Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES PLAYSET ...sort of...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Donkey Hoatie
    Supporter of Silliness
    • Jun 20, 2007

Ummm, I'm showing up really late to this party. However, I wanted to thank Scott for showing all this uber-cool stuff. When I first saw the post and the number of responses, I figured it was someone yanking our collective chains and an ensuing flame war of some sort. So, I stayed away. Finally curiousity got the best of me and I decided to check it out.

Boy am I glad I did.

This is, by far, the coolest thing that I've ever seen a kid do. And taking the time to share all this with us is one of the kindest things I've seen someone do in a while. There are TONS of great people here on the list who have given so much to the community so unselfishly, it's nice to see that we've added another one in the past month.

Great stuff. Even if you never posted another pic you have cemented your standing as a legend on this board.

Comment

• ScottA
      Original Member
      • Jun 25, 2001

I remember those stickers. I have a complete set of the plastic pendent ones somewhere.
      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• sauce
        Removed
        • Jun 24, 2007

I just got caught up on your styrofoam goodness. Wow! Ape-a-holic indeed! Nice!

Comment

• vulcan2074
          Live Long and Prosper
          • Mar 23, 2008

Those Stickers are So Cool. This Thread is like Unearthing a Time Capsule.
          Sammy

Comment

• ditcin
            Museum Patron
            • Sep 3, 2008

Originally posted by Donkey Hoatie
            Ummm, I'm showing up really late to this party. However, I wanted to thank Scott for showing all this uber-cool stuff. When I first saw the post and the number of responses, I figured it was someone yanking our collective chains and an ensuing flame war of some sort. So, I stayed away. Finally curiousity got the best of me and I decided to check it out.

Boy am I glad I did.

This is, by far, the coolest thing that I've ever seen a kid do. And taking the time to share all this with us is one of the kindest things I've seen someone do in a while. There are TONS of great people here on the list who have given so much to the community so unselfishly, it's nice to see that we've added another one in the past month.

Great stuff. Even if you never posted another pic you have cemented your standing as a legend on this board.
            Thanks. You and other have posted so great responses welcoming me to this board. It's amazing how things I purchased years ago and put away can bring such positive feedback. We all often take for granted things we do and have I never would have thought my experiences with MEGO would have been shared in this way.
            - Scott B.

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
              Career Member
              • May 14, 2007

Yeah, I remember seeing the Ape stickers back in the day. I was more into Superheroes, so I tried to get a Batman. All I got was a Superman. I wish I'd keep trying, but a quarter was alot back then. The hero stickers were standard DC comicart, not mego.

Really great stuff Scott. I've always customize megos, so it's great to see this early stuff of yours. Eye candy indeed.

Thanks for postin' and please continue.

Bob

Comment

• Neutron X
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 22, 2007

Welcome, THANKS for such a amazing story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• ditcin
                  Museum Patron
                  • Sep 3, 2008

While unpacking more APE stuff I found 2 Ape charms. Like the stickers above these were available in store candy machines. Seems I always got Dr. Zaius.

Scott B.

Comment

• apes3978
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by ditcin
                    Like the stickers above these were available in store candy machines. Seems I always got Dr. Zaius.
                    At least you have Zaius...

Every time I bidding on these on eBay, I'm outbid... I suppose I could bid more, but these aren't my top priority...

Comment

• blastphemey
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jun 11, 2008

18 pages?!?! congrats new guy

Comment

• angelofmusic2112
                        • Sep 9, 2008

Scott,

What's your opinion of the Planet of the Apes figures released by Sideshow?
                        "I am a simple soldier, and as a soldier... I see things simply.” ~General Ursus~

Comment

• ditcin
                          Museum Patron
                          • Sep 3, 2008

Originally posted by angelofmusic2112
                          Scott,

What's your opinion of the Planet of the Apes figures released by Sideshow?
                          Most of the Sideshow figures are everything I had hoped for. The detail is incredible. I'm currently looking for a General Ursus.
                          I don't like the Brent however, it just doesn't look like Francisus. The Nova is another one that just does nothing for me. Besides, like the James Bond Thunderball one seeing too much of the figure without cloths ruins the illusion exposing joints.
                          I wish they would do an Aldo, since he wore an added piece of leather around his neck that was circular in design.
                          Julius would be cool tool.
                          ... and I'd really like them to make a John Huston "Lawgiver" with scroll.
                          - Scott B.

Comment

• angelofmusic2112
                            • Sep 9, 2008

Scott - Good luck on your quest for General Ursus. Like you, I also wanted a John Huston/Lawgiver figure so I sculpted the head. Mine still needs to be painted.

Sideshow Freaks - angelofmusic2112's Album: Battle for the Planet of the Apes - Picture

Sideshow Freaks - angelofmusic2112's Album: Battle for the Planet of the Apes - Picture
                            Last edited by angelofmusic2112; Sep 30, '08, 9:11 PM.
                            "I am a simple soldier, and as a soldier... I see things simply.” ~General Ursus~

Comment

• angelofmusic2112
                              • Sep 9, 2008

Here's a painted Lawgiver head that I painted for a friend.

Last edited by angelofmusic2112; Sep 30, '08, 9:13 PM.

Comment

• apes3978
                                Permanent Member
                                • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by angelofmusic2112
                                Here's a painted Lawgiver head that I painted for a friend.

Any plans on shrinking some of these heads to MEGO scale? Off hand, I'd say the Virgil would be a pretty good one to do...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎