• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

I just found this in the Museum's 1972 archives-

Originally posted by Truckin'
    I just finished kicking back a few cocktails with Neil and showed me the 4 new hero action figures his company is producing. You all know how excited I was at thought of getting my favorite DC characters in action figure forms, but I gotta say I'm disappointed. First off, you won't believe the lame gloves on Batman, Robin and Aquaman. They look like oven mitts. AND when I tried to stand them up, their legs spread so far apart, they kept falling over. I also don't understand the choice of Aquaman. He's a bit of a weak hero. I mean, how hard would it have been to make a Flash or even a Green Lantern.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Raydeen1
      Persistent Member
      • May 23, 2008

The Batman mask looks an AWFUL lot like the KidsBiz/Bikin Bats from 89/90.
      Aside from those horrid, and pardon my expression but that is exactly what I think when I look at them, "cuffs"... I love him. He needs a thin, black stripe down his nose but I can paint that on my self. Sign me up for at least 3. My boys both want him and one for me...ok, maybe 2 depending on how the final figure looks.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67
        I just found this in the Museum's 1972 archives-
        Truckin' was my dad...
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Corellian Corvette
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 27, 2004

Considering the 180deg. turn the Superman head made from the Toyfair images to production, I'm going to hold judgment on the Batman sculpt for now. I've liked all the head sculpts in person so my fingers are crossed.

Also – if they get the colors right this is pretty DARN close to the TV batman color scheme. Since we’ll likely never get a toy, I sure would like my Batman colors to be of the 60’s TV variety!

Overall, I give the selection a solid B. We can't be too P.O.’d in world where 5 releases have given us *3* never before created WGSH. Neither Black Manta nor Two Face are my favorite choices, but they're new and as was posted above we have the other characters already. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't pair Robin with Batman, that honestly would have been my preference.

Paul -

Here's my wishlist for Mattel. In priority order

1. Fix the bodies. Been posted dozens of times – singularly I believe this is the biggest problem.
          2. Give the boots a better fit. The boots on these things are HUGE. It’s not only that they are bulky, but they’re enormous!
          3. Improve the quality of the outfits/emblems. The suits are really fragile! The emblems are peeling almost instantly.
          4. Make the heads easier to remove. He changing was a hallmark of the line – I don’t like that I have to destroy the bodies to remove the head.
          5. Better compatibility of hands/feet with original Mego.

Also – outfits? Can we get a Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent alter ego set, please!
          Like M.A.S.K.?
          www.albertpenello.com/mask

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

awesome. can't wait to get my hands on som

Comment

• creature
              • Jan 4, 2009

These are awesome. I like all of them. A Mego Two-Face. That is the coolest one out of the first two waves for me. I hope that the masses really get into these and the line continues. Is there going to be an online exclusive for this wave? Hopefully Flash or Plastic Man will be in the next wave.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                The DarkSide Customizer
                • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by drmego
                As for compliants - I would rather hear them now and show them
                to Mattel, then wait until the line is cancelled, then discuss what
                we didn't like.
                Batman's Cape Sucks.
                I dunno how else to Honestly state it. His Cape should be Made of something that should be able to rap somewhat around the Character,... to give him the "Look" of Just who He is.

The Mego Belt is Fine,.. for Mego... But that Belt on this figure, with the Big Arse Boots ..., seriously need's to be Bigger. Maybe Twice as Big as in Wide.

The Cuff's on All these Figures ,.. are just Wrong. These things are comming up past thier Elbow's in the Pic's ..., and Absolutely don't Look like they are not Jiving too well with the Rest of the Costuming.

Something Absolutely needs to be done with these Bodies..., even more so Now with all the Complaints I have scene, and Read. The is No "Action" in Retro-Action when a Toy with the Name Can't even Stand on your Shelf. I think the 101 Tutorial way's to Customize Green Arrow is a Very
                good Place to start.

More Iconic Sculpts ..., Instead of, this is sorta this Guy, because thats who we want it to be ..., Outside of the Green Arrow ..., I can't really stamp an Iconic Face on any of these..., I do understand that Mego did the same thing..., but We are 30+ yrs forward too.

If these are infact designed for Kids..., like they say..., No One is gonna Buy a Two-Face outside of Collectors... , Robin shoulda Been in there, and Make Two-Face an On-Line Exclusive.

If they, you or Whoever is Trying to Make "Mego" ..., Like you so Wonderfully Did with POTA And Star Trek..., as well as from the Looks of the Projects done with BBP ..., Then Do so,.. Make Mego. But Obviously from the Pic's of Everything I have scene with the DC Retro-Action figures ..., something Seemingly More Is trying to Be Made. ... Well if that's the Case, then Do it. Make Something More, and Not something that Seems to Have More Issue's than the Toy's of 30+ yr's ago. It's 2010..., Outside of Mego Collector's..., People want a Figure than will stand and you can Pose him..., Not something that has to be propped up on a Shelf,.. and then when you walk By it, it takes a Nose Dive off, for the Dog to Check out. But Judging By all the Kit Bash Green Arrow's on Castaway Bodies,.. I'd think alot of people want a Mego Body you can actually Pose in this Community as Well.

Everyone Likes to Complain about the DC & Marvel 9inchers.... outside of the Feet and Hands..., I think they are the Closes figures to Quality for Super Hero's Near this Scale that I have personally ever scene. And they didn't last Long. I think Thier Bodies are Miles Ahead of the Mattel 1. MegoHolic's will say,.. "It's because they were Not 8inch Scale" ..., No,.. it's Not.

Just my Take ..., I do wish these Luck , But I am Doubtful if I was Speaking Honesty here ..., outside of the Community , ofcourse.
                Last edited by BlackKnight; Feb 14, '10, 10:09 PM.
                ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by Caelonfox

To me, the Batman "Cowl Head" would look good if the bottom of the cowl were more tapered to the neck. It's too "blocky" at the bottom. It's unnatural. I put my fingers up to cover the bottom of his head to thin it a little and it actually looked pretty good.
                  Yeah, that's how I feel too. Although, I like the painted cowl look of the classic Megos instead of the removable cowl.

I like Aquaman. He does kinda remind me of the Filmation cartoon. And it's great there's a Black Manta. He needed a villain.
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• spamn
                    Minty and All-Original!
                    • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by Meule
                    Errrr, that's exactly what they did here. Batman and Aquaman are remakes nd Two-Face and Black Manta are new
                    True, but the ratio is different - wave 1 = two remake/rescuplt figures, 3 never made, wave 2 = 3 remake/rescuplt figures, 2 never made. That was my point.

It doesn't matter either way to me, I'm getting them all. But I get a huge rush from the never-produced-before characters, is all.

Comment

• drogge
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 24, 2009

Wave 2

Two-face looks awesome, a total triumpt! Batman is greatly inmproved , Aquaman looks a bit odd with those gloves but still good, Black Manta, all I can say is bravo. I can tell a lot of work and time went into these and I want to say thank you. When are they coming out?

Comment

• rkrefft
                        • Jan 21, 2010

I like Aquaman and Black Manta. I wanted Joker or Penguin over Two Face though. I'm not sure I like the way Batman looks. The removable cowl and blue on the face looks odd. Too cartoony. His cape is a mess and his suit is all baggy. Where was Flash?

Comment

• HardyGirl
                          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                          • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by rcbats1
                          what chu talkin bout Willis!?!
                          Sorry, it's how I feel. The RC Bats looked to me like he was wearing a hoodie! I like the molded one better.
                          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• SoulSinger
                            Singer Of Mego Love
                            • Oct 22, 2007

I have 3 kids and they will all have these!!!!

Bob

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

Batman will have a removeable cowl, but the sample from the factory
                              was all black, so in order to avoid confusion, they showed the head
                              and mask as one, and the Bruce Wayne sculpt.

All 4 of wave 2 will be at Toys R Us.

we didn't like.
                              So what I am hearing you say is this prototype of the "cowled" Batman is in fact NOT what the final product will look like. Is that a fair statement? I say that because as a molded one piece I can't determine what we really have here. What I would beg you to ask them to do is make sure the cowl will fit on him correctly. There is no novelty in having a removable cowl Batman if the cowl doesn't make him look interesting to begin with. If his face looks ridiculous then you have a ridiculous looking figure. The concept works if the cowl works. That prototype does not work. No kid will look at it and say, "Oh that looks like a mask my dad wore as a kid in the 60's." Uh... no.

Comment

• Jerry68
                                Persistent Member
                                • Feb 12, 2008

Batman will have a removeable cowl, but the sample from the factory
                                was all black, so in order to avoid confusion, they showed the head
                                and mask as one, and the Bruce Wayne sculpt.

All 4 of wave 2 will be at Toys R Us.

we didn't like.
                                Please, Please fix the bodies!!!!!! I have all five and none of them can stand on their own. The waist is way to loose and tends to pop out.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎