Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • houseofdracula
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 11, 2011

For me, I learned my lesson with wave 1 of this series.
    I had waited my entire life (it seems) for Mego styled figures based on the Batman 66 line but when I saw the first released photos, I thought that Robin (Burt Ward) looked more like Jane Hathaway of the Beverly Hillbillies.
    1-4-5.jpgjane.jpg
    I almost didn't buy them but I was glad that I did, once I had them in hand.
    They looked much better in person. (my opinion)
    I don't think the actual figure looks like Miss Jane, it was either a bad paint job on his lips or just a bad photo.

I was NEVER a fan of female Mego's.
    They reminded me of the generic looking dolls that my Sisters would sometimes play with.
    Actually, they reminded me of those toilet paper dolls that we'd see in the 70's.
    tp003.jpgtp002.jpgtp001.jpg
    I remember thinking that the company who did the Charlie's Angels figures did a much better job.
    Nothing has changed in 40 years, I'm still not a fan of the female Mego figures.

Therefore, I never had high hopes for Batgirl, Barbara Gorden or Catwoman.
    Sure, I got excited over that first photo that I posted in this thread because it somehow made the figure look better than any other female Mego type that I'd ever seen.
    Now that I know that this isn't going to be the case, I'm back where I started with low expectations.

Yes, it would be fantastic if these figures were miniature, 8 inch versions of Hot Toys type figures but they're not.
    So, as long as she's not broken in any way and she can stand up on her own, I'm not going to complain.
    it is what it is and they are what they are.
    Last edited by houseofdracula; Mar 23, '16, 7:34 PM.
    The House of Dracula - Monster Model Museum.
    https://www.facebook.com/houseofdracula

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

I received mine the other day.....I'm happy with it. It's just for display with my other Batman stuff. If I order another one I'll just swap it out....

12512377_10154023790632486_3105116007954764469_n.jpg

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
        learning all the time
        • Sep 15, 2010

I should have mine in a day or so.
        Since the retro action Cheetah aint cheap (and the ZICA Yvonne fig is pricey!) I was wondering how are the BBP female bodies? are they any better than FTC?

Comment

• megomania
          Persistent Member
          • Jan 2, 2010

Clamshelled or not, she's pretty bad. At this point in the FTC life cycle, they should be ashamed for putting this out.

Too be all over the place with head sizes is really inexcusable, particularly considering the price hikes they've instituted.

I've stopped buying their stuff and would liquidate everything I did buy but the wife is making me keep it. Can't justifying getting .25 on the dollar.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
            I received mine the other day.....I'm happy with it. It's just for display with my other Batman stuff. If I order another one I'll just swap it out....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17909[/ATTACH]
            Now see? What is going on with her head? I'm starting to think that a part of the problem could be camera angles? I don't know. She doesn't look half bad in this ^ pic. Still not loving the belt or Medusa hair but this is one of the better shots I've seen. Thanks.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
              Moderation Engineer
              • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by C.H.O.A.M.
              I should have mine in a day or so.
              Since the retro action Cheetah aint cheap (and the ZICA Yvonne fig is pricey!) I was wondering how are the BBP female bodies? are they any better than FTC?
              I bought a lot of BBP gals for the bodies, and I have been breaking hip pins and/or rubber bands right and left. I don't see any advantage over FTC.

Comment

• Toycade
                Museum Super Collector
                • Jul 8, 2014

I know I sell these and could be perceived as having a bias. Totally fair. But...we just got these in and the heads are perfectly fine.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                  I bought a lot of BBP gals for the bodies, and I have been breaking hip pins and/or rubber bands right and left. I don't see any advantage over FTC.
                  I have had the same experience. For those who like the Cheetah body, isn't/wasn't the 8 Inch Superstore site selling them? I checked but the site is down for maintenance through 3/28.
                  Last edited by lilbrosj66; Mar 24, '16, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                    Moderation Engineer
                    • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by lilbrosj66
                    I have had the same experience. For those who like the Cheetah body, isn't/wasn't the 8 Inch Superstore site selling them? I checked but the site is down for maintenance through 3/28.
                    They were for awhile, but I thought they ran out. Craig has the site down until the 28th, I assume for inventory updates. I need to get a few things from there before they're gone.

As for Batgirl, I have seen pics where she looks fine, and others where.....not so much. I will find a good pose and go with it.

Comment

• darkbros
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 3, 2012

The ultimate test would be for someone to photograph this against/ next to the OEM Mego Daisy Duke!!!
                      IF her head is as big as THAT head, then I'd definitely pass this figure by!!!
                      Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                      https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                      "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• darkbros
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 3, 2012

Originally posted by tjacwave50

We as the consumer buyer shouldn't have to spend time and extra money to fix something brand new.

I know someone would say, (well if your not happy don't buy it) but when it comes to this hobby we wait
                        patiently for something we badly want, then when it's released its a disappointment, but we want it so bad
                        we're willing to spend the money, (I'm sure the factory makers know this) then have to make are own personal
                        changes, should we really need to do that?
                        +1 to this right here.
                        For me if it isn't better than the custom I already made, or IF I have to spend money to "fix" their mistake,
                        I'd rather just customize. If nothing else, the custom will be "right" in my eyes. For instance, I hate this Batgirl's
                        boots! Why not simply go the extra step, and turn the sewed soles of the suit into a simple open heel strap, and then put it OVER
                        a small pair of purple ankle length boots? It would be closer to the OEM look of the '66 Batgirl.

For me, FTC is saving me money left and right. At this point, I'm only wanting a Comic based Catwoman and Cyborg,
                        those are the only two that actually look correct, from FTC.
                        Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                        https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                        "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• OCSuperman
                          Museum Patron
                          • Sep 4, 2014

Mine arrived today ... I think Batgirl looks much better in hand (in my opinion). She looks great w/ the Dynamic Duo. I open mine and put them in retro Mego style boxes to display and her head does look bigger at certain angles (mostly from down / up). Overall, I like this figure ... although the "high" belt is the one neg.

Comment

• tllgn
                            Persistent Member
                            • Feb 6, 2010

I also got batgirl today.yes the heads a bit to large.I wonder why they didn't paint the ears black.regardless of her faults I like her.i like the arms gloves idea.however I do think she would have benefited having jayna gloves to more match batman and robin .its still a nice toy. And its just a toy.the only thing that's really a stand out in negative is the head size.imo.

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
                              learning all the time
                              • Sep 15, 2010

FWIW, I got mine today.
                              It really does look better in person.
                              Is it as nice as Brian's or Jessica's? Of course not.
                              It doesn't even look as good as the first Batman and Robin, or Tut, or the Joker, or the Penguin... but it does look good!
                              The body sucks, but we all knew that already. The head is too big, but depending on how you display it, it's really not that bad.
                              I will wait and see how the acetone shrink turns out, and if I feel like swapping out the body. Otherwise I just plan to get a custom mego style windowbox, throw it on the shelf next to the others and be done with it.

Comment

• tllgn
                                Persistent Member
                                • Feb 6, 2010

Oh on a closer look they did paint the ears.its the cowl paint is darker then the outfit.they should have used a lighter shade.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎