Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

That kinda reminds me of another smell flashback.

A while ago I took a tour of Woods Hole.

The tour bus was clearly an old reconditioned school bus.

The smell of the exhaust when it pulled out sent me back to my school days.

It's weird because I've been in diesel trucks before but the exhaust just didn't do that to me like this bus ...

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

The smell of fresh bill straight from the ATM. Aaah...
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Our new bills don't smell anymore

Must have changed the ink

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

I was just thinking about this the other day... as a kid I loved the smell of the gas station. Gas fumes don't seem to smell as wonderful as they did as a kid. Did the smell change, or is it because I grew up?

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by sprytel
            I was just thinking about this the other day... as a kid I loved the smell of the gas station. Gas fumes don't seem to smell as wonderful as they did as a kid. Did the smell change, or is it because I grew up?
            I think because of modern safety regulations gas stations today are cleaner and safer (including smells)

Along these same lines I remember back in the old days auto repair shops always had a super strong grease smell ... today most smell like roses

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

Oh I like this topic!

My neighbor's swimming pool takes me back to Echo Hill/Camp Henry, the property my dad's job owned that had 2 pools.

I got a Remco Singing Mimi doll from a toy show once, and I swear her hair still had that new doll smell! (and still does!)

Vinyl beach toys remind me of Ben Cooper costumes, and my Barbie Country Camper.

I got some grape flavored Tang from Amazon. When my older brother came to visit, he opened the top of the container to pour himself some and said, "That smell...", I could tell it took him right back to when we were kids.

When I first started teaching pre-school in the 80s, the smell of paste took me right back to my nursery school days.

Fruity Pebbles smells just like Saturday morning.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Figuremod73
                That 80's guy
                • Jul 27, 2011

The smell of the school artclass paint. Strong but pleasant with all the kids working on their pictures.

Comment

• Spawn67
                  Career Member
                  • Aug 14, 2009

My KISS cards are wrapped tightly in a case and smell exactly like they did the day I bought them from the ice cream man in 78-79.

But I do have a story for you...About 3 years ago I was at the swimming pool in my complex. Im sitting there and suddenly someone in one of the houses brought out a huge bag of fresh popcorn. INSTANTLY I was transported back in time to the summers from 1978 to 1988 to the days of the swimming club where we went every day in those summers. They had a popcorn stand at the pool. The smell of chlorine and popcorn was a smell I have not smelled since probably 1988.Im nostalgic for those carefree summers and that smell did it for me. I was at the pool for 10min before I went back home and got misty eyed and called my brother and mom..
                  Thanks for letting me share this story

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 1, 2005

Great topic! I constantly experience flashbacks from certain smells. Certain kinds of plastic and vinyl reminds me of places like Kresge's and K-Mart very clearly. Comics from the '70's and '80's definitely brings back memories too, such a distinct smell! One scent that really stands out in my mind is a vintage ESB Tie-Fighter Pilot figure, it had such a particular almost sweet smell to it. More than anything else, certain scents will instantly take me back in time.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎