X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uni
    Museum Patron
    • Sep 7, 2008

So...

Is FTC going to have these ready to ship this year? Isn't someone from FTC on this forum?

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

They're due mid-November and should be shipping right away.
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Uni
        Museum Patron
        • Sep 7, 2008

Originally posted by Brown Bear
        They're due mid-November and should be shipping right away.
        I know this, and appreciate your answer. Please know that I am not trying to be cynical, but I'm very skeptical of this. Entertainment Earth says "December 2013" and FTC hasn't updated their page in weeks.

For the folks who were expecting them in August, 2013 (and were disappointed with the initial product pics) I feel like keeping us updated would help generate (keep?) some good will.
        Last edited by Uni; Oct 31, '13, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
          I would argue that part of the reasons that toy licenses are big bucks now is due to the success of Mego and Kenner in the 1970s. Movie licenses were considered a gamble prior the Apes and Star Wars explosions. I've also heard that the merchandising royalties were keeping DC afloat at one point.
          I'm assuming that ALL that started to go down as far as merch in the 70's helped grease the wheels of the start of comicbooks only being the core of what was once the end-all for the only notable income the superhero could make save a few TV shows. Then ya got Superman: The Movie leading up to today with the decline of print media...

I'm ALSO assuming that comicbooks themselves are relatively useless to DC/Marvel as far as direct profit, but serve ancillary purposes which ya gotta wonder how long will be utilized despite the irony of them disappearing... in physical form anyways.
          Originally posted by MIB41rewrittensatirebyhuedell
          FTC! We do it all, from manufacturing, to selling right from our own door! What this "hands-on" approach enables us to do with our licensed property toy lines is inconsequential! Yes, our online prices are markedly inconsistent, and that even includes those wacky shipping prices that keep our customers guessing! Our target audience focus is "the adult vintage-loving collector", and gee, do we milk THAT for all it's worth! We get 'em first with the highly irresistible nostalgia of our toys' vintage design, then we part out our action figures for our vintage vulture buyers, because our proven business model shows we can make a larger profit! "Big profit margin squeezed from a small, ever-changing group of open-minded, open-walleted collectors". In the end isn't that what it's all about? But that's not all! Consumer confidence and loyalty? We make sure that neither is an issue! Our customer service is known to be some of the worst! And our multiple retail prices average out to some of the highest in today's collector market for similar items! Our company philosophy: If the customer isn't happy, we're not gonna know about it! FTC: Collect 'em all... they'll be released eventually... but if they aren't... WHO CARES!
          With apologies, your post was so rife with stuff MIB, I couldn't resist penning a promo for those guys
          Last edited by huedell; Nov 1, '13, 12:54 PM.
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by huedell
            With apologies, your post was so rife with stuff MIB, I couldn't resist penning a promo for those guys

If I had to give a flip response to my feelings on FTC, that would pretty well sum it up right there. Well done. As a company that is trying to grow this marketplace, I can respect the effort by definition. But when it comes to the manner in which they go about getting there, I have to question some of their practices as a consumer. And Brian certainly makes a very strong statement regarding the licensing costs that play havoc on pricing today versus the 60's and 70's. That can not be overlooked. I just wish FTC had a more thoughtful presence in how they did business. The retro action figure business is a relatively small industry in comparison to production giants like Mattel that service a much broader demographic. So FTC's stand-offish posture certainly puts a spotlight on how they bring product to the consumer and makes them a bigger target for industry practices since we don't have a face to put on this company. And I still have a ton of questions about how they can use a manufactured item made 40 years ago and say that is their "prototype" for new product coming to market.

And since we're on the subject of business practices, I wanted to bring another example to light that was so cut throat, it made me shake my head at it's blatant "screw you" approach. The KISS bass accessory for eight and twelve inch figures. FTC introduced these earlier this year and were an immediate success, mostly due to the fact they had neglected to offer a printed instrument as part of their packaging like Mego did in the 70's. Once these sold out the demand became apparent to FTC, so what did they do after they replenished their stock? They added them to figures they could no longer sell as a "deluxe edition". Sad... So FTC absolutely relishes the idea of trying to figure out what the customer wants and then... stick it to them. Here's the link below...

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by MIB41
              If I had to give a flip response to my feelings on FTC, that would pretty well sum it up right there. Well done. As a company that is trying to grow this marketplace, I can respect the effort by definition. But when it comes to the manner in which they go about getting there, I have to question some of their practices as a consumer. And Brian certainly makes a very strong statement regarding the licensing costs that play havoc on pricing today versus the 60's and 70's. That can not be overlooked. I just wish FTC had a more thoughtful presence in how they did business. The retro action figure business is a relatively small industry in comparison to production giants like Mattel that service a much broader demographic. So FTC's stand-offish posture certainly puts a spotlight on how they bring product to the consumer and makes them a bigger target for industry practices since we don't have a face to put on this company. And I still have a ton of questions about how they can use a manufactured item made 40 years ago and say that is their "prototype" for new product coming to market.

And since we're on the subject of business practices, I wanted to bring another example to light that was so cut throat, it made me shake my head at it's blatant "screw you" approach. The KISS bass accessory for eight and twelve inch figures. FTC introduced these earlier this year and were an immediate success, mostly due to the fact they had neglected to offer a printed instrument as part of their packaging like Mego did in the 70's. Once these sold out the demand became apparent to FTC, so what did they do after they replenished their stock? They added them to figures they could no longer sell as a "deluxe edition". Sad... So FTC absolutely relishes the idea of trying to figure out what the customer wants and then... stick it to them. Here's the link below...

http://www.classictvtoys.com/kiss12i...ssguitars.aspx
              Sad AND funny at the same time.

I criticize them a lot, and your points support my criticisms, assumptions and otherwise trepidation about trusting the value of what they offer to the adult collector overall. I don't mind admitting that getting too worked up about this stuff is a waste of time, so I'm just munching my popcorn and watching, and have my wallet considering FTC purchase about a year or so more than now when their toys are on the secondary market, ya know?

Maybe I'd be more worked up about their silly business choices (outside of posting rants on these boards which are just that... musing rants) if I wasn't so financially committed to other toy purchases these days. I love my Mattel (DC superhero, Ghostbusters, MOTUC) and NECA (movie icons) product... and, the apple of my current toy collecting eye: Hasbro's Star Wars 6 inchers.
              Last edited by huedell; Nov 1, '13, 1:08 PM.
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• timb
                Will Draw for Toys
                • May 1, 2009

Originally posted by MIB41

http://www.classictvtoys.com/kiss12i...ssguitars.aspx

I agree heartily. (See what I underlined) For as much stuff as they intend to put out, and are anticipating people to buy, they might consider getting to know (and making themselves known) to their base a bit more. Compare their mysterious behind the scenes workings to the friendly "hey let me tell you about our new product on this podcast" "Bif Bang Pows" and "Cast-a-Way Toys" companies of the industry. I would much rather buy from the BBP's and CAWs honestly. That might sound jerky, FTC might be the nicest guys in the world, but that is the vibe I get from FTC.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                  Persistent Member
                  • Apr 18, 2006

FTC is originally from my area, and I know many people who have done business with the owner going back to when he sold little more than replacement decals and knee pins. I personally have never met him, bet from what I've been told by those that have, I would say that he may just not have that outgoing type personality which is needed to generate a really good pr presence for the company. Not saying he is a bad guy or anything, just not the type person who is good at that type of thing, it does take a certain flair to be the public face of a business.

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Good points Spyweb007, Timb, and Huedell. The biggest thing that pushes my buttons is the business side of the hobby. If I'm being completely objective, the collecting industry is a little bit like... how do I say this... the ministry of a person's belief system. In collecting it's nostalgia driven, so there's allot of impulsive behavior played out to capture that feeling of yesteryear. And right now, more than ever, we have companies springing up all over trying to grab licenses and essentially grow this marketplace to get those dollars. Without question, it's an exciting time to be a part of our generation and desire this kind of product. It's even more exciting when you can say you've met some of these people and champion their cause. Very unique. But like any market that has customers with money to throw out for the asking, you're going to get some bad hustles in that mix. It's human nature. So my eyes are always wide open to people essentially giving customers a shake down to take advantage of their nostalgic "needs". And while that watchdog mentality does not always meet well with some who want a more celebratory chant, I feel it's a useful tool to at least make people aware if a company strays into questionable practices. Like anything, people can pick and choose what they wish to read and make their own assessments. But I've always found you get the best results, when you look at something from one more than one side.
                    Last edited by MIB41; Nov 1, '13, 2:28 PM.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                      Still Old School
                      • Feb 14, 2008

Sorry guys but I find most of these comments to be pointless. I agree that Jason, Paul and Dave are all great guys who I love to support, but at the end of the day, if FTC puts out a product that I like and the price/quality are to my liking, I’m going to buy it. I’m not going to avoid it because there isn’t a “face” of FTC or because of most of the other points mentioned above. This business boils down to simple economics.

Bad mouthing FTC for the way they run their business is one thing, but not buying their product because of it is another. I cannot stand the sight of Floyd Mayweather and think he’s an overrated, loud mouth piece of trash, but I STILL watch him fight because I love the sport. Mike Tyson isn’t what I’d call a nice guy, but who hasn’t paid to see him fight? I’m buying toys, not inviting FTC’s employees to Thanksgiving dinner.

FTC is running a business and “how” they run their business is their choice. If you choose NOT to buy their product because of it, then don’t. I personally have read LOTS of negatively themed threads over the years as well as sour grapes for the DC license, but I have also ordered from them for almost a decade and have never had one issue. That includes communication.

Constructive feedback is great and hopefully FTC learns from it. From the quality of the KISS line, it seems they have. Throwing a company under the bus is something I will never support. Especially when they are bringing to life so many awesome mego dreams that I thought I’d never see.
                      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

Sorry guys but I find most of these comments to be pointless. I agree that Jason, Paul and Dave are all great guys who I love to support, but at the end of the day, if FTC puts out a product that I like and the price/quality are to my liking, I’m going to buy it. I’m not going to avoid it because there isn’t a “face” of FTC or because of most of the other points mentioned above. This business boils down to simple economics.
                        Got that right. I'm not a gazillionaire, so "aforementioned scenario" plus "economics" means no FTC purchases at present from me.

Bad mouthing FTC for the way they run their business is one thing, but not buying their product because of it is another. I cannot stand the sight of Floyd Mayweather and think he’s an overrated, loud mouth piece of trash, but I STILL watch him fight because I love the sport. Mike Tyson isn’t what I’d call a nice guy, but who hasn’t paid to see him fight? I’m buying toys, not inviting FTC’s employees to Thanksgiving dinner.
                        That's cool, because if you DID invite them, it's likely they'd show up 3 hours late and sell you a bottle of your most cherished vintage wine to go w/dinner... glass by glass if they had to.

Seriously though, I'd love to buy some of their KISS product, and some of their WGSH product... those are right up my alley... but so are other toylines' product, so I'll skip "Tyson" and "Mayweather" let others go see those fights, and catch 'em on tape at a later date... in other words: Maybe I'll grab up some of these FTC figures on the secondary market instead of purchasing from a corporation that I put on a lower rung than others that're selling product right now.

FTC is running a business and “how” they run their business is their choice. If you choose NOT to buy their product because of it, then don’t.
                        I won't.

And, as far as how they run their company being their choice... is it really necessary for me to reiterate that it's unreasonable to expect dissatisfied customers and target audience customers NOT to criticize those guys. You even mentioned "constructive criticism" yourself. Who's to say what constitutes such criticism? No death threats or name calling here... just commentary on what I see as unwise business decisions by a company I'd be a lot more supportive of if they were a lot more supportive of me and "my kind".

Constructive feedback is great and hopefully FTC learns from it. From the quality of the KISS line, it seems they have. Throwing a company under the bus is something I will never support. Especially when they are bringing to life so many awesome mego dreams that I thought I’d never see.
                        And I never thought that when I actually saw them, I'd be so offput by the company that I'd deprioritize them the way I have. Heck, I bought 6 of the retroaction Mattel figures, and they weren't even "Mego clones" in their construction.

I know that I'M not "throwing them under the bus" (even if one'd disagree with me). I'm just saying why they've disappointed me in a public forum so that maybe this kind of feedback is recognized as either unique just to me (and, as a result, not an issue), or a major fault with FTC and possible to address for everyone's sake... OR something that falls somewhere inbetween and may or may not be dealt with... hey, it's probably something like that last one, and, as you can see, it's a long list that both MIB and myself have been kicking around here, so it's likely FTC may catch on to one or two of those criticisms over time (Apparently your KISS observation supports that).

I apologize if these kind of posts rub you the wrong way, but I can't support the "What I've always wanted." attitude without saying anything, when the actual scenario is "What I've always wanted" arriving with "What I never expected to have to *give* in return to *get* it." as an addendum
                        Last edited by huedell; Nov 2, '13, 5:46 AM.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

This is nothing more than consumer awareness. If you can get gas down the street for .40 cents less by driving an extra half mile, why wouldn't you? Just because we're talking about action figures doesn't change that equation. This idea that companies can "do what they want" is exactly the kind of thinking that keeps prices going up. As a consumer, if you only measure the value of something according to whether you "feel" it in your pocket, then you're sending a message to both the seller and the industry to test the ceiling of those prices. They're in it for as much profit as they can get. No one cares how the product makes you feel as long as you dutifully hand over the cash. That's why you see the collector market so impulse driven and why companies, like FTC, CLEARLY take advantage of those who have no tolerance to reject the higher price tag. So promoting the companies that exercise best industry practices is no more a wasted effort than revealing companies that manipulate price points and shipping costs is a cheap shot or throwing them "under the bus". How absurd to even suggest that. And how companies conduct their business is absolutely EVERYONE'S business. And those who believe different are simply handing over permission for companies to do the thinking for them...while they pick their pockets.
                          Last edited by MIB41; Nov 2, '13, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

what its going to come down to for me is if the 66 line looks great and they really have changed the bodies. If those two things happen I will be buying them, if they drop the ball with the line like BBP did with 6MDM I will pass.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Bat
                              Batman Fanatic
                              • Jul 14, 2002

Yeah...what he said!
                              sigpic

Comment

• noelani72
                                27inaleon
                                • Jun 25, 2002

this comment of mine is probably the little kid in me whining, but it is November now....would kinda like to hear a solid release date.
                                This is the very reason I do not do pre-orders.
                                Got all excited with the pics released earlier this year...August came and went; if November does too, it chisels away at that initial interest and makes these less important to me.
                                Pre-orders for 3 waves have been available for a while now..at this rate, all three could land at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎