Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in a repro Aquaman vs The Great White Shark set?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reevefan78
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 3, 2008

Update from Mold Maker 2.26.2011

Here's the latest update from the mold maker regarding "Aquashark".

"AquaShark is out of the quicky mold and cleaned up.

I plan on running resin again Tues - Thurs. This is when I plan to run the resin
    blank Aquashark.
    This resin copy is the pattern that I clean up by sanding, puttying, polishing,
    primering.... lather-rinse-repeat.."

More to follow soon. Stay tuned.

Comment

• reevefan78
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 3, 2008

Update from Repro box designer 2.26.2011

The repro box is coming along nicely. My designer friend has the layout of the "exploded" (flattened) box along with the wave design pattern that surrounds the cello window....the pattern was taken directly from scans (at 100% actual size) of an original Mego "Aquashark" box provided by "geoffdude". While there is still much work to be done to apply all the type in the appropriate areas, the illustration(s) of Aquaman fighting the shark that appears on the side panels and make it 100% accurate to the original, this is at least a monumental step in the right direction.

Comment

• reevefan78
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 3, 2008

"Aquashark" repro box side panels in progress

Hello all,

Okay, several of you have asked for photos so here's a sneak peak at the "Aquashark" repro box side panels in progress. The illustration shown below appears on both side panels on the original box so only one needed to be scanned and tweaked.....the repro box will make use of the illustration on both side panels like the original box has.

The original panel is on the right and the tweaked panel in progress is on the left. Please keep in mind that this is not the final panel on the left but an in progress screen shot so there is still work to be done on it to make it perfect.....i.e. making the blue background consistent behind the closed letter forms on the Mego symbol as well as the phrase that begins with, 'Watch the "huge jaws" open whenever.......'

The designer will match the blue background and wave patterns around the cello window as closely as he can to what he thinks the original box looks like from several different sources that I have provided for him. Without an actual box in hand to go by this will have to be approximate...but he has assured me it will look great when all is said and done. Even the high res scans are not 100% perfect color wise but he will make it aesthetically pleasing so hang tight.

I will show as much as I can without divulging too much info that both the mold maker and the designer would rather keep private.

P.S. The in progress panel on the left includes the white flap that tucks inside the bottom left and right sides of the box when the box is closed.

Comment

• wilbs518
          Mego Collector
          • Jul 25, 2009

Awesome!
          sigpic

Comment

• Brad
            Batman Fanatic
            • Aug 20, 2010

Reevefan78, I too have followed this thread and think it is awesome that you have taken on this project. I am sure that you have invested quite a lot of your time and money into it.

The scans look great and like everyone else I can't wait to see the finished project! Great job!!
            "Never take a person's dignity: it is worth everything to them, and nothing to you." - Frank Barron

Comment

• reevefan78
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by Brad
              Reevefan78, I too have followed this thread and think it is awesome that you have taken on this project. I am sure that you have invested quite a lot of your time and money into it.

The scans look great and like everyone else I can't wait to see the finished project! Great job!!

Brad,

Thanks for your kind words. I am very fortunate to be working with some very talented artists in their own rite......my mold maker friend, my box designer friend and my friend who's given me access to scans of his original Mego "Aquashark" box set. He is also a talented designer who has supplied some great illustrations of how this box set looks exploded and put together along with precise measurements for the most accurate repro box for my designer.

When all is said and done this is going to be a very professional looking repro set and the next best thing to creating a time machine that can travel back to 1978 to bring some of these original Mego sets back to the future. Each shark will look the same from the first to the last. My mold maker friend promises that the resin to pigment ratio will be measured precisely so that all the sharks will be the same color from the first to the last.

Stay tuned.....more to follow soon.

Comment

• Mr Mego
                Love to play with Megos
                • Oct 19, 2003

Kris, you've been double posts at near same time are not allowed.

Next time edit your post, we'll appreciate it.

[edited reason: found out what's his real name]
                Last edited by Mr Mego; Mar 12, '11, 1:35 AM. Reason: found out what's his real name
                Wanted to buy pair original shoes for vintage WOZ Wizard

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list in here.

Comment

• reevefan78
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by Commander
                  Frankly, you've been double posts at near same time are not allowed.

Next time edit your post, we'll appreciate it.
                  Pat,

Not sure what you mean there Pal.....unless you're trying to pull my leg, LOL

As for the near double posts....just wanted to make sure both sections were covered individually and with equal attention since I got updates from both on the same day....the mold maker's progress as well as the box designer's progress. But yeah....in the future I'll just update with a single post.......okay, Buddy?

Much more to follow.....stay tuned!

Comment

• geoffdude
                    Banned
                    • Apr 18, 2009

:/

geoffdude
                    Last edited by geoffdude; Feb 28, '11, 12:50 AM.

Comment

• reevefan78
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by geoffdude
                      :/

geoffdude
                      No way Geoff! You're "the MAN"! Without you we wouldn't have those sweet scans of your Mego Aquashark "treasure set"! My team and I owe you a great deal of gratitude for all that you've contributed to what we hope will be one of the best Repro Mego items ever made. I can't thank you enough Bro!

Comment

• geoffdude
                        Banned
                        • Apr 18, 2009

^ ^
                        ...> <
                        ...\ /

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by reevefan78
                          Pat,

Not sure what you mean there Pal.....unless you're trying to pull my leg, LOL

As for the near double posts....just wanted to make sure both sections were covered individually and with equal attention since I got updates from both on the same day....the mold maker's progress as well as the box designer's progress. But yeah....in the future I'll just update with a single post.......okay, Buddy?

Much more to follow.....stay tuned!
                          Nevermind Pat, you post as much as you like
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Great progress--thanks for keeping us updated!
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• clemso
                              Talkative Member
                              • Aug 8, 2001

Originally posted by reevefan78
                              Hello all,

Okay, several of you have asked for photos so here's a sneak peak at the "Aquashark" repro box side panels in progress. The illustration shown below appears on both side panels on the original box so only one needed to be scanned and tweaked.....the repro box will make use of the illustration on both side panels like the original box has.

The original panel is on the right and the tweaked panel in progress is on the left. Please keep in mind that this is not the final panel on the left but an in progress screen shot so there is still work to be done on it to make it perfect.....i.e. making the blue background consistent behind the closed letter forms on the Mego symbol as well as the phrase that begins with, 'Watch the "huge jaws" open whenever.......'

The designer will match the blue background and wave patterns around the cello window as closely as he can to what he thinks the original box looks like from several different sources that I have provided for him. Without an actual box in hand to go by this will have to be approximate...but he has assured me it will look great when all is said and done. Even the high res scans are not 100% perfect color wise but he will make it aesthetically pleasing so hang tight.

I will show as much as I can without divulging too much info that both the mold maker and the designer would rather keep private.

P.S. The in progress panel on the left includes the white flap that tucks inside the bottom left and right sides of the box when the box is closed.

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/...27_posting.jpg
                              Thanks for posting a scan, looks like terrific progress. Question. I notice that the blue on the touched up scan does not match the original. Are you having problems with color correction?

Comment

• Mr Mego
                                Love to play with Megos
                                • Oct 19, 2003

Originally posted by Meule
                                Nevermind Pat, you post as much as you like
                                Thanks Thomas,

I had padded post counts in the past that our previous Mego Moderator warned me twice time in our 1st old forum.

Then I noticed this forum doesn't warns other member(s) and me, I guess I go ahead and post as much I like.

And Kris,

I think I'm wrong about you. Sorry about that.
                                Last edited by Mr Mego; Mar 2, '11, 11:13 PM. Reason: he hid his real name
                                Wanted to buy pair original shoes for vintage WOZ Wizard

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list in here.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎