The Mego Museum needs your help!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No one else will say it. So I will. The new stuff looks bad.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boss
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 18, 2003

^^Scott that image reminds me of the line from Tootsie when they ask the camera man how far he can pull back to make Dustin Hoffman look better on screen... "How do you feel about Cleveland?"
    Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• megoscott
      Founding Partner
      • Nov 17, 2006

LOL, that's classic, yes.
      This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Whatever anyone may think about the figures... we can all agree that is a great pic of your son! Awesome to see how excited he is.

Comment

• invisiblelad
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 6, 2014

MegoScott, I LOVE how happy & excited your son looks w/ his new mego Alfred! I play with these with my x2 nephews. The 9 year old was playing w/ Batman wave 1 (on replacement sturdier FTC bodies), wave 2, Batgirl & Alfred from wave 3 & the Titans! The almost 11 year old brought up the BIG head on Alfred on his own, but for once I made no complaints about the figures we were playing with (we play G.I. Joe, Justice League Unlimited, Masters of the Universe Classics, & NOW thanks to FTC...MEGOs!), & my 9 year old nephew who has a huge imagination & eye for detail said NOTHING about the HUGE HEAD on Alfreds shoulders! So for the kids....they just LOVE them! The imagination my daughter & neice had as a little girls was well beyond their cousins & friends, all from us playing Barbie, action figures, Sailor Moon dolls & Strawberry Shortcake! Now my 2 nephews have way more imagination, have a higher vocabulary, & are not as hopelessly obsessed with video games then their peers/cousins..... all because I've always played with them with action figures (1st Little people of course!). I wish kids these days played with toys like we all did, & now our kids (or kids in our lives) completely benefit from our spending time teaching them about these characters....& most importantly letting them PLAY using their imaginations......& my favorite....PLAYING WITH THEM with my toys! It's good to be a man-boy! It keeps me young & them imaginative! So I LOVE your pics!

Comment

• Ivaniski
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 24, 2007

I surely hope that FTC can fix the "Big Head Issue" soon...Other then that the new head sculpts are looking "Amazing".
            Last edited by Ivaniski; Jul 21, '14, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• jayraytee
              Career Member
              • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by MegoScott
              I promised I'd let you know what my son thinks of Alfred's head.

No complaints!

[ATTACH]11797[/ATTACH]
              Now there's an opinion that really counts.
              My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 18, 2007

melkorjunior

melkorjunior is offline Museum Patron

For me the biggest letdown is the Jane figure. The too doll-like face shows (for me) that FTC is erring too much on the side of copying the babyfaced Mego look for females. Characters like La of Opar or Dejah Thoris, who are supposed to be sexy, will simply look awful in that style.

I'll be picking up a Tarzan, and also a Korak for his bow and his trunks, to add to Tarzan. But that's it. No Jane for me, no Meriem.

" For me, the biggest problem with the entire Re-Mego movement, across all the different manufacturers, is the fact that they refuse to update the look for females. Tiny little stick figure bodies, baby-looking faces--they're awful in general. I didn't like EMCE's Uhura at all no matter how true it was to the original and I don't like FTC's females either. Ironically, Mattel actually got it right, despite all the other wrong decisions they made. Their Wonder Woman and Cheetah figures actually looked like women, not 8 year old girls."

I couldn't agree more...they have zero character resemblence...they are completely generic and could be anyone at all. Deeply dissapointed in the female.

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 18, 2007

Scott, kids dont care about scale...lol

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

I don't know why, but Alfred's head seems fine to me.
                    I know, it's big, but so is my own.
                    For Alfred, it seems ok, and I do want to pick one up someday.
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^Maybe it's because it makes Alfred look thinner, like he should?

I don't know why, but I got mine last week, and while the head is a little large, it didn't bother me much. It really does look worse in the pics I've seen, rather than in person. Not making excuses, but it just does to me.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

^Same here. One thing I don't like though, is my Alfred's hair has some weird brown wash all over it that makes it look dirty. I'm gonna repaint mine straight black.

Comment

• jeffbearco
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 27, 2011

Fuzzysnail:
                          " For me, the biggest problem with the entire Re-Mego movement, across all the different manufacturers, is the fact that they refuse to update the look for females. Tiny little stick figure bodies, baby-looking faces--they're awful in general. I didn't like EMCE's Uhura at all no matter how true it was to the original and I don't like FTC's females either. Ironically, Mattel actually got it right, despite all the other wrong decisions they made. Their Wonder Woman and Cheetah figures actually looked like women, not 8 year old girls."

I couldn't agree more. I keep hoping that FTC will remake the female body they use before they get to the 66 Batgirl and Catwoman/women. I'm also hoping for some really great character likenesses!

JeffBearCO

Comment

• scott metzger
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 9, 2007

I'm kind of on the opposite side with the ladies; I really disliked the Mattel bodies, though the faces were good. I always wished there was a little more detail on the Mego bodies (a simple clavicle on the chest would make a huge difference), but I really prefer them keeping the style for the lines they are doing now. I want the stuff compatible with the old figures as much as possible.

Comment

• GUYx1
                              FORMER MEGO COLLECTOR
                              • Apr 20, 2005

Scott, thank you for posting the scary Alfred photos. He has this unintentional inhuman quality.
                              I might be tempted to turn the head into some sort of evil alien creature.
                              Not Modoc, but if I play up the sinister nature of such a huge head, I could so do something with it.
                              Cheers,
                              Guyx1

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by scott metzger
                                I'm kind of on the opposite side with the ladies; I really disliked the Mattel bodies, though the faces were good. I always wished there was a little more detail on the Mego bodies (a simple clavicle on the chest would make a huge difference), but I really prefer them keeping the style for the lines they are doing now. I want the stuff compatible with the old figures as much as possible.
                                Completely with you on this. I think Mattel nailed the heads for the WW and Cheetah figures but those female bodies are, IMHO, horrible. I'm not sure what is going on with the knock-knees/bow-legged thing they did and the hands look like baby hands on adult arms. Complete miss all the way around for me. AND they don't hold a pose for squat. But we have beat that horse to death on here many times. My point is, I hope FTC, with some slight tweaking to the tightness issues, sticks with the female bodies they are using now. I don't think they are as good as the original MEGO female bodies, but they are a very close second. Again, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎