Mego 50th Deadman (Wave 18)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xavion2004
    • Dec 15, 2022

Count me on the “Metztgar Wash” side of the great Mego Deadman debate. Still not quite a buy for me though. I’m not a fan of how the collar was done on the chest. I like FTC’s approach better.

Comment

• hizzy
      Museum Super Collector
      • Apr 1, 2023

The wash gave it detail that you don't see in classic Mego figures. It looks better than the prototype, but the wash-less version is simple Mego perfection.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by TRDouble
        Finally, I cannot help but post a comparison picture with FTC, which I will do with most of this wave, not to cause controversy, but you cannot ignore that both companies made these characters.
        That's not controversial; it's what we do here. I totally wanted a side-by-side like this.

I understand Mego does want FTC acknowledged in Ambassadors, and that's their domain, but here, we are free to discuss these things.

Honestly, I think it would be better if we did hold these conversations more, as the other way seems to cause rivalry.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
          Eh, speaking for myself, I prefer some kind of wash on the paper white heads. Any sculpted detail just gets absorbed into a white abyss. Perhaps the black wash is a bit too heavy and a thinner grey or purple wash would work better.
          I think a more subtle wash would work nice, I never thought purple would be cool.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

I like it with the original wash.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
              Eh, speaking for myself, I prefer some kind of wash on the paper white heads. Any sculpted detail just gets absorbed into a white abyss. Perhaps the black wash is a bit too heavy and a thinner grey or purple wash would work better.
              Yes I think something slighter and in a different tone is better.

Similarly, though I think Deadman has a much "better" look than Bizarro, Bizarro might benefit from changing the eye-shadow from black to gray.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TRDouble
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by sprytel
                I like it with the original wash.
                Me too, but I think a more subtle wash would work well too.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

I dislike washes on toys as a rule. On retro toys I dislike it even more. I think it just makes them look dirty.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Vintage Mego did "washes" or shading too. Look at the Green Goblin. There's some nice shading going on there aroudn the eyes, nose, cheeks.

I don't have Deadman in hand yet, so I will refrain from commenting on if the wash was too heavily applied. But to me it adds to the Neal Adams look of the character. His work was always heavy with hatching and he was often influential on how his comics were colored as well.
                    sigpic

Comment

• darkbros
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 3, 2012

I like it sans wash.
                      Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                      https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                      "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• scott metzger
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by Werewolf
                        I dislike washes on toys as a rule. On retro toys I dislike it even more. I think it just makes them look dirty.
                        Yeah, Toy Biz got into really heavy washes for a while in Marvel Legends, and it looked like like the figures just got done with a mud wrestling bout. Not to say that all wahses are bad, The wash on the non-Universal modern Mego mummy head was very well done, just enough to add depth, and worked fine with the style of the modern figures. All depends on the figure, the context, how well the wash is done, and personal tastes.

Comment

• thatblockoguy
                          • Mar 24, 2010

Unfortunately I have to add myself to the list of those with broken knees. I collect all types of action figures and I’m always cautious when maneuvering loosening joints but in this case, I bare applied any pressure to bend the knee and it snapped like a piece of spaghetti. I appreciate that Mego tried to correct the knee articulation from the previous waves but something is wrong with the quality of plastic being used. Trapped air bubbles maybe. Really is a shame

Comment

• nubee
                            Career Member
                            • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by thatblockoguy
                            Unfortunately I have to add myself to the list of those with broken knees. I collect all types of action figures and I’m always cautious when maneuvering loosening joints but in this case, I bare applied any pressure to bend the knee and it snapped like a piece of spaghetti. I appreciate that Mego tried to correct the knee articulation from the previous waves but something is wrong with the quality of plastic being used. Trapped air bubbles maybe. Really is a shame

I wonder what is the breakage ratio on this Brittle-body wave. Of the 4 I have opened, it was 50:50. Broken Dr. Fate and Deadman. One had a knee area and the other the elbow. The Firestorm and 2nd Dr. Fate I opened have no issues . It seems Mego is plague with some kinda' curse: Each wave suffers from some kinda' issue from the semi-loose sidekick body, the no knee articulation body to the current Brittle Body syndrome. Personally, I will no longer buy any more Mego until others have put in their opinion. Who knows what new surprises the next wave will contain. Heck with FOMO and this includes the upcoming Marvel ones. I have other things I could buy with expendable income. For me, Mego have been a BIG disappointment since they switched over to the bandless body.

Comment

• thatblockoguy
                              • Mar 24, 2010

Originally posted by nubee

I wonder what is the breakage ratio on this Brittle-body wave. Of the 4 I have opened, it was 50:50. Broken Dr. Fate and Deadman. One had a knee area and the other the elbow. The Firestorm and 2nd Dr. Fate I opened have no issues . It seems Mego is plague with some kinda' curse: Each wave suffers from some kinda' issue from the semi-loose sidekick body, the no knee articulation body to the current Brittle Body syndrome. Personally, I will no longer buy any more Mego until others have put in their opinion. Who knows what new surprises the next wave will contain. Heck with FOMO and this includes the upcoming Marvel ones. I have other things I could buy with expendable income. For me, Mego have been a BIG disappointment since they switched over to the bandless body.
                              I’m afraid I must agree. I don’t remember hearing about any breakages from the first 50th wave. Really like the figure assortment from this wavel but I also have these characters from other lines. I’ll be waiting on the reviews for the next wave to see if the brittle joint syndrome has been fixed.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                                Often invisible
                                • Jul 18, 2002

I’ve opened about 10 figures from the new wave with no issues. I had one figure with an elbow that wouldn’t budge, but a minute or two under hot tap water and it loosened right up. I’m pretty meticulous about feeling which way the joint is supposed to go before I try to move anything. Worked so far.
                                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎