Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not get a license people will actually buy?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

I think the fact that I can't go to Entertainment Earth and purchase a Maude figure from BBP is an obvious sign of just how out of touch they really are. The lack of a World's Greatest Mail Carriers line just reinforces my point. No vision whatsoever from those guys.

Comment

• Byrnes
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 19, 2011

Maybe it's something they love. If I owned a company and could afford it, I would put out stuff I loved and could get the rights to do. I'm sure paying for the license is a huge cluster F. That has to be the worst part of owning a toy company, only doing what you can. Not what you want.
      WWW.OG13.com - GI Joe, Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Star Trek, toys and more

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
        I think the fact that I can't go to Entertainment Earth and purchase a Maude figure from BBP is an obvious sign of just how out of touch they really are. The lack of a World's Greatest Mail Carriers line just reinforces my point. No vision whatsoever from those guys.
        After Newman, Cliff Claven and Willy Lumpkin who else would be in the mail carrier line?
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

Genius. If I had a toy company, you would be head of product development.

Wave 1 would include...

Wave 2

Last edited by samurainoir; Jan 10, '14, 12:29 PM.
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

arrghh, forgot McFeely.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Figuremod73
              That 80's guy
              • Jul 27, 2011

I sorta disagree about generics getting no interest. Chap Mei does pretty good at Toys R' Us. I know quite a few people who like their lines and they're CHEAP to because they have no tie in with anything.

More clothing and head choices are definately welcome.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                Persistent Member
                • Apr 28, 2013

Originally posted by Figuremod73
                I sorta disagree about generics getting no interest. Chap Mei does pretty good at Toys R' Us. I know quite a few people who like their lines and they're CHEAP to because they have no tie in with anything.

More clothing and head choices are definately welcome.
                I was just thinking about this last night, as well. The good thing about the generics with Chap Mei (at least recently) is that they will touch on movie themes that are coming out (or recently released). They had the Adventure line with all Mummy related things along the lines of the Mummy movies, and Pirates that could go alongside the Pirates of the Carribean, the new line of Elves and Orcs for after the Hobbit came out and now they have the Greek figures that you could say were in line with the Clash of the Titans 2 or prior to the two Hercules movies coming out this year. Pretty solid timing for generic figures. That would be the way to go for getting figures into ToysRuS, but again, you have to go on the cheap for generics. Outside of that, most of the Disney older stuff is based off of old stories so you could do a Prince Charming figure as long as it didnt resemble the Disney version. Again, timing would be everything like getting a Huntsman figure out prior to a Snow White themed film that wasnt going to flop and would appeal to children.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                  Moderation Engineer
                  • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by samurainoir
                  Genius. If I had a toy company, you would be head of product development.

Wave 1 would include...

Wave 2

It's so obvious to us, but the suits are just clueless. Obviously there would be a wave or two of alter ego versions of each, in their civies. A little paint and McFeely would make a great Captain Kangaroo. Don't even get me started on what a travesty it is that a Mr. Green Jeans figure has never graced the toy aisle.

Comment

• Teemu
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 15, 2010

So nobody wants to buy Barry Davis Obama?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

After Newman, Cliff Claven and Willy Lumpkin who else would be in the mail carrier line?
                      Fred Astaire from "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". Oh wait, he has an action figure!

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• megoscott
                        Founding Partner
                        • Nov 17, 2006

Dukes of Hazzard seems to have a pretty healthy fan following. 327,000 followers on Facebook. I don't see FTC mentioned anywhere on those pages, I hope they are planning to market these beyond Mego fans.

Gilligan can't be an expensive license these days, probably a decent bet if they can get their marketing together for it. Dunno about Dallas.
                        This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• megoscott
                          Founding Partner
                          • Nov 17, 2006

The picture of Cliff Clavin makes me wonder what the Cheers license would involve. I'd buy Seinfeld in a heartbeat for that matter.
                          This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Starroid Raiders Dagon
                            I was just thinking about this last night, as well. The good thing about the generics with Chap Mei (at least recently) is that they will touch on movie themes that are coming out (or recently released). They had the Adventure line with all Mummy related things along the lines of the Mummy movies, and Pirates that could go alongside the Pirates of the Carribean, the new line of Elves and Orcs for after the Hobbit came out and now they have the Greek figures that you could say were in line with the Clash of the Titans 2 or prior to the two Hercules movies coming out this year. Pretty solid timing for generic figures. That would be the way to go for getting figures into ToysRuS, but again, you have to go on the cheap for generics. Outside of that, most of the Disney older stuff is based off of old stories so you could do a Prince Charming figure as long as it didnt resemble the Disney version. Again, timing would be everything like getting a Huntsman figure out prior to a Snow White themed film that wasnt going to flop and would appeal to children.
                            all that's at TRU and not at a company that is mostly built around the fanboy base that shops online. CTVT's pirates and stuff probably would have done ok at TRU or Dollar General when Jack Sparrow was big.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

I think the fact that I can't go to Entertainment Earth and purchase a Maude figure from BBP is an obvious sign of just how out of touch they really are.
                              We need to get together and do a Maude figure--Bea Arthur deserves toy immortalization.

And it must have a voice chip .
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• megomania
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jan 2, 2010

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                                We need to get together and do a Maude figure--Bea Arthur deserves toy immortalization.

And it must have a voice chip .
                                Would it have the Male or Female body?? Or half and half?

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎