Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wasimhosen
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 23, 2011

Didn't the original alter egos just come with the head and outfit? I would be happy just to buy that.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

sorry, but for 25 bucks (plus shipping and FLA sales tax which would put this figure at around 30 bucks, its not like I can buy one off the shelf at TRU) I should get a decent usable figure, not something I am going to have to customize to get right. The really bad part of this is its not a great first impression on somebody just getting into this hobby.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Sadly, I've become a Hot Toys addict(is there a Hotline I can call?)...so a $30.00 price tag for a complete MINT repro Mego doesn't really scare me away.
        sigpic

Comment

• Boywonder0
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 29, 2007

I'd say everyone is entitled to buy what they like... I like the FTC Batman Series Figures and I'll buy these. I'll buy them all and no one would influence me to not doing so.

Yes, I'm willing to replace the FTC bodies (when necessary) by a Dr. Mego Type 2 body or simply repair (re-string) these when possible. I am really looking forward to the new ZICA/Castaway Type "Z" body which I expect to become the ultimate Type 2 Mego repro body. Even by adding an extra $10 to switch to one of these bodies I'll still get a minty mint figure I can reseal in a clamshell like from factory for $35. I would not find a minty mint Mego for that much. So I'm a happy camper.

For those seeking fully poseable figures with cloth costumes (Mego style) that are free of defects you can start looking at Sideshow, Hot Toys and Enterbay figures... And be willing to pay the price (+$180)...

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Thing is, even expensive Hot toys like you mentioned, are not free of defects. Go to the Sideshow message boards and hear all the problems and whining.

Comment

• megoscott
              Founding Partner
              • Nov 17, 2006

These bodies are clearly light years ahead of where they were in 2005. There's no hideous flashing, they aren't totally brittle and falling apart like rotting corpses. I'm in love with the heads, the squishy factor is just perfect.

That said, having that shoulder fail is not okay. For Christmas I'll be giving a few of these figures to a young boy and he will play with them. It's not too much to expect that it will stand up to play...it's a toy. You cannot rely upon all your product staying in the package or being handled gingerly by collector hands or repaired by savvy Mego-heads. PART of the whole dream of bringing back Megos was also to interest a younger generation in them. I've seen first hand how popular they can be with young kids, Megos are fun to play with, make sure they can take it.

Getting this body right has been a challenge for all the ReMego players. I'm surprised no one took the Zicaway approach before.
              This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Hedji
                Thing is, even expensive Hot toys like you mentioned, are not free of defects. Go to the Sideshow message boards and hear all the problems and whining.
                Totally agree....and I'm part of the forum. "The Bat" of course.
                sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

"Zicaway", Scott? Cool.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• BATMAN89
                    Mego obsessed!!!
                    • Jul 20, 2010

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    sorry, but for 25 bucks (plus shipping and FLA sales tax which would put this figure at around 30 bucks, its not like I can buy one off the shelf at TRU) I should get a decent usable figure, not something I am going to have to customize to get right. The really bad part of this is its not a great first impression on somebody just getting into this hobby.
                    I was just saying that to my wife.
                    Some people don't even know how to fix Megos.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
                    Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
                    My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• ubermanx
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 3, 2013

Well now ...

I have been a bit harsh on the FTC bodies. The arm situation renders these useless as a toy for children. When the arms snap off shortly (if they haven't already in the package) then the average parent who bought these for their children will not say, "Ooo, guess I better order a new body from Doc.". They will say "What a cheap piece o' $30 turd. I guess I won't be buying Little Jimmy any more of these."

As a collectable they are awesome because most of us do know the address to Doc's website and can handle a little thing like a body swap. We shouldn't have to but that's another story.

So, today, I am taking a Bif Bang Pow Doctor Who Master out of the package and instantly one hip pin disintegrates. Taking the clothes off to inspect the damage the other hip pin blows. Then I look at the arms and they display the exact same tearing I found on the FTC Batman. Different style elastic but same result.

I guess FTC isn't the only one that isn't quite up to snuff? Now, does anyone have a spare redish brown body lying around?

- Marty
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by ubermanx; Dec 17, '13, 9:17 AM.

Comment

• Wise4671
                        Banned
                        • Aug 11, 2007

Just got a set of these to give my son for Christmas. I wonder if he will open them or keep them sealed and hang them on his wall.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                          That 80's guy
                          • Jul 27, 2011

Originally posted by ubermanx
                          Well now ...

I have been a bit harsh on the FTC bodies. The arm situation renders these useless as a toy for children. When the arms snap off shortly (if they haven't already in the package) then the average parent who bought these for their children will not say, "Ooo, guess I better order a new body from Doc.". They will say "What a cheap piece o' $30 turd. I guess I won't be buying Little Jimmy any more of these."

As a collectable they are awesome because most of us do know the address to Doc's website and can handle a little thing like a body swap. We shouldn't have to but that's another story.

So, today, I am taking a Bif Bang Pow Doctor Who Master out of the package and instantly one hip pin disintegrates. Taking the clothes off to inspect the damage the other hip pin blows. Then I look at the arms and they display the exact same tearing I found on the FTC Batman. Different style elastic but same result.

I guess FTC isn't the only one that isn't quite up to snuff? Now, does anyone have a spare redish brown body lying around?

- Marty
                          I can see this getting rather old after a few figures doing this.... I think those new rubberband-less bodies are gonna be a big hit in the long run.

Comment

• rche
                            channeling Bob Wills
                            • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by ubermanx
                            Well now ...

- Marty
                            It is not so much the design of the figures as it is a materials issue. I am not that well versed in the different types f plastics used in modern toymaking, but the materials used for the arms are much softer than what was used 35+ years ago, and the rubber bands are strung very tightly.

Because of the arm issue, I have taken to restringing T1 style any BBP or eMCe figure I give to my kids. Once you get the super tight bands and metal couplers off of the shoulder joints, they hold up great! It looks as if FTC is using a similar plastic now for the arms on their new bodies. I haven't picked up any new FTC items to make a comparison, but if they are compatible with their earlier bodies, those arms are made of a less malleable plastic. Perhaps some of those old ctvt bodies will come in handy now.

If it is a large scale problem, then I could definitely see consumers deciding not to be return customers. So, hopefully, this is a short term issue.

Comment

• Wasimhosen
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 23, 2011

bat and friends.jpg
                              Here's how they look on Doc's buff swivel arm body. Robin lost an arm in the removing of clothes. Riddlers body will likely lose one of his if he's touched again. The hands switched fine. I wasn't sure they would fit until I tried. Much happier with them now. I wish figures would have an option just to buy the head and outfit. It may not be in their licensing agreement though. Whoever's making Capt Action may have a problem with it. I am still happy I purchased them and have preordered series 2, 3 and Titans from my lcbs. They were very reasonable with their pricing and not any more than I would have paid after s&h from Figures. I like to give them business when I can.

Comment

• Wasimhosen
                                Veteran Member
                                • Apr 23, 2011

Got the replacement body yesterday. I think that will be staying in storage because those arms aren't staying on too long.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎