Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the worst thing that ever happened to your Mego?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hulk
    Mayor of Megoville
    • May 10, 2003

Besides my brother?

Discovering the flammability of Testor's Cement Glue as a young teenager combined with a fascination with fireworks.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 1, 2005

I bought a nice French carded The Thing figure back in the early 90s, I had it displayed on a hanging peg on my wall for years. One day a few years back, I walked in the room and found that the bubble had actually separated from the card somewhat, enough for the figure to be removed. I didn't pay alot for it but it was still a bummer to find it no longer MOC. Then more recently, I found a great deal on a loose Thing on Ebay. Got it in the mail, took it out and it was in great shape. I went to display it, and was bending the arms and legs to pose it how I wanted, and the left arm peg broke. I have bad luck with The Thing I guess!!

The only other incident involving my Megos was having to sell off a bunch of MOC figures about seven years ago due to divorce That definitely ranks as the worst thing to happen to my Mego collection.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
        Banned
        • Jun 23, 2001

Worst thing that happened to one of my Megos...Lost my Diamond Logo Spidey in my house...FOR 2 YEARS!!! and then I found it. Man, I went crazy (Heath/Highquality can tell you the story). I found it under a pile of clothes in a dresser drawer in my basement (I have finished basement). I thought for sure that one of 2 things happened to it:

1) I shipped it out to one lucky member on the museum by accident with other figures they had purchased from me.

2) I threw it out in a shipping box by accident.

Thank God neither of those happened.

Comment

• Hulk
          Mayor of Megoville
          • May 10, 2003

Originally posted by nvmbrsdoom5

The only other incident involving my Megos was having to sell off a bunch of MOC figures about seven years ago due to divorce That definitely ranks as the worst thing to happen to my Mego collection.
          But think about all the other crap you got rid of at the same time.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

"What's the worst thing that ever happened to your Mego? " .........

Changing clothing to upgrade a figure and my darn fingernail gets hung-up on the perfect suit--- producing a "fuzzy" or "fuzzball".

Happens way too often...

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

About 9 years ago, I took some of my AJs to the school I was working at, and this girl named Maxine tried to make one of them do gymnastics and stretching exercises and the band broke and he fell to pieces! I had to learn (before I had the internet) how to fix him. Needless to say, I didn't take them back to that school.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I've had a few mishaps since collecting Megos.

The most heart-wrenching was when I got my minty Iron Man in the mail, opened it up, and decided to take off his glove. The seam on the glove made this sickening "pop" sound. I had owned him for maybe 2 seconds.

I was foolish enough to put my repro bow into my Mego Speedy's hand, and had it there for several years. One day I discovered the bow on the floor of my case...along with Speedy's thumb!!! Luckily, the saintly Kresge sent me a new Lion Rock body and all was right with the world again!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                  Stays Crunchy in Milk
                  • Aug 2, 2004

A couple years ago we were having a garage sale. I thought, for the fun of it I'd put out some extra figures (and a few other items) I'd yet to sell on ebay. I put them way behind my table line in the obvious, don't come back here area that you have to try really hard to get to. It was fun seeing one guy that knew what they were thinking he'd just scored big, until he saw my sign that asked for prices on vintage toys.

Everything was fine until an Asian man and his son showed up. His English wasn't very strong so communicating was a chore. his son pointed at Spider-man. I explained that it was a vintage toy and a collectable, and he understood none of it. I then used the words old and expensive and as I did his kid goes under the table and grabs Spidey and starts twisting him and moving him around. I was on the other side of the table so I had to work to get back there. The man followed me and asks how much. I tried to explain again that it was expensive and told him twenty five. He reached in his pocket for a quarter... the whole time his kid was abusing a pretty nice Spidey dispite a slight run in his costume. With every second I was imagining that run getting bigger and bigger... I said "no not 25 cents, but 25 dollars. 25 dollars, very old, vintage, hard to find, not for kids." I was probably getting louder and louder at this point in hopes that he'd understand. He understodd at last that 25 dollars meant he didn't want his son playing with it any more.

No real harm done, but I decided it was time for the Megos to go inside.
                  Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• mitchedwards
                    Mego Preservation Society
                    • May 2, 2003

When I was a kid My T1 Spiderman's elastic broke. My Dad figured out how to restring him.

My Mr Fantastic leg broke. He was one of the few Megos that survived my childhood, and when I got back in the hobby, he was the 1st I repaired with a new knee pin.

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• JDeRouen
                      Author of Small Things
                      • Jun 14, 2001

A few years ago, three of my Megos - Robin, Hutch, and Wild Bill Hicock - came to life and tried to kill me in my sleep. My cat Milo got involved and that was it for the Megos. He shredded them to pieces. I'll never forget their little screams as, one by one, Milo gnawed their heads off.
                      --
                      Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• Brue
                        User without title
                        • Sep 29, 2005

My junior year at Ohio State some friend of a friend of a friend... tore apart my Joker and someone stole my Conan -probably the same person.

As a teen I personally destroyed Isis and Wondergirl not seeing any worth in them.

Comment

• Wee67
                          Museum Correspondent
                          • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by MegoNinja
                          Aside from that the only other real damage I did was my Potsie mego fell in my fish tank by accident.

Perhaps he was trying to jump the shark, but in a much more Potsie kind of way.
                          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• kresge1
                            Museum_Bozo
                            • Jun 20, 2001

i had the same problem as Brian.My elastic plasticman expolded from the intense heat in my toyroom a few years ago
                            Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• The Bat
                              Batman Fanatic
                              • Jul 14, 2002

It's funny...Ya know, just Yesterday...I was re-arranging My Star Trek Mego's on the Shelf...while holding a Cup of Coffee. Well...Scotty took a nose dive, head first right into My Coffee Cup! I quickly ran down Stair's with Him...and put the old Dish washing liquid to Him FAST(Coffee Stains!)! Anyway...I looks fine this Morning.
                              sigpic

Comment

• GSPUSA
                                General Patton
                                • Apr 9, 2005

The memory that stays with me clearly is a brand new Micronaught that my mom bought for me, I remember picking it out in the store and asking for it. First thing I did when we got in the car was open the package, after attempting to point the head straight it broke off at the neck. Great quality I have to tell you. My mom got mad about the money wasted and I was equally disgusted. I think that was my last Mego purchase ever. More than likely the same quality control engineers for Mego later joined ranks at CTVT.
                                It

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎