Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

How are the bodies? are they improved over the old ctvt bodies?

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

>If quality, affordable Megos everyone can buy and enjoy playing with ruin the hobby, then by all means let it be ruined.

That's definitely my attitude, but it seems weird that every other reissue had a sizable number of detractors bemoaning the loss of value for the originals and this one doesn't. Maybe people really CAN'T get too much Batman.

Don C.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Looking closely at FTC's Joker, I can easily see how they've improved their heads, hands, screening & sewing--compare it, for example, to their Dracula.

When Hasbro reissued 12" retro anniversary & AT GI Joes, I was thrilled to build a collection of them, it even spurred me to collect some vintage items. Likewise, Playing Mantis' Captain Action. And Retro-Action aside, Mattel has reissued vintage Barbie & MOTU.

I collected Emce Trek & POTA as well--I don't recall anyone decrying these well-made figures as Mego armageddon. In fact, many here wanted more!

I was unhappy with the quality of CTVT's earlier reissues, they influenced me to collect originals instead. But the sad fact is that Mego isn't here to reissue their own stuff. Even Kenner is gone.

I love vintage Mego, I even use vintage parts for customs when I can. But repro parts & figures actually preserve vintage items for more discriminating/wealthy collectors IMO. Every successful/desired art-form & manufactured product has had imitators--heck, some of those knock-offs are beloved, well-valued, & collected in our community.

Its a fine line for FTC: If these had been shoddy, they would have been criticized as tarnishing Mego's memory. If these are too nice, they are criticized as undercutting the secondary market. Bear in mind, these are authorized reproductions.

Market aside (that's not why I collect, packaged or otherwise), I feel that if well-done repros inspire new collectors, entertain children of all ages , and lead to new characters we fans have always wanted, that's not a bad thing.

I honestly think there's room for all of "us"--isn't that what markets, & the Museum itself, are all about?
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
          Moderation Engineer
          • Aug 14, 2003

Well said. I think many of us would have loved for Marty and Doc to ride back into the fray with the DC license. But that didn't happen, and FTC seems to be making every effort to produce a worthy product. I think it's important to realize that they are transitioning out of the wrestling business. WGH will be their focus going forward, and I think there are even better things to come.

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          Looking closely at FTC's Joker, I can easily see how they've improved their heads, hands, screening & sewing--compare it, for example, to their Dracula.

When Hasbro reissued 12" retro anniversary & AT GI Joes, I was thrilled to build a collection of them, it even spurred me to collect some vintage items. Likewise, Playing Mantis' Captain Action. And Retro-Action aside, Mattel has reissued vintage Barbie & MOTU.

I collected Emce Trek & POTA as well--I don't recall anyone decrying these well-made figures as Mego armageddon. In fact, many here wanted more!

I was unhappy with the quality of CTVT's earlier reissues, they influenced me to collect originals instead. But the sad fact is that Mego isn't here to reissue their own stuff. Even Kenner is gone.

I love vintage Mego, I even use vintage parts for customs when I can. But repro parts & figures actually preserve vintage items for more discriminating/wealthy collectors IMO. Every successful/desired art-form & manufactured product has had imitators--heck, some of those knock-offs are beloved, well-valued, & collected in our community.

Its a fine line for FTC: If these had been shoddy, they would have been criticized as tarnishing Mego's memory. If these are too nice, they are criticized as undercutting the secondary market. Bear in mind, these are authorized reproductions.

Market aside (that's not why I collect, packaged or otherwise), I feel that if well-done repros inspire new collectors, entertain children of all ages , and lead to new characters we fans have always wanted, that's not a bad thing.

I honestly think there's room for all of "us"--isn't that what markets, & the Museum itself, are all about?

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Well, I was a tough sell on these--I honestly was expecting the worst. My past posts have been supportive but guarded. The hopeful part of me was battling the skeptical part, and I am by nature pessimistic.

Plus, I am really picky about details, even with vintage items. I must admit I'm generally pleased & pleasantly surprised--& looking forward to more.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

Oh man, that pic just made my morning! I'm digging the pink car! Batman and Flash corner Joker and Riddler at the toybox! Love it!

Originally posted by Iron Mego
              My daughter and I played with our dudes for well over an hour today.

"Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                One eyed, wonder
                • Dec 17, 2009

I am so happy to hear such positive reviews on this line. FTC/CTVT has a reputation to repair, and one good way to start, is with better doll bodies.
                If these bodies are really a great improvement, it will mean much to the reMego hobby.
                Sticking with 'as close to exact replicas as currently possible' is another great direction. Adding new characters, is another. More interesting is the chance we may one day see alternative versions of these characters. Like Silver-Age Supergirl and purple dress Catwoman.
                I just hope that they don't go the way of 'camouflage-Batman'. Variations, just for the sake of variations, does not do it for me. Variations should be base on popular versions from films, animation and comics. I also dislike the unpopular variation first, so they can sell one to those who have to have the character now and sell another when they release it correctly (i.e. Wind-Blitz Batgirl).
                That said, I wish the best for FTC and their move to the WGSH and TV lines. Thank you FTC.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                  Wake Up Heavy
                  • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                  Oh man, that pic just made my morning! I'm digging the pink car! Batman and Flash corner Joker and Riddler at the toybox! Love it!
                  That car is from the previous incarnation of My Little Pony figures. It's a good size, but the seat is set a little far back. Am really considering getting a Barbie corvette or something like that for the bad guys to tool around in. They really need a colorful vehicle.
                  Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Boywonder0
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 29, 2007

Amen, bro!

Originally posted by PNGwynne

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                      Creature Of The Night
                      • May 14, 2011

Had no intention of buying these...but after seeing these pix (thank you for posting!)...can't wait to find 'em in the wild. It'll be fun to purchase on the spot, right off the rack.

Comment

• raider5gt
                        Museum Tree Cutter
                        • Nov 25, 2007

I hope I can score a set of these,you lot are making me jealous lol,I love Mego's but I also love the 8 inch figure format too.These look cool.

Never stand behind a cow when it sneezes.

Comment

• Byrnes
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 19, 2011

I'm lost. Are there going to be figures outside of the Batman series from this line?
                          WWW.OG13.com - GI Joe, Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Star Trek, toys and more

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

Yes - they have the DC license, not just Batman

Comment

• Byrnes
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 19, 2011

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                              Yes - they have the DC license, not just Batman

Ah, did they just figure these were the strongest of the bunch to start with? I think I remember seeing through series 3 and they are all Batman related so that's what was throwing me off. Thanks for the quick response and info.
                              WWW.OG13.com - GI Joe, Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Star Trek, toys and more

Comment

• houseofdracula
                                Veteran Member
                                • Nov 11, 2011

My guess is that they at least plan on doing these figures.

The House of Dracula - Monster Model Museum.
                                https://www.facebook.com/houseofdracula

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎