Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why have type 1 bodies never been reproduced?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silveralex
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 22, 2012

Not a fan of T1 - the 2 I've had I transferred everything I could to a T2 and sold the bodies.

Comment

• drmego
      EMCE Toys
      • Jun 15, 2001

The rivets is the reason why I have never reproduced the type 1 body. The rivets MEGO
      used were lead based and I have never been able to source non-lead versions.

The other main reason is that T1 has never been requested by customers or partners.
      T0 would solve the lead issue, but the bodies don't look as good as the T2 swimmers body.
      www.drmego.com
      www.megoman.com
      www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Let ebay find out about the T-1's having lead rivets and they will ban the sale of Mego products!

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I just don't think the demand is there--t1s have a nostalgic charm, but IMO are not that aesthetic or poseable. Plus, they are not much in demand for customs.

I will say, though, that my Mad Monster customs are t1 due to the glow hands.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• galaxyexplorer42
            Monsters,Creatures,Aliens
            • Mar 3, 2010

I always thought that the reason Mego made the T2 bodies in the first place was because they were such a huge improvement over the T1. Poseability, durability, appearance, everything. The opinions I'm reading in this thread is kinda making me question my opinion. I had no idea that anyone would RATHER a T1 over a T2 for any other reason than originality or to collect both versions... I'm a T2 guy through & through... All the original Megos I have are T2, & many of them have been transformed from T1 bodies... I have absolutely no interest in T1 bodies... In fact, I've GIVEN T1 bodies away for free before in the marketplace... Weird....
            Galaxy Explorer

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I never knew about Type 1 until I found a T1 Superman at a flea market in 1986. It felt like some ancient artifact to me. I have T1s, but I prefer most characters on Type 2, because it's what I know, better made, and much more heroic looking. Skinny characters like the Joker look better on Type 1 though.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

>Aren't they sturdier than the type 2 because of the plastic pins?

Nah. The rivets put constant stress on the joints so you get lots of microcracks around them. As the years go by and the plastic dries out they get brittle and fall apart when played with. They're harder to fix, too; since you can't just pop and replace.

Don C.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                  SynthoRes Transmigrator
                  • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by ctc
                  >Aren't they sturdier than the type 2 because of the plastic pins?

Nah. The rivets put constant stress on the joints so you get lots of microcracks around them. As the years go by and the plastic dries out they get brittle and fall apart when played with. They're harder to fix, too; since you can't just pop and replace.

Don C.
                  Also, the rivets are hot squeezed in the plastic so the the plastic stretches out and creates a barrier wall around the rivet. The problem with this is that the rivet can and is miscentered causing it to melt the plastic askewed thus creating a thin barrier wall to one side which can easily break off with constant movement or the slightest tug.

I personally prefer the T1 torso and like the T1 pelvis over the T2 pelvis. Looks more natural and realistic. Just not a fan of the mid section.

Comment

• Mr Mego
                    Love to play with Megos
                    • Oct 19, 2003

Originally posted by Megotu
                    I would like to see Type 0 bodies reproduced. No metal rivets, all the looks of the T1.
                    I second that.

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                    I like the t-1 body!
                    Me too!!
                    Wanted to buy pair original shoes for vintage WOZ Wizard

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list in here.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I do like the torso/pelvis, too, Ed--perfect for some slimmer customs. It's a shame one cannot easliy kitbash t2 limbs onto a t1 torso...
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎