X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gummi
    Career Member
    • Dec 2, 2009

Loose AFA Supergirl Dilemma

Hello everyone. First, I'd just like to preface this by saying that I'm not a supporter of AFA grading for loose figures, and I don't normally buy these; however, I was able to get what I consider a great deal on this loose Supergirl. I've seen other ones on eBay go for a lot more than this one, and that's with various reproduction accessories. She does have a bit of discoloration around the shoulder, but other than that she's in incredible shape and everything appears to be original (the only thing that's impossible to tell about is the cape, but it also looks authentic). I know that AFA only grades all original figures, but you never know. My dilemma is whether or not to crack her out of her plastic tomb. All of my Megos are loose and displayed on Kaiser stands, so for the sake of aesthetics I had fully intended to remove her for display alongside the rest of the group, but now that she's here I can't seem to make myself do it. I don't ever intend on selling her, but there's still that little voice in the back of my mind telling me, "Don't do it, it's worth more sealed." What do you think?

Last edited by gummi; Aug 14, '10, 5:58 AM.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997
  • jimsmegos
    Mego Dork
    • Nov 9, 2008

follow your gut... there's always a reason for that little voice

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

Release her from her plastic tomb!
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• AJ Collector
        The Biggest Little Man!
        • Aug 24, 2008

I hope you never have to sell her as well..... but you never know, and in case you do she is worth more sealed then open.....

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

IMO: The average Mego collector doesn't give a toss about AFA, a Supergirl that minty has great value without the case and worthless rating.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

I agree with Brian. Open her up, AFA doesn't mean anything to most of us. You shouldn't have a problem selling her for top dollar if you ever have to.

Comment

• clemso
              Talkative Member
              • Aug 8, 2001

<<<I'd just like to preface this by saying that I'm not a supporter of AFA grading for loose figures>>>>

You've answered your own question, now crack it open so it can be with all your other loose figures.

Comment

• ScottA
                Original Member
                • Jun 25, 2001

If you got a good deal then it is NOT worth more than a standard loose Supergirl. Crack that sucker open.
                sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• z3zep
                  The Girl Next Door
                  • Sep 30, 2006

I would keep her in the case, it will protect her from dust etc.

Comment

• AJ Collector
                    The Biggest Little Man!
                    • Aug 24, 2008

Originally posted by ScottA
                    If you got a good deal then it is NOT worth more than a standard loose Supergirl. Crack that sucker open.
                    I guess that would be the deciding factor to me....

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

I also don't give a crap about AFA on Megos...however...it displays nicely...and dust will not get all over her...so why open it...let her rest in there...at least for now...what's the rush...

sigpic

Comment

• livnxxxl
                        Megoholic RocketScientist
                        • Oct 23, 2007

AFA is a big rip IMO. I do not think that anyone here ever thinks about getting rid of or selling any of their collection although the cold hard reality is that it does happen. Things happen in life all the time as we all know and can attest to.

I have seen people here sell off pieces of their collection from time to time. Not that they probably really wanted to it just became a necessity that they had to for whatever reasons. car repairs...divorce... marriage, new baby etc..etc..

For anyone to ever think that they will hold on to their collection for ever would be naive of that person.

I would suggest selling the piece that you have to an AFA collector and buying a real nice one that is already loose for your own personal collection. This way you will not have to open this piece and ruin any potential value. And there are people who believe in AFA grading and nothing but so you would get more for it providing you find the right person to sell it to. So it would be a win/win I think. Best of luck whatever you decide to ultimately do with her.
                        Last edited by livnxxxl; Aug 14, '10, 2:32 PM.
                        Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                          Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                          • Oct 8, 2007

She's safe in there and it protects her from dust and grim, and small fingers like some others said. I don't give a hoot about AFA, but it's a nice case so leave her in there until you are sure. What's the rush?
                          "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• HardyGirl
                            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                            • Apr 3, 2007

How can you enjoy something that's sealed up? It's a TOY! Bust her out and play w/ her. Let her fly around the room a few times. Hang out w/ her cousin Superman. SET HER FREE!
                            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• MegoNutt
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 8, 2009

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                              How can you enjoy something that's sealed up? It's a TOY! Bust her out and play w/ her. Let her fly around the room a few times. Hang out w/ her cousin Superman. SET HER FREE!
                              couldn't agree more. toys are meant to be played with.
                              If you need a hole, I can dig it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎