X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stubbylong
    • Aug 7, 2018

Originally posted by k2
    ^^^why did you return them?
    I thought I was going to collect them all because they were supposed to be a limited run. But now it doesn’t feel like they are. To me the thrill is in the hunt. There’s no hunt if the Targets and online are over stocked with them.

Comment

• SWCWorld
      Museum Patron
      • Aug 10, 2011

Originally posted by stubbylong
      I thought I was going to collect them all because they were supposed to be a limited run. But now it doesn’t feel like they are. To me the thrill is in the hunt. There’s no hunt if the Targets and online are over stocked with them.
      Well, the hunt for many has been trying to find them at retail, as the Target roll-out has not be consistent across the board (no fault of Mego). I agree with Nostalgiabuff; buy the new figures because they are cool, they are retro, they remind you of your childhood, take them out, play with them, leave them carded, display them, just have fun with them! Not as an investment. To me, the only vintage Megos that might be considered an "investment" are the Montgomery Ward alternate identity packs and maybe some really early run unopened first series full boxed figures. Heck, if you want a vintage Mego, you can pretty much buy whatever you want, whatever character or body style you want (T1, T2, etc.) here on the Marketplace or on eBay.

Mego is FUN!

Comment

• Teemu
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
        if you are buying these because you think it is an investment, you are buying for the wrong reason
        exactly.....I don't get the, if I buy this,it might be worth something someday. Those days are loooooong gone and who is going to buy 20-30 years later when we have a young generation that could care less about toys. Nobody is going to care about this stuff in the future....you sell it while it's hot!

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by Teemu
          exactly.....I don't get the, if I buy this,it might be worth something someday. Those days are loooooong gone and who is going to buy 20-30 years later when we have a young generation that could care less about toys. Nobody is going to care about this stuff in the future....you sell it while it's hot!
          Unfortunately that's what the jerks on eBay are doing, selling at 3 times the price because there currently on the hot list.

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah, anyone buying these for "investment" is going to end up disappointed. Buy something because you like it, not because it might be worth something one day (but likely will not).

Comment

• generic
              Persistent Member
              • Jun 25, 2009

...The math just doesn’t add up for a limited run of 10k. It is my feeling more were actually made...
              *I think it's great that these new Megos are out. This post is strictly a response to the idea that production numbers are higher than advertised:

Although it is possible that more than 10,000 of each figure were made, I seriously doubt it. Each figure is numbered, so that would mean duplicate numbers on some of the figures and honestly, that just sounds like more trouble than it would be worth for Mego. If they were going to make more than 10,000, why number them?

Also, I don't think the information that we have suggests that there are more than 10,000 of each figure out there. There are 1,835 Target stores in the USA. Even if every store received 2 of each figure, that's only 3,670. I'm not convinced that every store received a full run of figures, but with some stores having more than two, we can assume that it would pretty much balance out. I suspect that an ON-LINE supply of just 1,000 of each figure would be enough to satisfy the demand for most of the characters offered through the website...especially considering we're only 2 weeks into their availability. That still gives us fewer than half of the reported run numbers.

Sure, Dracula and the Star Trek characters seem to be big sellers and may sell 10,000 of each character eventually, but I'll be surprised if most of the others don't end up on clearance. I just don't see 10,000 people paying $15+ for the characters from Facts of Life, Charmed, Charlie's Angels, Cheers, or The Brady Bunch.

Again, I think it's great that these figures are available! I just don't think it would be realistic to manufacture more than 10,000 of any one character considering the limited appeal that these figures are going to have.
              Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

There will surely be a lot of these on clearance before not too long, not a knock on Mego, that's just how Target operates.

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2011

Originally posted by cjefferys
                  There will surely be a lot of these on clearance before not too long, not a knock on Mego, that's just how Target operates.

That's what everyone said back in the day with Mego 1974 - 84. Who buys this stuff ? Nobody new to collect. I can remember $1.97 Mego figures on clearance as well to $1.00 at Woolworths.

Have the sticker and clam shell. Now their worth hundreds.

Nobody can really tell what the future investment will be on new 2018 Mego. In 2058, who knows ?? Just sayin....
                  Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
                  :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
                  I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.

Comment

• pmwasson
                    Maker
                    • Sep 12, 2007

I've been buying duplicates, not because I think they will go up in value, but its a cheap way to get bodies and clothes for customizing. I'm sure if they do go on clearance I will stock up on more, especially Norm because of his larger body type.
                    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• generic
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jun 25, 2009

Originally posted by Cornelius POTA
                      Nobody can really tell what the future investment will be on new 2018 Mego. In 2058, who knows ?? Just sayin....
                      That is true. No one can know for certain. However, we can make an educated guess based on what items from the past have become valuable today.

I don't think there is much of a cross over between toy collectors and fans of The Facts of Life or The Brady Bunch, so even though there may be people today buying them because of the 70s and 80s nostalgia, I don't see those figures being highly collectible in the future by people looking back fondly on 2018. No one knows for certain, but I have a short box of mint condition Spider-Man 2099 comic books from the early 1990s that isn't going to put anyone's kids through college

Comment

• Liu Bei
                        Banned
                        • Mar 31, 2018

These things are at every Target in Tulsa, OK and surrounding areas. And they have restocked the Two Double figure packs. Only ones sold out are Dracula & Batman. I just returned $260 worth of them because from reading other groups on FB and such and the fact everyone but Batman is available online. The math just doesn’t add up for a limited run of 10k. It is my feeling more were actually made. MEGO needs to do a better job at production and limit it if they are going to advertise the production as such. Buy what you like because they are cool figures and well made but no way should you buy them thinking it’s an investment like a true vintage Mego.
                        No one said it was an investment, and I certainly don't think anyone here was treating them that way.

Only a scalper or a speculator would treat these like a money-making opportunity. I have very little respect for either. These are toys. I'm glad that you returned them, and hope they'll find their way into the hands of someone who can truly appreciate thrm.

Comment

• generic
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jun 25, 2009

Update: I said a few posts back that it would have made no sense for Mego to number the figures if they were going to make more than 10,000. Well, I just learned that some of the stickers don't have a number, but instead have 'ENDORSED' where the "#### / 10000" would have been. So maybe stubbylong was right about the numbers being more than 10,000?

Comment

• toothaction
                            Career Member
                            • Jul 15, 2017

^ The ENDORSED stickers, as I understand it, were from the stock sold at SDCC, whereas the numbered stickers are on the general release pretties. SDCC stock being what it was, limited, I don't imagine that it throws the totals off by more than a fraction, if at all.
                            >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Teemu
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by Cornelius POTA
                              Now their worth hundreds.....
                              Yeah, because kids opened their toys and played with them.Nobody thought to keep things in the packages back in the 70's and 80's which is why packaged vintage things of that era are expensive today...now some people's mindset of today think they can do the same thing and get a return like that again in 20 years not happening!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                                Hi Ernie!!!
                                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by k2
                                ^^^why did you return them?
                                sounds to me like he was planning on scalping them.
                                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎