Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Another Exclusive Sneak Peek at Wave 2
Collapse
X
-
As an expert on the subject, I can assure you it did not. Just as people asserted for YEARS that the Creature from the Black Lagoon didn't have red lips. The full color Life magazine photos say otherwise. I am fully aware of the makeup and lighting techniques used for black and white film, and what the filmmakers intentions were for the monster to appear in a black and white film, however, Son of Frankenstein was originally going to be shot in color. There exists color test footage of Karloff in full makeup as he was intended to appear in color, and he is GREEN. There is no question about it whatsoever.

It is no different than George Reeves chocolate brown and light grey Superman costume. Although these colors were used to enhance it's appearance in black and white, we all know the intended colors are red and blue. The same applies here.Leave a comment:
-
Gives them a little more toy appeal to me. I think greyish Drac and Green Frankie will make a nice pair. Throw in a orange-y brown Wolfman and you got a pretty fun looking UM TrinityLeave a comment:
-
I like Pantone 579 as a skin tone for the Monster. B&W cinematography notwithstanding and speaking as a make-up artist, I think it's good for the shelf appeal and characterization of the classic monsters to have varying skin tones.Leave a comment:
-
I understand that the color marketing/advertising for Frankenstein showed him with green skin. I referenced it in my initial post. Early Dracula posters portrayed him with green skin as well.
My point was not that this didn't happen, but rather it was inaccurate. The green makeup was used to have Drac and the Monster show up as ashy white/grey corpse colored monsters on screen.
As a fan of silent era films in particular, and b&w film in general, I can tell you this was common practice. It's why Matt Dillon originally wore a pinkish/red shirt in Gunsmoke.
Frankenstein's Monster (and Dracula) showed up as white/grey on film by design. They showed up green in advertising by mistake. For Frankenstein the mistake persisted and passed into pop culture, just as the upright arms while walking did (even though this scene appeared only in Bela's portrayal after the Monster was blinded.)Leave a comment:
-
That's not entirely accurate...the monster was depicted as being green on nearly all of Universal's advertising and movie posters beginning with "Bride" in 1935. This remained consistent all the way up until Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein in 1948, and even with the Munsters.Bit of a tangent, but Frankenstein's Monster is technically supposed to be white/grey, not green. Green makeup was used on both Karloff and Lugosi because it showed up white/grey in black and white film. Color photographs of the actors in costume led to the public perception of them being green, Frankenstein more than Drac. Drac only suffered from being portrayed as green in some early advertising before it was corrected. Frankenstein's Monster was not so lucky.
Last edited by enyawd72; Sep 2, '18, 11:03 AM.Leave a comment:
-
Here is an old thread from five years back, where our fellow member, Samurainoir, shared pics of the color guide for Frankenstein.Bit of a tangent, but Frankenstein's Monster is technically supposed to be white/grey, not green. Green makeup was used on both Karloff and Lugosi because it showed up white/grey in black and white film. Color photographs of the actors in costume led to the public perception of them being green, Frankenstein more than Drac. Drac only suffered from being portrayed as green in some early advertising before it was corrected. Frankenstein's Monster was not so lucky.
Just received the EMCE Frankenstein and Wolf Man today, and while they look lovely, I couldn't help but think of how the modern style guide for Universal seems to have negatively impacted some color choices. The worst offender? Frankenstein's GREEN jacket. Green? Where did this come from? This dates back to the mid '90sLeave a comment:
-
I like the green, as inaccurate as it is, because it makes me think of putrid flesh!Leave a comment:
-
Bit of a tangent, but Frankenstein's Monster is technically supposed to be white/grey, not green. Green makeup was used on both Karloff and Lugosi because it showed up white/grey in black and white film. Color photographs of the actors in costume led to the public perception of them being green, Frankenstein more than Drac. Drac only suffered from being portrayed as green in some early advertising before it was corrected. Frankenstein's Monster was not so lucky.Leave a comment:
-
-
Now that I know it's Lon Chaney Jr...my hopes are high for a Wolfman. 😀Leave a comment:
-
I didn't get Dracula, but I can see myself getting Frankenstein. There's something fun about the odd mix of characters I can pick up - like why shouldn't I have a Frankenstein next to my Kelly Garrett, Sulu, and Action Jackson?Leave a comment:
-
-
Leave a comment:


Leave a comment: