Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • starsky
    veteran member
    • Aug 26, 2007

i only had spiderman , kirk, hulk, and superman as a kid. as an adult i didnt realize that there was an rc batman. nevertheless, that rc batman jump started it all as an adult.

Comment

• livnxxxl
      Megoholic RocketScientist
      • Oct 23, 2007

As a kid I was and still am a big ape fan. I had all of the POTA figures,the stallion and some of the playsets. I also had the Star Trek figures and The Enterprise playset. I did not have any of the aliens then other than the Klingon of course. Somehow I had managed to save my original Urko with the helmet. I had found him in one of my stored boxes when I had moved from my parents house many, many moons ago. Of course his original knife was missing (imagine that). I thought it was kind of neat to find something that I had played with as a child. I had also found a few other things in the boxes at that time. Nothing much regarding Mego's though. My Urko was the only one that had survived and I am not even really sure how that even happened to this date. Most of my Mego collection as a kid was either sold, broken (darn elastic Mego string) and or thrown away. I basically started out by going to local Toy Shows in search of Hot Wheels as I was really big into collecting Hotwheels as well. Having become bored with hoarding tons of HotWheels since 1995 I needed something else to buy and or collect when I went. I scouted around the tables and finally found my new collecting love of Mego's. It was there at one of the local toy shows that I had found a loose Zauis and a loose Corneilus in a bag together. I do not even know what I paid for them at this time, but I remember them being very inexpensive. I do not think the guy knew what they were or maybe he just did not care and wanted to get rid of them. After I picked those two Mego's up I seen a guy with a carded soldier ape which is the one that I really liked the most as a kid. The soldier ape was behind a glass display case on the guys table. I asked the guy what he wanted for the carded soldier ape as it had no price tag on or around it. The guy told me $150.00 I believe. I thought that price was ridiculous then and still would now for just a basic carded soldier ape. So I had just politely passed on it at that time. I went on to another toy show to buy my first carded Mego. It was a carded Batman. The card was not the best, but it was a sealed Batman and it was my first carded Mego so I said what the heck. I don't even remember what I paid for it. Probably too much though. Sometime after that many years went by and I decided to bite the bullet and join eBay. Again, I was primarily looking for Hot Wheels when I started running acrossed all of the Mego ads in the toy section on eBay. Since that time I have quit collecting Hot Wheels to the point of having cases of the same cars over and over. Now I just buy a couple of each for my set and leave it at that. Once I became a member of eBay I bought up Mego's like mad. I just cannot get enough Mego's. I am like a Mego Nympho. Hence forth my member subtitle and website (currently under construction) "Megoholic".com Some day I plan on building a huge city with Apes, Star Trek and Super Hero's.
      Last edited by livnxxxl; May 25, '08, 3:38 AM.
      Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• Action Burt
        Museum Super Collector
        • Mar 9, 2008

Starsky & Hutch and a boxed gran torino....a few short months ago
        ACTION BURT - Home

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 1, 2005

I had managed to keep all of my well worn Megos from childhood up until around '87 when my dad cleaned house and tossed my old toys without my knowledge. By the time I realised it, they were already gone. I had a grudge about that for a few years, then I popped into a comic store nearby in 1990, and saw a French carded Spidey for $80 (too much $$$, I found out later!) and had to have it. It had never occurred to me that I could find old Megos and just start buying them again, much less in the original packages! The guy at the comic shop showed me an issue of Toy Shop not too long afterwards and that was that. My next Mego pickup after that was a french carded Torch from Huckabone Been hooked ever since.

Comment

• VintageMike
            Permanent Member
            • Dec 16, 2004

It depends since I've been in and out. My first "in" as an adult collector and frencgh carded Batman. I don't remember what sparked my intrest but I called a nearby comic/collector shop and asked if they had any Megos.
            I bought the afermentioned Batman and a Superman would follow. They didn't last long and I ended up selling both. My current collection has it's origins with a loose complete Batman purchased in 2001. I followed it it up with lesser Robin which I have since restored to full glory. There wa salso a Fonzie I bought a toy show probably in thr late 90's. Pretty much ended there for a fe wyears as I ended heavily collecting Vintage Star Wars. I lurked here for sometime. Moving to th emor epresent day I'd say about two years ago I jumped back getting a loose Captain America, a figure I long coveted. That would be the start of my current collection.

Comment

• English Paul
              Archive cased.
              • Aug 17, 2005

A Fist Fighting Spiderman. I was at a toy fair about 10 years ago with a friend 4 years older than me. He had much more of a recollection of Mego as a child (and I was mainly into vintage Star Wars at the time) but I bought it just because I liked it. I was not aware that he was different (Fist Fighting) until some time later. I paid £9 for him.
              Later I bought a carded Spock (I just loved the packaging) but it was probably only about 4 or 5 years ago that it got a lot more serious.
              "I should say I`m very much cleverer than any of the people who put me here. As a matter of fact, I could leave any time I wanted. It`s only a doll`s house after all. Anyway, I don`t mind. I like dolls" - The Mad Hatter, Arkham Asylum.

Comment

• Surfsup
                Silver Chrome Dome
                • Dec 2, 2005

I was sat at work one day and a little bored in 2005, and got to thinking about the action figures I used to have in the 70s. I couldn't remember what they were called but put a search in Ebay for Star Trek in the toys section and I saw a few Megos. I then found this forum in a Google search which brought back memories of what I had and the ads I used to see in the US comics (I never ordered anything as I never had a "Zip Code"). I didn't buy anything straight away but kept going back and checking what was being listed. After a couple of months I caved in and bought a MOC Spock and Kirk and joined the Museum soon after; that started my collecting off from there. I haven't looked back since.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                  Still Old School
                  • Feb 14, 2008

Can't really name one because I've collected Mego all of my life. As a child I played with them...as I got older I would pick them up at flea markets out of nostalgia.....in University I discovered eBay.....and now I have you guys.

There's never been a day in my life where I didn't consider myself a Mego collector.
                  Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Merlyn1976
                    Fist of Khonshu
                    • Mar 29, 2005

POTA Astronaut....well he was the first one I finished when I got back into them...

I prefer to buy lots and complete figures that way instead of buying them outright...
                    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

In the Southeast Pacific, lies the sunken city of R'Leyh. There lies C'thulhu waits to return to our world with the other Great Old Ones. A hideous creature of enormous size and alien power, it waits for it's time to return patiently. For it has all the time in the world while it waits for the stars.

Comment

• Megospidey
                      Museum Webslinger
                      • Jul 26, 2006

About 3 years ago, my mother handed me a box one afternoon while I was visiting her. Inside were Spiderman, Batman, Robin, and Superman - all my from childhood (probably second or third replacements....I was HARD on my Megos, but ones I played with as a kid nonetheless).

Looking at that Type 2 Spiderman set something off - he was in such ratty shape, I knew I needed to get a replacement.

I headed straight to ebay and noticed the difference in body styles - and remembered having Type 1 body figures first.

So...I waited and I watched. And I finally bought a mint Type 1 Spiderman for $25. And then another. And another...Found the Museum not long after that.

Comment

• DocDrako
                        Formerly Doc Drako
                        • Nov 11, 2004

I had to edit my post! I realized where it really started! I had moved to Texas to marry the woman who is still my wife and we were at a store. I saw a magazine called Toyfare. It was the Spring Edition before they went monthly. There was a custom Venom defeating Spider-Man diorama on the cover. It reminded me of my childhood Spider-Man. I looked at the magazine and then bought it. I thought the figures on the cover were new action figures coming out. When I realized they were just customs, I began to check eBay where I had bought a Dr Steel figure in search of a Spider-Man like the one I had when I was a kid. So it was in fact...

...a Spider-Man I got in an eBay auction. I guess it could be said that it was the magazine cover with the Mego-like figures on it that sparked my memory and then fueled the fire, but I digress.

After I bought him I began to search online for information on Mego. Then I found the Mego Museum and boom! Here I am. Well, it was the previous Mego Museum. I lurked for about a year before joining.

I started buying Megos on eBay. 1 Mego led to 2, then 4 then 8 and then 16...you know how it goes. I missed out on Mego in the 70's due to Star Wars. So now I'm getting in on what I missed. That's why I'm here. That and the fact that the Mego Museum has the best bunch of toy collectors I've ever known. Brown nosing? Maybe. But truth is truth. If an apple is red, I gotta call it red.

Last edited by DocDrako; May 30, '08, 4:39 PM. Reason: facts
                        "I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• saildog
                          Permanent Member
                          • Apr 9, 2006

Found my childhood Supes and Batman and that set me out to find out if there was anyone else who still had a connection to them. That led me straight to The Museum.

From that time, I bought my first ever Cap from eBay and that got the ball rolling. In two-years of collecting, I am up to 26 different Megos from WGSH, Trek, POTA, Robin Hood, and Starsky and Hutch. Some are all original, some a mix of original and repro parts, but all are highly displayable and I love staring at them from time-to-time.

Still have several I want to acquire, but I've learned to be patient and enjoy the process more. All-in-all this has been one of the most satisfying things I have ever gotten into and I have met some of the greatest folks ever along the way!
                          Last edited by saildog; May 30, '08, 6:03 PM.

Comment

• megoioni
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jan 17, 2005

when i was child , got , all fantastic four & after some years i remember again the store where my uncle Luciano , for a present , bought for me the batman & spiderman on green palitoy card

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎