Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

You got lucky babe.... http://mailchi.mp/92b65c258e40/mego-...s?e=ce704b24aa

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, the Eagle Force stuff is fascinating. What is the real timeline between it's development and G.I. Joe: RAH? Because the Eagle Force characters were ahead of the curve of where RAH went to with the the very specific character traits dominating the naming, design, etc. of each figure.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        Wow, the Eagle Force stuff is fascinating. What is the real timeline between it's development and G.I. Joe: RAH? Because the Eagle Force characters were ahead of the curve of where RAH went to with the the very specific character traits dominating the naming, design, etc. of each figure.

Chris
        Not always. Sure, you got Stryker for a sharpshooter, and Zapper for the electronics guy, and Wild Bill for the cowboy... but you also got regular names like Sgt. Brown for the... oh... wait... I get it now...

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by sprytel
          Sgt. Brown for the... oh... wait... I get it now...
          I don't remember who at Mego told me this but they actually said RE: Sgt Brown, "I can't believe we got away with that".
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mr.Marion
            Permanent Member
            • Sep 15, 2014

Mission to Gamma 6 found at a flea market.
            I imagine he got a great deal.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

^A step back from the Marvel Howling Commando, Gabriel Jones, who was the first regularly featured non-white hero in American comics.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• greensavage2000
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 9, 2013

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                When I found this newsletter. 🎩💔 I see what you did there. Nice tip of the hat. Nice newsletter once again. It's much appreciated.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  ^A step back from the Marvel Howling Commando, Gabriel Jones, who was the first regularly featured non-white hero in American comics.
                  That was Mego internal and not Paul Kirchner who named the character BTW. More than one of the Eagle Force characters had some sort of In-joke involved.

Baron Von Chill is named after VP of RD Bill Baron for example.

What's interesting to note about the line is it had an Arabic villain, Nemesis in the US. In Italy, GIG made him a good guy and swapped out Goldie Hawk as a villain. Years later when Abrams Gentile would produce the Rambo line with Coleco, they would get into hot water for another Arabic villain.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

I'm guessing the Joker might look like the card art, with overcoat and hat, maybe some small playing cards added.

I was kind of hoping but not crossing my fingers, something sort of halloweenish was going to be released, but I guess
                    a new Joker is close enough.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

I appreciate Eagle Force now more than I did as a kid. I remember thinking they were kinda ugly as a kid and I didn't get why army troopers were all wearing gold Lamé.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
                        I appreciate Eagle Force now more than I did as a kid. I remember thinking they were kinda ugly as a kid and I didn't get why army troopers were all wearing gold Lamé.
                        I passed right by them for the same reason when I was a kid. I must have passed by them hundreds of times. I just didn't get it. And, I don't remember any of the kids I knew having any.

- Ian
                        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

I recall seeing the playset though at Nichol's--c. 1981?--and thinking it was cool.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            I recall seeing the playset though at Nichol's--c. 1981?--and thinking it was cool.
                            I don't recall the playset off-hand, Scott.

I think Eagle Force came out at the same time as GI Joe RAH. I mention that because I recall thinking that they were also odd because they were so much smaller than the new GI Joes. GI Joe RAH were the same size as many other action figures, of course. Eagle force was unique in size. They must have been on the racks at Children's Palace until the store shut their doors for good. I suppose the line would have done better if they had been interchangeable with other action figure lines. Who knows.

- Ian

Comment

• greensavage2000
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 9, 2013

I think I remember seeing Eagle Force at Service Merchandise for a while. I never had a desire for them. Maybe their size? There were other lines I remember being interested in and not getting because of size like Sky Commanders and I can't think of the name of the other. Wasn't there one where they had a little air pump to launch the vehicles? Wasn't there another line that were magnetic? I could be confused and they were the same line. Whatever they were I wish I had them now.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                                Museum Paramedic
                                • Aug 31, 2005

^ I think I remember the little air pump, but I was thinking it was for some car line. Maybe they had two toy lines with air pumps.

- Ian

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎