Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Count Creepyhead
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jul 28, 2007

good riddance. Other than the discount bins of crap they got from other stores, all they had was overpriced toys from 3 years ago in beat up packages.

I tried to buy a Jakks Frankenstein in what I'd barley even consider a box in the state it was in. anyways when i asked the lady if I could get a discount since it was practically loose and had been on the shelf since 2003, she said no.

6 months later it's still sitting there at full price...along with the King Kong toys that have been clearance for 2 years at the same price.

I use to buy toys there all the time as a kid, especially G.I. Joe, but in the last 10 years..ever since they stopped carrying models, they have sucked eggs.

Comment

• Goblin19
      Talkative Member
      • May 2, 2002

They disappeared from malls a couple of years ago around here, but we still have 2 outlets. I've been waiting for them to go, too.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
        OH JES!!
        • Jul 21, 2005

Glad they are going out of The Toy Biz they are an embarrassment I knew a few people who worked there and they got horrible pay...Everywhere I wenttheir stores were always a mess....Only good thing about them is you could find discounted toys....Glad they will be Gone can't wait till toys r us bites too.....They are just as Horrible in Running their biz...

I Miss Mom and Pop toy stores......I actually have one in my Neighborhood run by two brothers and i give them all lot of my business.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
          valar morghulis
          • Mar 8, 2005

While it wouldn't surprise me if KB was planning to close more stores, I can't find any indication of an announcement anywhere on the news or business wires. Just to be clear, by "announced", you mean the employees at your local KB told you so?

The only story coming out of KB in the past week was the re-hiring of a former executive:

Berkshire Eagle Online - KB taps former executive

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

I don't know man seems like alot of people would'nt care if it closed down,but it's another toy store gone.I know when Lionel was closing down I was like ehh w/e we still got KB and Toys R us but after it's gone you kind of miss it.I remember all the great deals Lionel use to have.I would definitely miss KB if it were gone
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• davidb
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 9, 2007

I know that where I am, we've never had a TRU that's less than an hour away. KB, while it's definitely not what it used to be, is still another toy store, and still has some things (TNA wrestling figures, to name one) that I can't find anywhere else.

When I was a kid, we had a local store called the Warehouse of Toys. I still remember dreaming about being able to go in the building and discover some unopened stock after they'd closed down.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

I've got nothing against KBs. Back in the day,they were the place to go if you needed an exclusive you couldn't normally get a hold of.

Comment

• LOU
                  Museum FIN-atic
                  • Nov 20, 2003

I've worked for K-B since 1997, part-time for the last 3 years, and I can confirm for you as fact that some stores are indeed closing. The reason there is no public announcement yet is because the info is supposed to be "inside confidential" at this time...of course you know that never happens. So bascially, right now only employees have been informed. There is indeed speculation that they will all be closed at some point next year but no formal announcement as such has been made. My guess is they are using this upcoming Holiday season to rake in some final cash in their remaining stores before they go. In terms of messy stores, in this area Walmart's toy department is disgraceful. A complete mess usually; so bad that you can't even tell what goes where anymore. I'm finding my taste for new toys is waning other than the JLU line anyway.
                  As with many of us modern toy collectors, I think we are really trying and recapture those wonderful days in the 70's buying our Megos...but the toy industry is so far away from the Mego era now that it's mostly over-produced junk we're shuffling through. So I've decided to focus on the real deal, vintage 70's & early 80's stuff, and am slowly selling off my newer stuff that I now realize I never really liked all that much to begin with. I also find that obtaining a new Mego is just as great now as when I was a kid, but the new toys never really fulfilled my craving the same way. Sure fishing through the pegs nowadays looking for that one figure you need is great fun; just like when I was a kid; but once I find it and buy it, the joy was gone...much unlike Mego Toys which were always cherished.
                  A sad day indeed for "toy stores" though as I fear they will all soon be completely a memory. Hey, we always have Plaid Stallions' toy store pics though!

Comment

• toys2cool
                    Ultimate Mego Warrior
                    • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by LOU
                    I've worked for K-B since 1997, part-time for the last 3 years, and I can confirm for you as fact that some stores are indeed closing. The reason there is no public announcement yet is because the info is supposed to be "inside confidential" at this time...of course you know that never happens. So bascially, right now only employees have been informed. There is indeed speculation that they will all be closed at some point next year but no formal announcement as such has been made. My guess is they are using this upcoming Holiday season to rake in some final cash in their remaining stores before they go. In terms of messy stores, in this area Walmart's toy department is disgraceful. A complete mess usually; so bad that you can't even tell what goes where anymore. I'm finding my taste for new toys is waning other than the JLU line anyway.
                    As with many of us modern toy collectors, I think we are really trying and recapture those wonderful days in the 70's buying our Megos...but the toy industry is so far away from the Mego era now that it's mostly over-produced junk we're shuffling through. So I've decided to focus on the real deal, vintage 70's & early 80's stuff, and am slowly selling off my newer stuff that I now realize I never really liked all that much to begin with. I also find that obtaining a new Mego is just as great now as when I was a kid, but the new toys never really fulfilled my craving the same way. Sure fishing through the pegs nowadays looking for that one figure you need is great fun; just like when I was a kid; but once I find it and buy it, the joy was gone...much unlike Mego Toys which were always cherished.
                    A sad day indeed for "toy stores" though as I fear they will all soon be completely a memory. Hey, we always have Plaid Stallions' toy store pics though!
                    LOL! well Lou you've just described every wal-mart toy section I've ever been to
                    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• AcroRay
                      Persistent Member
                      • Apr 17, 2005

I'm a bit disappointed to hear it. My local Kay Bee has always been a treasure-trove of rarer pieces and test market items - like the Godzilla Creation vinyl figures. With them potentially gone, the only remaining options will be K-Mart, Target and WalMart and there will be one less of the few reasons I'd have to visit my local mall.
                      Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
                      AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
                      The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
                      Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                        valar morghulis
                        • Mar 8, 2005

I dug up this story from end of August:

KB Toys plans store closures - 8/31/2007 9:34:00 AM - Playthings

Which mentions about 30 stores will be closing... however, if you clik on the interesting feedback comments alongside the story, it seems there will be a lot more than 30, which fits in with what LOU and others have said here.

I've collected a couple modern toylines in the past 10 yrs, but I haven't recently, and I don't foresee myself doing so in the future. But I'll still be sad to see KB go, if indeed they do. If for nothing else than it gives me a place to walk around in for a bit while my better half is in the dressing room somewhere....

Comment

• LOU
                          Museum FIN-atic
                          • Nov 20, 2003

Yes Spock, I think those 30 stores already closed. I do know there will be even more as you suggest. At this point it won't be until after the Holidays I am told. Only time will tell but that's what I am getting from some connections at the home office in Pittsfield.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                            valar morghulis
                            • Mar 8, 2005

Yup. 150 more at least..

KBs store closings multiply - 10/31/2007 12:17:00 PM - Playthings

Comment

• batmanmc
                              mego batman collector
                              • Jun 22, 2004

this is bd. im not happy. but what can you do. jut try to support them. mike

Comment

• tmthor
                                God of Knock-offs
                                • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by Histrionic Spock
                                I just heard that the count is at 157 now

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎