X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tothiro
    Kitten Mittens
    • Aug 28, 2008

Hey Chopper, Nice Pants...

Ok so I got a Starsky & Hutch Chopper in the other day, he had Soldier Ape boots on, but luckily I also got a nice POTA lot in and had spare gen boots to swap to him.

Problem is his pants... I had only seen Chopper pictured wearing poly blue pants... never knew if they were cuffed or if they were of the "cornelius/soldier ape/klingon school of design. These appear to be a light twill in dark indigo. They aren't the denim fabric, and they're cut on a diagonal weave. My first inclination is that they were Happy Days Ralph pants, but on checking the galleries I see that he is wearing a poly blend looking fabric. They may or may not be dyed, so my second inclination is that they are Richie slacks, dyed blue. It does seem to follow the weave pattern of the Richie slacks exactly.

So: is there a pant variation? Was Ralph (or for that matter Chopper) ever released with twill indigo pants?
    Bonus Questions: Are the Ralph and Chopper pants identical? Are they similar but near misses? Are Chopper slacks cuffed like Ralph or footy? Etc, etc

Thanks to one and all...
    Last edited by Tothiro; Jul 28, '10, 9:40 AM.
  • kryptosmaster
    Removed.
    • Jun 14, 2008

To the best of my knowledge, Chopper has tights like the apes.
    Wouldn't be surprised to find out there's a variant style, though.
    Rich

Comment

• generic
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 25, 2009

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
      To the best of my knowledge, Chopper has tights like the apes.
      Wouldn't be surprised to find out there's a variant style, though.
      Rich
      I've only owned a few Choppers and don't remember the bottoms of the pants (footies or open foot), but I do know that they were all stretchy tights rather than pants that a regular person would walk around in.

Side Note: I was always surprised that Mego took the effort to make Chopper of mostly original parts. It seemed to me that a Klingon with blue jeans, a Fonzie shirt and soldier ape boots would have been a cheap and nice looking villain. I don't know about a guy in blue tights and an orange & white, soft, furry sweater being all that threatening or worthy of the extra effort.

“Hey Mego, how about worrying less about the bad guy for the Starsky & Hutch line and give us a freaking Lex Luthor?!?!”

(Thank you DC Retro-Action! )
      Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I've never seen a Chopper that wasn't wearing those ill fitting tights.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• steelcouch
          Career Member
          • Feb 11, 2006

I have owned one chopper in my collection. To my knowledge he was wearing tights that are similiar to the ones peter parker wears just differant color. Open foot with the bottoms cropped. Also was wearing ape three toed boots. I have long since traded him off. Otherwise I could show you a pick.

Comment

• rche
            channeling Bob Wills
            • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by generic

Side Note: I was always surprised that Mego took the effort to make Chopper of mostly original parts. It seemed to me that a Klingon with blue jeans, a Fonzie shirt and soldier ape boots would have been a cheap and nice looking villain. I don't know about a guy in blue tights and an orange & white, soft, furry sweater being all that threatening or worthy of the extra effort.

You mean like this? I had this guy sitting with my S&H boys for a long time before putting him back in some Trek duds and selling him.

Comment

• scifiguy94
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 18, 2009

Who's afraid of Chopper? You better be!

Comment

• Tothiro
                Kitten Mittens
                • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by steelcouch
                I have owned one chopper in my collection. To my knowledge he was wearing tights that are similiar to the ones peter parker wears just differant color. Open foot with the bottoms cropped. Also was wearing ape three toed boots. I have long since traded him off. Otherwise I could show you a pick.
                Awesome sauce - thank you sir, that's open foot confirmation enough for me. Have you ever had a Ralph figure for comparison? They seem like they may just be a part re-use to me.

Comment

• rche
                  channeling Bob Wills
                  • Mar 26, 2008

Ok, so I have never had any Happy Days figures (and don't really plan to).
                  but....Ralph is wearing blue hotpants??? That is even weirder than Chopper wearing them.

Comment

• Tothiro
                    Kitten Mittens
                    • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by rche
                    Ok, so I have never had any Happy Days figures (and don't really plan to).
                    but....Ralph is wearing blue hotpants??? That is even weirder than Chopper wearing them.
                    Hmm... The cut looks different when comparing photographs of the PP SI and the Ralph - Ralph's aren't quite "hot pants," more like leisure slacks. I don't know if it's photography, or if PP SI is just a handy mental (but maybe off model? I don't know) comparison considering how unfamiliar territory Happy Days is for many of us... So clarification is requested.

Ralph is here:
                    http://www.megomuseum.com/teevee/happyralph.html

Comment

• rche
                      channeling Bob Wills
                      • Mar 26, 2008

Chops pants are taper cut, as it were. Like the Parkers. They fit inside the General boots. The Ralph pants are not the same kind of cut.

Comment

• generic
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jun 25, 2009

You mean like this? I had this guy sitting with my S&H boys for a long time before putting him back in some Trek duds and selling him.
                        Haha! That's EXACTLY what I mean! Mine had Bo Duke pants, didn't have the jacket and I'd given him an M-16, but other than that, it looks just like mine! Now I'm even more blown away that Mego didn't think to do that!

Comment

• rche
                          channeling Bob Wills
                          • Mar 26, 2008

I used Big Jim pack boots as well. They make for some sharp pimpin' boots for the supa g. Looking at them now, an AJ spy hat would've really capped it off. ... sorry

Comment

• generic
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jun 25, 2009

Originally posted by steelcouch
                            I have owned one chopper in my collection. To my knowledge he was wearing tights that are similiar to the ones peter parker wears just differant color. Open foot with the bottoms cropped.
                            Chops pants are taper cut, as it were. Like the Parkers. They fit inside the General boots...
                            Not mine. I just took his boots off because I had the nagging feeling that they weren't open foot. Here's a photo of my Chopper:

Ralph's pants are much more loose, open at the foot and a slightly different cut.

Comment

• rche
                              channeling Bob Wills
                              • Mar 26, 2008

tights on a thug. Oh yeah - looks good there MC.

Definitely not Ralph pants.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎