X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheXFactor
    Museum Patron
    • Oct 31, 2013

Originally posted by B-Lister
    I have history with Paul. We don't get along. I will not speak to him after what he said to me at Mego Meet several years ago.

But I will not speak ill of him on this forum either.
    I had similar experiences with certain musicians back in my music journalism days, and- just like yourself- I don't speak ill of them publicly. I don't listen to/support them anymore either, but that's a me thing.

I think that "Mego Ambassador" Facebook pages allows anyone who joins the opportunity to give input/make suggestions, and since Mego is obviously not just run by one person that might be a good option for you. Couldn't hurt, right?

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

Yeah. I don't wish him any bad vibes or anything. We just had a bad row, he said some pretty awful things to me, and I just don't care for the guy.

He's free to do his thing, I'm not gonna badmouth him, but I'm also not gonna give him any of my business. If this NuMego thing was just him, I'd have none of it. But I'm not offended that others buy his stuff, and think he's a great guy. I'm sure most of the time he is. But he wasn't to me, and I don't care for him.
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• scott metzger
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by B-Lister
        Some of us aren't into women.

And my point isn't that I'm upset they're doing WGSH (it may come off that way, but I'm just being extreme to emphasize my point), I'm upset that they seem i pnterested ONLY in WGSH.

I said it before that it feels like the goal was to use the other licenses as stepping stones to re-acquire the Marvel and DC licenses, and now that they have them, it certainly reinforces that idea.

They let the Universal and Hammer licenses lapse, they don't seem interested in the Ultraman license (Where's my Ultraman Zero?), and they are trickling out Trek and Apes, but they clearly aren't a priority.

I just don't see how this is a long term strategy. It sometimes feels like they're trying to do a thousand things at once, and other times that they're narrowing their focus to the point that it's alienating fans such as myself.

I'm never gonna get the DC characters I want, so what's the point for me? Same with Marvel.
        From what we've seen so far, I think a lot of it comes down to simple sales. We saw the two much touted Trek aliens, which, yes, I was really looking forward to, cancelled from current assortments because there weren't enough orders to justify making them. Now, I don't know what the bar is as far as what level of orders makes it worth producing a figure, but that does come into play. Ultraman figures still sit in my Walmarts (and these can can check out with no problem, unlike a lot of recent Megos, so that's not the problem). Poin is, the 50th figures sell, apparently even with the Walmart problems. It's not like they haven't tried other stuff, and there should be some 50th love for Trek soon. I'd be surprised if they didn't do the same for Apes with a new movie on the horizon bolstering the brand. But if sellers aren't ordering Game of Thrones figures in enough numbers to justify making them, why would Mego proceed and use resources that could go to things that would sell better? Now the monsters have always seemed to be solid sellers for Mego, but Universal and Hammer are licenses that cost money up front. I'm not sure what the returns were on that investment or how much more Mego thought they could get out of the licenses. THey did some really good stuff that a lot of general monster fans gave positive reviews to, so maybe that was soemthing to try to continue, but, again, I don't know the cost vs returns. THere is a very valid point of going too far with one thing, like certain companies that have had the DC license and interpret that to be "All Batman, all the time" to the exclusion of anything else. That's not a formula for success. But Mego has tried different things, and I'm not sure how well they did, though a lot seem to have sputtered as no further figures were added to the sets. And there is a heck of a lot they can do with the DC 50th line and the Bronze Age (not like McFarlane has shown much interest in doing a lot from that era for DC, so not much competition on the toy aisles), so I can't blame them for putting an emphasis on that at this time. I do hope they continue to add properties or continue some they started (I hope the GI Joe faction someday goes beyond just Snake Eyes and StormShadow), but I also understand the reality of business. The 50th stuff sells, and it has had the biggest buzz around it out of anything Mego has done since its return. THat's where the money is.
        Last edited by scott metzger; Nov 17, '23, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah I forsee a period where it's mainly superheroes and pop culture references for the next little while. Mego is going to make what the retailer chooses. I wish the toy buyer for Wal-Mart liked Apes...
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• B-Lister
            Eccentric Weirdo
            • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by scott metzger
            Ultraman figures still sit in my Walmarts (and these can can check out with no problem, unlike a lot of recent Megos, so that's not the problem). Poin is, the 50th figures sell, apparently even with the Walmart problems.
            Sounds like we have the opposite problem.

Ultraman sold out FAST in my area, and the boring old Superhero rehashes sit in piles of ever worsening boxes.
            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• JediJaida
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 14, 2008

If I may chime in; I'm looking forward to the new SuperGals. Not just the original set either. I hope it gets expanded to include some of the Marvel heavy hitters like Storm, She-Hulk, Spider-Woman, etc.

I know that it's a matter of what sells, but we can always hope.

She-Hulk would require a whole new body; it'll be difficult to make her look as ripped as she is in the comics yet retain her femininity.
              Last edited by JediJaida; Nov 20, '23, 2:45 AM.
              JediJaida

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎