

Hello all,

Greg sent these pics to me on Sunday night....the first test prints of the Aquashark box and I nearly fell out of my computer chair. These look so AWESOME (I know I'm a bit biased here but) and I couldn't be happier with the progress on the repro box! This repro set is something I've wanted to do ever since I got a second chance of owning a Mego shark....this time as an adult. The rarity of it made me want to make a repro but I just needed to find those that could help me realize this 'dream'. I finally found my 'dream team' and I am thrilled to be able to share this with all the great folks here on the Mego Museum.

Please keep in mind that these are simply test prints and do not represent the final production boxes.....but even so they look so cool! The final production insert will be printed on a matte surface and made to look as much like the original box and insert as possible.

I hope you all enjoy this sneak peak at the test prints before they are assembled. Thanks to Greg for sending these to me and allowing me to share these behind-the-scenes images with you all. Cheers!

More to follow soon......stay tuned!

Comment

• THE FALCON
                Career Member
                • Jan 2, 2011

Awesome!

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Looking nice!

Comment

• timb
                    Will Draw for Toys
                    • May 1, 2009

Wow, that looks beautiful, I am very impressed.

Comment

• clemso
                      Talkative Member
                      • Aug 8, 2001

Wow, are they like sticker sheets?

Comment

• wilbs518
                        Mego Collector
                        • Jul 25, 2009

Looks great!
                        sigpic

Comment

• dengar
                          • Jan 24, 2011

The prints are run through a xyron machine to add adhesive to back.

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

Dumb question

If the orange parts are going to get cut away and thrown out isn't it a waste of ink printing it with a color in the throw-out areas ?

Comment

• Robin NY
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Nov 13, 2008

wow, forgot all about this, do we have # attached to this yet??

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                                Banned
                                • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by clemso
                                Wow, are they like sticker sheets?
                                Looks like it's laminated. Problem that proofs have is that they may not be fully dried when they come off the printer. Iris Prints don't automatically dry when they come out. If these were done the old fashioned way of four color proofing the colors tend to breakdown and sometimes flake off. I have some old Rubies Halloween Boba Fett suit cards that I had to laminated so that they wouldn't completely breakdown and flake off. How I miss pre-press printing

I'm also thinking that the laminate is UV protection for the box so that it doesn't fade over time...I could be wrong though.
                                Last edited by Blue Meanie; Mar 14, '11, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎