X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by timb
    I'm not being a nay-sayer. I'm curious how well this line will sell though. Mattel couldn't sustain their line - partly because of their crappy body problems.
    However I wonder how strong the demographic is for these figures. Seems like the collector crowd is a somewhat smaller demographic > narrow that down to primarily nostalgic Mego fans which is an even smaller demographic aged 35 and over > narrow that down to Mego collectors who may or may not buy the figures because they may have the originals.

DO you think this will be a lucrative endeavor for these guys in the end? Again, not being a poo-pooer SOunds like they did pretty good with KISS, so maybe I'm getting it wrong.
    THen again they have a whole DC license, so DC will likely be promoting them as well which can't hurt.

Thoughts?
    I think the line will be fairly successful because the company will be able to re-purpose the bodies they don't sell and put new heads on them for future lines. And like they do with all surplus, they'll sell off the remaining parts for customs which services lots of folks waiting for the leftovers. So ultimately I think they'll sell the majority of what they manufacture in one form or another and profit nicely from it.

Comment

• Vintage Quixotic
      • Feb 25, 2013

I'm not being a nay-sayer. I'm curious how well this line will sell though. Mattel couldn't sustain their line - partly because of their crappy body problems.
      However I wonder how strong the demographic is for these figures. Seems like the collector crowd is a somewhat smaller demographic > narrow that down to primarily nostalgic Mego fans which is an even smaller demographic aged 35 and over > narrow that down to Mego collectors who may or may not buy the figures because they may have the originals.

DO you think this will be a lucrative endeavor for these guys in the end? Again, not being a poo-pooer SOunds like they did pretty good with KISS, so maybe I'm getting it wrong.
      THen again they have a whole DC license, so DC will likely be promoting them as well which can't hurt.

Thoughts?
      As far as demographic, I think it's a strong one. The appeal is there. When I happened on the Wave I ad here on Mego Museum I got super-excited and bought them immediately from Entertainment Earth. They look so good, I'm curious if the pics they used are actual mego's - we shall see... but I guess they bought only the BatMan license, and that's where they lose me. Wave 2 doesn't excite me and I could care less about an Alfred figure. Gimmie the super heroes and then start dishing out the obscurities.
      They keep making these mego-likes, so the demographic must be there. But i did wonder about lines like Happy Days and Space:1999 when they re-did them. An original Fonzie is still pretty easy to get... I do scratch my head on some of the lines offered...

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

They didn't know they were getting the full DC license until they started to announce the Batman stuff.

Comment

• boynightwing
          That Carl Guy
          • Apr 24, 2002

I'm in for Bruce and Dick. I don't have and can't afford originals. I'm also looking to get the Riddler. Maybe other ones but I'll see.

Comment

• ScottA
            Original Member
            • Jun 25, 2001

I will probably get them all just like I did all the Mattel figures. If it helps sell them and helps get to figures Mego never made like Alfred then I feel it's a win-win for me.
            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

This might be a dumb question so forgive me if it is. Alot of the collectors on the boards already have the original Megos Figures (Batman Robin Catwoman, etc.) Figures Toy co. is reproducing.

What is the benefit of buying the repros?
              The big draw for me at least is that I'll be able to actually play with these ones without fear of breaking my expensive originals.

Comment

• Timothy2251
                Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                • Mar 15, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
                The big draw for me at least is that I'll be able to actually play with these ones without fear of breaking my expensive originals.
                Pretty much this. These new versions you can give to your kids to play with, use 'em to fill holes (permanently or temporarily) in your own Mego collections, give 'em as gifts to your favorite Batfan, etc. All while keeping your original Mego Batman stuff safe under glass or on display.

Alfred is a neat bonus figure that I'll absolutely pick up when released.
                "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Timothy2251
                  Pretty much this. These new versions you can give to your kids to play with, use 'em to fill holes (permanently or temporarily) in your own Mego collections, give 'em as gifts to your favorite Batfan, etc. All while keeping your original Mego Batman stuff safe under glass or on display.

Alfred is a neat bonus figure that I'll absolutely pick up when released.
                  That was well said. I think that sums it up nicely.

Comment

• Relic
                    Banned
                    • Jun 24, 2012

Just out of curiosity, if you collect the new Megos how do you know the bodies are no good. A real collector would never open the pakaging.

Comment

• jimsmegos
                      Mego Dork
                      • Nov 9, 2008

Originally posted by Relic
                      Just out of curiosity, if you collect the new Megos how do you know the bodies are no good. A real collector would never open the pakaging.
                      Dude. Really? I'm a loose collector. Does that make me less than the MOC / MIB type?

Comment

• GoldBlade6
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by jimsmegos
                        Dude. Really? I'm a loose collector. Does that make me less than the MOC / MIB type?
                        Yeah, and not to add fuel to a fire, but wouldn't a real collector know about the line he is collecting? Like, quality, how the figure works, what it's like, etc.? Real collectors don't just blindly throw a packaged toy into a box without a full understanding of that toy. I think any real collector - loose or MOC/MIB - would know about what he's collecting - including whether the bodies are good or bad.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                          Still Old School
                          • Feb 14, 2008

For the record, the bodies are Not the current stock of CTVT bodies. These are brand new durable replicas of the original mego body. The exact size.
                          Based on the Kiss bodies, I'm not concerned about the quality at all.
                          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
                            Career Member
                            • Jul 30, 2012

I've always preferred the RC Batman and RM Robin over the later versions. Then again, the very first action figure I recieved happened to be a RC Batman on my 7th birthday. I'll probably be holding out for those figures. I missed out on the original 1974 Wards secret ID figures, so these new ones are a must. Would be great to see a Barbara Gordon figure get produced.

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
                              Career Member
                              • Jul 30, 2012

A true collector is more concerned about the quality of the product, not just the packaging. Never saw the point in collecting action figures/toys without opening them up. That's just like claiming to be a comic book enthusiast and not bothering to read a single comic. Just buying, boarding, and bagging them isn't enough. Collecting anything should be about the thrill of the hunt, not leaving the stuff packaged and hoping to get top dollar for them in a few years. If that's why you're in it, than you're in the wrong hobby.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                                Hi Ernie!!!
                                • Feb 15, 2004

I set my toys free, guess I'm not a "real collector".
                                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎