Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

It's definitely cool, but like everything Sideshow puts out these days, ridiculously overpriced. That's a $250-300 piece max.

Consider that at 1500 units if it was $300 that's almost half a million dollars...minus whatever they paid the sculptor, and their dirt cheap overseas production. It basically has a monochromatic paint scheme.

There is simply no justification for the $600 price tag.
    Last edited by enyawd72; May 3, '16, 5:21 AM.

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
      You chose wisely. Now give all your credit cards to someone for safe keeping, so you don't go overboard...

I don't have or use credit cards...I have a bank debit card...

Awesome figure...can't wait to get it...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
        It's definitely cool, but like everything Sideshow puts out these days, ridiculously overpriced. That's a $250-300 piece max.

Consider that at 1500 units if it was $300 that's almost half a million dollars...minus whatever they paid the sculptor, and their dirt cheap overseas production. It basically has a monochromatic paint scheme.

There is simply no justification for the $600 price tag.
        I didn't really want to debate you here about this...but raining on my parade ( ) about buying such a high priced item, that I think it's worth it, and you don't, well, it was not really necessary, it's like beating on a dead horse. Sort of a moot point now. I committed to buying this figure...and that's that.

What you said it's probably true, but that applies to just about all mass produced collectibles. Unless it's an original one of a kind item. The rest are on the same boat as this Sideshow maquette. You can start with Megos themselves. To most of us here, they are awesome and sought after...with some figures being ultra expensive, worth thousands. To others, they are nothing but frivolous plastic junk. Made the same way, mass produced, assembled overseas, etc...

I have a personal bittersweet connection to Alien, which involves my later father. I'm sure you have similar connections. The memories of him taking me to the theater back in the day...watching such a mesmerizing film, rivaling Star Wars...memories of dad and I eating popcorn, seeing him watch the movie like a giddy teenager, those are gone forever physically...but memories linger forever. This piece brings back those memories. I have close connections to comic book superhero...and I adore Back to the Future, but my dad was not into either of those. His favorite sci-fi movies were Alien, Blade Runner, and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

So my point...whether the Space Jockey is worth $650 or $250...it's pretty much irrelevant to me...the way I relate to the piece trumps the monetary value...in spades.

Besides, Sideshow figures usually have high resale value...if one day, for some reason, I need the money...I would be able to sell it easily at my asking price in the future...and even for more...

Ther was another mass produced Space Jockey figure, the very cool Palisades Space Jockey...

It's a really nice figure, it's an older item...but has held its priced pretty nicely over the years...not as large or detailed as the Sideshow one, but nice nevertheless. Might look to get that one down the line...but my first priority was the Sideshow Space Jockey.

Current Sideshow Alien Queen eBay auction...has nicely kept up in value...

Not bad for a figure that Sideshow sold not too long ago sold for $400...

And you better believe I'm getting this bad boy soon too...

Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion, and I sort of agree with some aspects of your post...but all is relative.

At least you think the Space Jockey is cool...I'm at least glad for that...

Different strokes for different folks...

Last edited by Hector; May 3, '16, 4:19 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

The now defunct Palisades made some great collectible oriented figures...have my eyes on its Alien Queen...which is just as impressive as the Sideshow one, only cheaper, at least at this point so far...

sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
            Nobody digs this?
            Not trying to rain on your parade Hector...you asked a question, and I answered it. That is all. I believe it's overpriced, BUT if it's worth it to you then that's all that matters. No harm intended. And you'll notice I wasn't calling out your specific piece...I said I think all Sideshow's stuff is overpriced these days.

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

No problem, the only reason I went on a mini-benevolent rant is because you posted AFTER I had bought the item, that's all, lol...

You did call it cool, so I'm fine with that...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

That Sideshow Alien Queen auction just ended at $833...

That right there tells you that although Sideshow is indeed pricey, it's certainly not a waste of money...in fact...a lot of their stuff seems to appreciate over time.

I won't sell my Space Jockey when I'm old regardless...I'll probably be cremated with it...

sigpic

Comment

• rche
                  channeling Bob Wills
                  • Mar 26, 2008

I have a short list of not-for-sales. On it is the sideshow Burns replica of Kong's armature. It was pricey when I got it, but it is more pricey now.

I used to have it displayed in a cabinet at the side of my workspace, the opposite side was the Hot Toys Power Loader, oddly enough.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

There is so much stuff out there, simple figures going for $100 and more, that you might as well pick something that's more high-end, has better quality, and has a special meaning to you.
                    Sometimes we buy a whole pile of "cheaper" items, and when you add them up you say to yourself: "hey, I could have bought one really special item for that amount."
                    I myself might just sell the whole lot, buy a lifesize C3PO and R2D2 and Robby the Robot, and be totally content with those.
                    As a collector, I went for "volume" for so many years. In retrospect, I wish I had gone for just a handful of very specific collectibles.

I do agree that collectibles these days are overpriced, they ALL are, but the thing is: if you're going to hold your breath for the day that you get a Hot Toys for $50, you're going to need CPR...Until we all stop buying collectibles and give a signal to the companies they're overpricing, those prices are here to stay.
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Amen, my brother, amen ^^^^^^
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by rche
                        I have a short list of not-for-sales. On it is the sideshow Burns replica of Kong's armature. It was pricey when I got it, but it is more pricey now.

I used to have it displayed in a cabinet at the side of my workspace, the opposite side was the Hot Toys Power Loader, oddly enough.

Holy smokes! You have the Sideshow Kong Armature? That's one beautiful piece...friggin awesome, expensive as heck too...

PICTURES!!!

One of those Hot Toys Aliens Power Loaders will be mine some day, after I pay off all the things I'm buying now, all in due time...

sigpic

Comment

• rche
                          channeling Bob Wills
                          • Mar 26, 2008

I posted pics up of it ages ago, but they were probably dropped in the purge when the forum updated a couple of years back. I'll see if I can dig them out of my old hard drive. Unfortunately Kong has been packed since I moved and I have yet to set up a display area in my current digs.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Ok, cool, understood...

sigpic

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                              Invincible Ironing Man
                              • Feb 28, 2008

Yeah, Kong's armature must be an exceptional piece. That's like our...ancestry. That's where a whole "genre" really got started.
                              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• J.B.
                                Guild Navigator
                                • Jun 23, 2010

Don't mean to hijack your post Hector, but I think you'll get a kick from this. I didn't know that Sideshow had put out the Burns armature. When I started googling it, I came across this post about a Kong fan that had constructed an armature of his own using Burns' as a guide. He started making/selling his own Stop Motion Kongs that look amazing. Even Bob Burns chimes in on the thread.

Stop Motion Kong

Pic of Kong next to Burns armature:

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎