X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

Restoring my Shogun Warriors Mazinga.

So, one of the toy goals I set for myself was to restore my Shogun Warriors by years end.

My Raydeen is pretty much done, save for a restickering...and I can use a couple more chest missiles for him.

Godzilla needed a fist, and still needs a screw for one of his feet (if anyone has one spare, I'm in the market). I found him a fist over the summer.

So that leaves Mazinga. Who needed the most by far. I'm readying an order from Shogun Plastics, and come payday I'll be buying the parts I need (Brain condor, swords, missiles).

I need to repair the rocket fist, which has a crack, which is typical for these toys.

Does anybody recommend a good place for stickers? I need knee stickers for Mazinga, and will need a few for Raydeen.

Here he is in "As-Found" condition. I bought him from a local antique store for $25. He did have the missile fist, but it still has a crack in it.

And here he is after being cleaned up a little. A while back I was looking him over to see what would need to be done to restore him, and discovered one of his original swords was stuck in his leg. Sadly, the handle is missing, but I still keep it as it was an original part.

And here he is today with a full set of repro missiles, resin brain condor, and repro swords courtesy of Shogun Plastics! I have a set of knee decals coming, and I'll call it done until I'm ready to fix/repair the missile fist.

And now it's Raydeen's turn! Here he is in "as found" condition. Raydeen had a broken firing pin, and was missing most of his stickers. But overall, needed very little. A quick order from Shogun Plastics and I had a working firing pin, and now the stickers have arrived!

Firing pin installed and ready for his new stickers.

And with that, my restoration goal for 2023 is complete.

INVINCIBLE GUARDIANS OF WORLD FREEDOM!
    Last edited by B-Lister; Nov 9, '23, 3:21 AM.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

You should post up some pictures! I love my Shoguns! I'd love to add a Goldrake and Rodan, but alas they have been priced out of my range I'm afraid.

Regarding the stickers, I see listings on eBay regularly, so that might be your best option.
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

I can absolutely take some pics.

Will be updating the first post with progress pics.
      Last edited by B-Lister; Oct 9, '23, 5:48 PM.
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

I get any Shogun stickers that are beyond my skills from Isidro Alba. You can pretty much find him anywhere - Ebay, Pinterest, Facebook.

If you don't have any luck with the rocket fist, Derek had repros factory made. He might be able to sell you just the piece you need to so you can keep as much of your original piece as possible.

Comment

• B-Lister
          Eccentric Weirdo
          • Mar 19, 2010

Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna try a couple tricks first. If that fails, then I'll go the repro route

First trick is plasti weld. If that fails, I'm gonna fiberglas it. If that fails, then I'm gonna buy a repro.

Comment

• drquest
            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
            • Apr 17, 2012

I've had good luck putting original stickers back on, but of course the trick is you have to have the stickers in order to do that.

Is Derek the Shogun Plastics guy? I've never had to buy anything from there, but the stuff looks great.
            Danny(Drquest)
            Captain Action HQ
            Retro shirts and stuff
            More retro shirts
            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• B-Lister
              Eccentric Weirdo
              • Mar 19, 2010

Yup, Derek.

I just put in my order for my parts. Should have them in a week. Still need the stickers for his knees, but he's gonna be looking good real soon.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 27, 2010

I recently got a snap together kit of Reideen and a die cast Combatra V (Combattler V) both in scale with each other at 7 inches. And displayed them with my Shogun Warriors Super 7 Godzilla. The only original Shogun Mattel I still have is Danguard Ace(incomplete/diecast).

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

Updated the first post with photos!

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 15, 2012

It looks like the knee stickers are just one color. Michael’s sells sheets of adhesive vinyl made by Oracal. They run about $2 for a square foot sheet. They have a color very similar to what you need. Might be an option if you are crafty. I’d measure the spot for the sticker and then make a template out of regular paper. Once you get it the right shape, then trace the template onto the back of the adhesive paper.

Comment

• B-Lister
                      Eccentric Weirdo
                      • Mar 19, 2010

Two colors. Red and there's a black outline.

Comment

• B-Lister
                        Eccentric Weirdo
                        • Mar 19, 2010

Last edited by B-Lister; Oct 18, '23, 7:07 AM. Reason: Double post

Comment

• drquest
                          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                          • Apr 17, 2012

Great price on him and it looks great!

This makes me want to pull my Shogun guys out and play(pose) them
                          Danny(Drquest)
                          Captain Action HQ
                          Retro shirts and stuff
                          More retro shirts
                          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• B-Lister
                            Eccentric Weirdo
                            • Mar 19, 2010

I'm excited that this project nears completion.

I might pick one up in Japan if I find one affordably.

Comment

• danadoll
                              Micronaut Nut!
                              • Apr 11, 2005

I had the small metal Great Mazinga as a kid, boy did I love that figure! I also watched the cartoon Tranzor Z on a Boston channel, early in the morning, IIRC (loved the show, but as a kid, couldn’t figure out why he had such a different name than my figure).

I recall seeing the Jumbo figures at Child World in the 70s and thought they were so neat, but my mom wouldn’t get me one. Your Jumbo figure looks in great shape, B-Lister.

Dana
                              Last edited by danadoll; Nov 6, '23, 11:11 AM.
                              "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎