X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Vintage Mego: Secret Identity World’s Greatest Superheroes

New to the channel? Subscribe! ?https://bit.ly/3D3zxJK Vintage Mego this week talks about Bruce, Peter, Clark and Dick. The Mego Secret Identity outfits are one of the hardest if not the most challenging sets to collect in the world’s greatest superheroes pantheon. Why is that and what is the history? we touch on that and talk…

More...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Never tire of looking at these. I appreciate the overview/perspective.

It was such a pleasure assembling custom versions of these with (mostly) vintage parts. I've been searching for Dick Grayson trousers for years.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 30, '22, 10:07 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• SainthoodDenied
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 26, 2008

Great video as always. Such awesome figures, I'd be happy just to piece one of them together just to sort of represent the series in my collection. Kind of like the Teen Titans, I'll be happy with 1.
      Chad

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

My repro set mock me daily.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• rykerw1701
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 27, 2007

So can one consider their collection of vintage WGSH complete without these? I would say yes, these were not sold as WGSH. Other's opinions may be different.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
            Career Member
            • Jan 19, 2019

I just ordered the Peter from FTC, mainly because of this video.

Gonna put that outfit and head/torso on an actual Mego body though.
            Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by rykerw1701
              So can one consider their collection of vintage WGSH complete without these? I would say yes, these were not sold as WGSH. Other's opinions may be different.
              Interesting question. I know some have made an argument against the Teen Titans. The packaging had no WGSH branding but they were definitely in the WGSH section of the 1977 catalog. I think the SI's are even more disconnected from the line. They are superhero items by definition but the fact that Mego never put them under the umbrella makes the connection to the WGSH line more tenuous. Jet Jungle had the WGSH branding on his box and had other WGSH images. I've never really considered him necessary to having a complete WGSH line, though. This may seem contradictory, but I feel like the SI's are part of the WGSH line AND you can have a complete WGSH line without them. Cake both had AND eaten.
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

Unfortunately for me as a kid I don’t remember any Montgomery Wards in my area or the catalog, it was mostly Sears and I think Macys.

If I had known of it, I would have pestered and beg Mom for Bruce and Dick, because I already had Batman and Robin.

No collection can be considered vintage without these, but I wouldn’t be too disappointed if I had repros of these or go as far as to say half original and half reproduction, just enjoy!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

When something is beyond my price range, I just accept it and move on. I could save and scrape, and not buy other things for a year or so to drop the coin needed to get these, the Wayne Foundation, etc. But I'm pretty good about being "okay" with an "incomplete" collection. I think these are on the periphery enough to not really disqualify a "complete collection" if they are not there, anyway. They are not even the cheery, instead the crushed peanuts on a WGSH Sundae.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎