Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • supes
    For the love of Mego's!
    • Jan 19, 2004

Aquaman and Black Manta look great. Two face sculpt looks really good. I will wait to see non prototype pictures of Batman before I bash him.

I agree whole heartedly that the gauntlets should be tighter and a lot shorter, and the body still needs some refining.

That being said I am still psyched that these are coming out, way to go Doc!

For the love of Mego's

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Honestly I'll be glad when this line is over. No one can say a d*mn thing about any of these figures without someone's feelings getting hurt or someone crying "melodrama". Complaining about the critiques IS melodrama. If you want this line to succeed then you better listen to some of the things being said here. I showed that Batman prototype to my wife, kids and two of their friends spending the night last night (part of Mattel's market by-the-way) and they all gave Batman a unanimous thumbs down. They all liked Black Manta, big thumbs up on Two-Face, and a 'eh-okay' on Aquaman. It's not rocket science folks. If the Batman prototype was made by a close friend of the forum, hey I'm real sorry the returns aren't coming in favorably. But let's be objective about what is being said. If you knew the prototype would be rough looking then accept the criticism that goes with it...especially from collectors who are asked to pay for that "nostalgic" feeling. I poured out some nice cash to get wave one and there are some problems after my initial buzz wore off. Now I'm keen to the quality, or lack thereof, and justifiably more critical of what they do next. That's the market you guys are playing in. And companies like BBP that are competing for that money toasted this line yesterday. Laid it to waste. This is a business. I'm the customer. I don't need to be grateful about anything. I'm giving Mattel my money and telling those who have a voice (to the manufacturer) that improvements need to be made to get my money again. If that goes ignored or gets criticized, your giving the line a bad fibe from the very people you want to purchase the product. Your choice.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

No one can say a d*mn thing about any of these figures without someone's feelings getting hurt or someone crying "melodrama". Complaining about the critiques IS melodrama.
        Let me clarify my "Crying", not liking the toy's design or having criticism on how to improve? Not Melodrama. Comparing a batman dolly you are unhappy with to rape? Melodrama. I'd be scared of the world where everybody agreed on everything but let's not be so careless with our words here.

I showed the figures to my kids and they wanted the whole set, I'm not saying you are wrong with critiquing the Batman, strong opinion is important and obviously invited but people may not like what you are suggesting for batman either. It's never going to be perfect and everyone thinks they know how to "fix" the line, including me.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• wonderfan32
          • Jul 27, 2009

Originally posted by supes
          Aquaman and Black Manta look great. Two face sculpt looks really good. I will wait to see non prototype pictures of Batman before I bash him.

I agree whole heartedly that the gauntlets should be tighter and a lot shorter, and the body still needs some refining.

That being said I am still psyched that these are coming out, way to go Doc!
          There's so many examples of customs here that look great with the gauntlets/cuffs. I was so glad when Toybiz went with this as opposed to what they did early on with the Famous Covers and the treatment of the gloves. Just make it tighter around the wrists, shorten them just a tad, and they'll look more like gloves than cuffs.

It may be better to hem them at the top near the forearms as opposed to the wrists and separate from the costume (in other words, not sewing them into the suit). I can only speak of myself on this but it would be nice to have the option of taking the gauntlets/cuffs off like we can with the boots. That was the only thing that bugged me about Hasbro's 9 inch. Loved everything else about it except for the boots and gloves treatment.

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

These are fantastic.

I don't think people get what Mattel seems to be going for. If it's called "Retro-Action", then they designs are going to be Retro. If you want a current version of Batman, then they want you to buy the DCU or Public Enemies version.

Manta stepped right out Challenge.

Aquaman is a cross between Superfriends and the Filmation cartoon.

Two-Face is a great rendition of his Dick Sprang days.

And Batman - that is awesome. He's one-part Superfriends, and - Just look at this helmet -

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2kjisMm3M9...pe-ideal-2.gif

That's from Ideal, 1966. It came with a cape and was one of the great tie-in products to the Adam West days. Matty added Sprang features which was the goal of all the Batman products back in the Silver Age.

The line really is becoming this fantastic union of Silver Age and Superfriends.

Comment

• haggis
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 17, 2008

I'll be very happy to buy all 4 of these.
              No exclusives and no chase figures, please - I'm Canadian!

Comment

• bondtoddbond
                Mego Museum Super Spy
                • Aug 14, 2009

I'm almost afraid to give an opinion. I think they're pretty cool. If Mattel was reproducing Mego's down to the detail, I'd appreciate the wild negative opinions, but that said, these are in the ballpark anyway. Be glad they've given you something else to collect. It's cool that they picked Two-Face, it's a new character. Aquaman, what can you do? He's pretty basic. Black Manta is pretty awesome. Batman, he's not Mego cool, but at least they did a removable cowl, they could have just said the heck with it. If you only like real Mego's, then buy more of them. I like the line, I hope to see them get Flash made yet. I'd rather not have them make the whole DC Universe myself, but we'll see.
                sigpic "It's like you're unravelling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting..."

Comment

• Ivaniski
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jun 24, 2007

Improvement is a "Quick tip" away.........

What ever happened to the "Defined Jaw line look"...Slightly narrower chins that many Superheroes possess in the cartoons/comics. I know that they're Prototypes......But, sometimes the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. These heads look like they were molded from the Claymation show "Davey and Goliath".

Please Mattel comb his hair to the side....Don't like the Monk hairstyle with receding hairline on Bruce Wayne, and narrow the chin a little.

Same with Aquaman, The chin/jaw line needs to be a tad bit more squared.

The Wave 1 Superman and Green Lantern heads suffer from the same pudgy (round) looking jaw line fate.
                  Last edited by Ivaniski; Feb 15, '10, 5:19 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

For the record, I don't get the Removable Cowl fascination, it's not even my favourite on the original WGSH but I am pretty sure I'm in the minority there. I'm also sure that if the line is even mildly successful, we'll see more batmen. History tends to repeat itself.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Brue
                      User without title
                      • Sep 29, 2005

i didn't get the GA. Are these exactly teh same height as Megos?

If so, I will probably get Sinestro, Luthor, Two Face and Black Manta as well as any others that weren't made in the 70's.

I like them so far - the nit picking is really odd considering what you are getting. Mattel CAN make perfectly accurate replica's of the comic, TV or movie versions. Was that the aim of this line? I belive many people here cite RC Bats as their favorite Mego. Does he really look accurate? I don't remember adam west wearing or neal adams drawing oven mits. An appeal of Megos is the quirkiness. These new figures came from that love. Not the need to replicate comic book or movies in 3D.

In other words - what is wrong with them is what is right with them.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by palitoy
                        For the record, I don't get the Removable Cowl fascination, it's not even my favourite on the original WGSH but I am pretty sure I'm in the minority there.
                        As a kid I loved the removable cowl....however, today if it can't be done properly I say ditch the whole thing. Unless you plan on making all of the heroes have removable masks (where applicable), then it's only being done for the nostalgia factor.
                        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• trekman101
                          Persistent Member
                          • Feb 6, 2009

As Doc has said already he would rather hear complaints now not later...I have read all the posts on this thread yesterday and this morning...now it's my turn to way in...I think what has been said is constructive but the "IT'S BAD..CAN'T STAND IT..BLA BLA BLA" has to stop...original WGSH Megos were generic versions of the characters...some were bad but a lot were good...why do you think Mattel is going to stray from making generic Mego like versions of these characters...they are not going to make the perfect version of any figure...just a good middle of the road version....there have been great and perfect iconic character figures made in the past by others... so there is going to some disappointment with these new Mattel versions....not every one is going to be happy...collectors don't carry toy lines...the general toy buyer does...Mattel knows this and has to walk a fine line to try to make a toy line popular and profitable....so feel free to criticize...you will be heard...but you have to stop with the bad...it's no good....garbage... bullsh.. the quality issues will be addressed and fixed by Mattel...the timing for these figures is right..so be grateful...and please don't jump on me for stating this stuff
                          With that said here is my two cents...Mattel will fix the bodies.. be sure of that.. the "prototypes" we have just seen are just that....Mattel wants to do these MOCS before they come up with the final versions...remember they are hand made put together's...the final versions will be more refined...Manta is perfect...Two face just needs less bulky clothes...Aqua man needs a more refined head sculpt, toned down scales and the addition of fins to the costume...Batman needs a more refined head sculpt with a thin vinyl removable cowl and a better designed costume...all the faces are always going to be generic looking...you just have to get used to it...using "super friends" as a model is a good start for a lot of the characters. Mattel also needs to work on all the boots for every figure..the material is perfect(soft and flexible)but the tops need to be thinned down and refined.
                          The other companies making the new 8 inch lines are making exact replicas of a chosen character....that's why they look really good..keep that in mind when you compare them to Mattel.
                          "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• timmy
                            • Feb 5, 2008

Aquaman belt

I think the Aquaman would benefit greatly by having a plastic belt with the molded "A" symbol.
                            It would fit in nicely with The Green Arrow belt with the "G" symbol and the Batman utility belt.
                            Not a big fan of the vinyl waist band pretending to be a belt.

Comment

• mitchedwards
                              Mego Preservation Society
                              • May 2, 2003

What accessories will the wave 2 figures have? Please please please give Batman is baterange

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• thunderbolt
                                Hi Ernie!!!
                                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Meule
                                Well said, The Bat is alone in his whining
                                yeah, and the prison rape analogy is a tad bit much. What a drama queen.
                                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎