• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
    BINGO! We have a winner!

But tell the truth...don't you feel "ridiculous" complaining?
    After all, you have no right to according to some folks.
    Rich
    No point in causing trouble Rich, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• MegoNutt
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 8, 2009

A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!! They've arrived in da'Burgh!!! Pittsburgh, Pennsyl-FREAKIN-vania. I am so pumped. Just got back from TRU. This was all they had.

Last edited by MegoNutt; Feb 28, '10, 9:19 PM. Reason: think i got the picture upload right
      If you need a hole, I can dig it.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
        Removed.
        • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by Meule
        No point in causing trouble Rich, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion
        Which I was giving earlier when "someone" decided to counter mine much more aggressively than was necessary hence I felt my duty to respond appropriately. Funny how I'm the one called "causing trouble".
        Let's face it. The line has major quality issues and is priced way too high. Even without these being "$10 figures in a $20 package", which is a totally justified remark, these are overpriced. You can't say, "Well how much would you spend if you bought all these custom pieces?". That's like comparing apples and oranges.
        First thing is custom parts are made in small batches and you have to spread out the cost over tiny amounts so the prices are going to be way higher than a conglomerate like Mattel making thousands upon thousands of their figures and parts. Of course the smaller guy is going to cost more.
        In the end something is worth what you are willing to pay. I'm not willing to pay $10 for used Mego hero boots. I'm not willing to pay $5 for repro boots. I'm not willing to pay $25 for an emce Khan. I'm not willing to pay $20 for Mattel retro action hero. Many of you are. Many of you are very wealthy (and like to point that out a LOT). I'm just an average guy who is feeling the pinch in the economy right now because my line of work is very tied into the health of the economy. I have to think about where I spend my dollars and I'm not spending my dollars on JUNK.
        I do want some of these figures (and not just the Mattel ones) but I know the value of a dollar and to me they aren't worth the sticker price especially with all the problems. I'm not trying to "cause trouble" any more than anyone else who is let down or disappointed in these. I've been on this board almost every day for years now and have nearly 4,000 posts and some very good friends but this retro crap has really driven a wedge between a lot of people in here and I have seen some people leave already because of stuff like this.
        Rich

PS, I'm not directing any animosity at you. I actually like you.
        Last edited by kryptosmaster; Feb 28, '10, 2:26 PM.

Comment

• Flynne
          Permanent Member
          • Jan 22, 2003

Retro Heroes hit the shelf here in Wichita on Friday. To test a theory, I told no one, waited two days, and went back to check. They're gone all ready. I've asked the TRU to put in another order.
          An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• BlackKnight
            The DarkSide Customizer
            • Apr 16, 2005

Which I was giving earlier when "someone" decided to counter mine much more aggressively than was necessary hence I felt my duty to respond appropriately. Funny how I'm the one called "causing trouble".
            Let's face it. The line has major quality issues and is priced way too high. Even without these being "$10 figures in a $20 package", which is a totally justified remark, these are overpriced. You can't say, "Well how much would you spend if you bought all these custom pieces?". That's like comparing apples and oranges.
            First thing is custom parts are made in small batches and you have to spread out the cost over tiny amounts so the prices are going to be way higher than a conglomerate like Mattel making thousands upon thousands of their figures and parts. Of course the smaller guy is going to cost more.
            In the end something is worth what you are willing to pay. I'm not willing to pay $10 for used Mego hero boots. I'm not willing to pay $5 for repro boots. I'm not willing to pay $25 for an emce Khan. I'm not willing to pay $20 for Mattel retro action hero. Many of you are. Many of you are very wealthy (and like to point that out a LOT). I'm just an average guy who is feeling the pinch in the economy right now because my line of work is very tied into the health of the economy. I have to think about where I spend my dollars and I'm not spending my dollars on JUNK.
            I do want some of these figures (and not just the Mattel ones) but I know the value of a dollar and to me they aren't worth the sticker price especially with all the problems. I'm not trying to "cause trouble" any more than anyone else who is let down or disappointed in these. I've been on this board almost every day for years now and have nearly 4,000 posts and some very good friends but this retro crap has really driven a wedge between a lot of people in here and I have seen some people leave already because of stuff like this.
            Rich.
            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

Rich

PS, I'm not directing any animosity at you. I actually like you.
              Yes, you are entitled to your opinion as much as the next guy. Could the Mattels be cheaper? I certainly wouldn't mind. But if you won't buy these or can't afford them, is it really necessary to crap all over these in every thread? Just saying.
              And personally, I haven't seen people pointing out that they're wealthy, certainly not A LOT.
              Oh, and we're cool
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by raider5gt
                Also looking forward to more pics.

I am with you there man
                Now you've made me cry, too!
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Raydeen1
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 23, 2008

I can complain about poor design about anything I wish. These are poorly designed and until Mattel steps up, I will continue to have this opinion. If the line fails, they will have noone to blame but themselves and I for one, want to see the line continue for years!

Comment

• raider5gt
                    Museum Tree Cutter
                    • Nov 25, 2007

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                    Now you've made me cry, too!
                    Aww there there you dry your eyes all your start me off again

Hey if we all start crying,we might get some retro action goodies for us Europeans

Never stand behind a cow when it sneezes.

Comment

• Meule
                      Verbose Member
                      • Nov 14, 2004

In that case:

Comment

• Raydeen1
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 23, 2008

LOL. I haven't been able to get to my TRU but I suspect they won't even show up here. If they do, it will probably be May before we see 'em.
                        We didn't get the AT joes a couple years back either.
                        Originally posted by Meule
                        In that case:

Comment

• Orlock
                          Megohead Superdad
                          • Feb 15, 2010

I think a lot of times the comments are coming across as bitter and not just opinions and that is where the problems lie. It's a matter of not having any tone online during interactions and that makes things read differently for different people. Me? I find myself in the same boat as Kryptosmaster.

I'm not a wealthy guy, and 20 bucks a pop is a bit steep for these, well, at least until I see them. Considering the fact I just purchased 5 vintage Megos for $65 shipping and all I do feel a bit slighted by Mattel on the price end of things. Moderation and careful purchases is the only way I'm going to be able to get the ones I want as well as getting some for my children who love them dearly. Heck I'd be pleased to just find them in my area at this point.

I used to when I collected a line of toys have to buy every single one and each and every variant and repaint and so on and so on...now, I've come down to just buying what I like and not giving a crap about anything else.
                          My Art/Photography Page For Commissions
                          T-Shirts, Prints, and More for Sale
                          My Personal Facebook

Comment

• bgrimm77
                            NORTHEAST REPRESENTATIVE
                            • Jan 4, 2009

They still have not made it to New Hampshire
                            WHEREVER YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE AT

Comment

• geoffdude
                              Banned
                              • Apr 18, 2009

Can't really comment on the quality, other than to say many people seem to having problems with the production of these, and that's really too bad. After waiting so long, it's a shame things like this happen.

The price however, that's another issue. $19.99 seems very reasonable. Would I like to pay less? You bet. But factor in body, cloth suit, packaging material, shipping etc., and probably lower production numbers of this line compared to most, the cost of $19.99 really seems in line.

Also, prices of all plastic action-figures have jumped 60% or more over the last few years due to oil cost, production/labor cost of factory workers in China and shipping cost increases due to fuel. And, sewing these cloth costumes is probably more expensive than applying a paint shot upon plastic.

Here's a sample of some prices that may put things in persepective:

(1) JLU 4 1/2" figures @ Target = $8.99 per figure:

(2) DCUC figures 6" or so = $15.49 per figure as of current wave:

(3) Marvel Universe 3 3/4" figures = $8.99-$9.99 per figure:

(4) Mattel exclusive online MOTU figure = $20 per figure + $ 8 or so shipping:
                              Last edited by geoffdude; Feb 28, '10, 5:23 PM.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                                Permanent Member
                                • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                                It' absolutely ridiculous that people are complaining about these figures. Here's a question you should ALL be asking yourselves:

How much would you have spent to make these figures as customs??

Let's see:

$5 - $15 for a custom cast RESIN!!! head of the characters
                                $5 - $15 for a complete jumpsuit/cuffs etc. outfit
                                $5 - $10 for a body
                                $5 for boots
                                $5 - $10 special fist hands
                                $5 - $20 depending on how many accessories the characters have

That's more than $20 right there.

With all that said YOU CAN'T COMPLAIN about these figures...you really can't. And some here plan on buying them when they go to clearance...so your getting the figures for even less. Give it a rest already. I don't have the figures yet and am waiting patiently for them to reach the east coast...but I still plan on supporting this line. I don't even want the Superman because I don't like the head sculpt...but I sure as hell have plans for that outfit.
                                Assuming this was directed at my comments. I was excited for these figures. I saw them and was pretty underwhelmed. I stated some pretty simple opinions about how they looked, what happened when I found them and how I suspect these won't go over that well.

If anyone thinks anything I said was WHINING, they should get their head checked. I certainly wasn't whining. I was giving an honest, unbiased opinion. Some of you Megoheads live in a bubble, I don't. That may come across harsh, but this line has to appeal to the mass, not the bubble. My opinion thus far is that this doesn't look like it's going to appeal to the mass.

Is this cheaper than a custom toy, yeah probably. I think the difference is, would I be more satisfied paying $50 for a high quality custom or would I be content with paying $20 for something I still will have to customize to get it to the point where I like it?

That's a question I can't answer just yet, because I haven't taken the figure out of the package. Based on my intial impressions, I'm not sold on these guys yet. That may change, but I don't think jumping all over anyone who doesn't say these are the bees knees is the appropriate reaction either.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎