• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

Mego 50th Deadman (Wave 18)

They have arrived.

I received my shipment of Wave 18 50th anniversary figures yesterday. Upon first look, I had mixed feelings. And to be honest, it was always kind of an odd wave for me because Mego decided to make characters that FTC already made, and made well IMO. It's different when it's A-Listers, like Batman, Superman, etc. But a lot of these characters are lesser known, like Dr. Fate, Red Tornado, Firestorm, and of course, Deadman. So the choices seemed odd.

I just wanted to get that out of the way.

So, today, even though I am short on time, I decided I wanted to open up what I could. And Deadman was on top of the pile, so he is up first.

Once you pull him out of the box and pop up the collar, Deadman looks really good! I didn't think I would like the face wash, but it works really well and adds more definition to the face. The costume fits okay, a little wrinkly in the crotch, but it looks fine. The sleeve cuffs are made of a different fabric, not vinyl or pleather. I don't recall another Mego figure going this route, but I think it works well.

Mego Deadman 1.jpg Mego Deadman 2.jpg Mego Deadman 3.jpg

Is the knee problem fixed? Yes, the knee does bend further back, maybe 90 degrees, so that's better, but I did expect a little more bend.

Mego Deadman 4.jpg

Overall, for a figure of Wave 18 that I looked forward to the least, he turned out really good. Good enough that I made the swap of my FTC Deadman for him in my display. I was not expecting to do that. They are different takes on the character and seeing the Mego Deadman with the FTC costume would be interesting though.

Finally, I cannot help but post a comparison picture with FTC, which I will do with most of this wave, not to cause controversy, but you cannot ignore that both companies made these characters. Note my FTC Deadman was moved to a Type-S body and the plug-in gloves were replaced with full vinyl gloves.

Mego Deadman & FTC.jpg
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I like him, good Mego vibe.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
      Radioactive!
      • Feb 13, 2010

Thanks for the great photos! Like you, I wish Mego had made characters that weren’t made recently and so well by FTC.

I think the wash on Deadman’s face looks terrific, giving him a real Neal Adams vibe. I like my FTC Deadman enough that I will probably not double dip, but this looks great.

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

Thanks for doing this. For some reason I just was not inspired to buy any of these characters. They both look great like drawn by two different people.
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Krypt0nite
          Radioactive!
          • Feb 13, 2010

Mego Deadman is more Neal Adams, and FTC Deadman is more like Garcia-Lopez.

Comment

• scott metzger
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 9, 2007

THe collar looks much better than the initial prototype pics. The head is pure Adams. Gotta admit, getting two favorite DC characters (Mr. Brand here and Red Tornado) in actual Mego form was a surprise; they aren't big names, so I was very pleased to see Mego digging a little deeper into the Bronze Age.

Comment

• scott metzger
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 9, 2007

Got my box from ZLC with the 50th figures. Deadman came out looking even better than any of the promo pics; the costume and the collar work very well (though I would suggest using a tiny dab of glue on the back of the velcro on the top of the collar; it doesn't lay flat on mine, and the collar settles into place so much better when it does). THe fit is good, as well. The headsculpt is a Neal Adams drawing in 3d; every line, every angle screams Adams. Definitely one of the best sculpts we've seen in the line. I did take a q-tip and some Testor's liquid cement to the wash on the face, and I honestly think it looks better without it. Somehow it seems the wash obscures the sculpt as much, if not more, than it accentuates it. The detail still shows clearly without it, again testifying to the quality of the sculpt. I'll try to take a picture when I get the chance.

Comment

• TRDouble
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 10, 2012

I think the wash looks great on the sculpt -- much better than I thought it would -- but I would love to see the head sculpt without the wash. Looking forward to the pictures.

Comment

• scott metzger
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 9, 2007

Mr. Brand minus the wash. The wash doesn't look bad, honestly, but one thing I've always loved about the Megos is their crisp, very Silver/Bronze age colors and clean look, bright and simple like the comics. I carry that over into my customs, too, trying to keep that clean, four color feel.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by scott metzger; Apr 1, '24, 9:02 AM.

Comment

• hizzy
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Apr 1, 2023

better without the wash!!

Comment

• warlock664
                      Persistent Member
                      • Feb 15, 2009

Wow, that looks better !

Comment

• Jmass
                        Museum Patron
                        • Jan 19, 2006

That looks so much better.

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Wow this is really a good example of how less can be more.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• nubee
                            Career Member
                            • Feb 15, 2010

Thanks for the pic. I agree with others comments too. He looks better.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                              Often invisible
                              • Jul 18, 2002

Eh, speaking for myself, I prefer some kind of wash on the paper white heads. Any sculpted detail just gets absorbed into a white abyss. Perhaps the black wash is a bit too heavy and a thinner grey or purple wash would work better.
                              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎