X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

Originally posted by MIB41
    We live in a tri-level, so our upper and lower family rooms get decorated for Christmas. But since the upper family room is the main entry, that's where I like to put the Rankin/Bass display.

Here's a closer look at the castle. Instead of displaying the exterior, we found it more entertaining to turn it around and display characters on the interior.

Santa and his reindeer always hover over top.

On the way up to the bedrooms one of the bigger, plush Rudolphs greet the kids.

And a giant Charlie in the box sits over one of the entrances into the Kitchen.

Very cool. Your setup looks great. I love pulling these figures out each year.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Thanks! And thanks to everyone who has commented. I greatly appreciate that. You know from the time these hit so many years ago, I knew at that moment this was a unique event. I first saw them at one of the first hyper-marts around Louisville and that was Biggs. Actually by the time these came out, there was only one in our region and that was in Florence, Ky. I'll never forget walking through those sliding doors and seeing this massive display of Santa playsets, and all of the various figure sets from there. It was just one of those moments you never forget. Who thought after all these years, something like this would ever see the light of day? I never even dared dream it, yet here they were. My eyes got huge and my wife turned to me and said, "You have to have all of this. You know that." I said in a virtual stupor, "Pretty much."

Every year I relive that experience each time I put these out. And the kids, including my grandson now, just love the tradition of putting the Rankin/Bass figures in the castle. I get to be one of those kids when we do it and it's great this can be a family moment and not just my moment. It speaks to all ages and generations and that really makes it worth while. And yep, I keep everything in it's original packaging, so it all goes back in place once it's over. It's a pain, but the way I see it, they stay well preserved and hopefully they will be inherited by my kids or grand kids and continue that tradition long after I'm gone. Great moments.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

That's great Tom. Love both of the displays. We have the Santa castle up, and some Rudolph and Santa Claus is Coming to Town ornaments around it. My daughter now plays with the action figures my son played with, including several Rudolph, Santas, and Frosty. Every year they beg and beg to get the huge tote full of them out.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

I love these pics. I have some but not all the R/B figures. I need to pull some out this year.
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎