Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES PLAYSET ...sort of...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AUSSIE-Rebooted-AMM
    I was NEVER here!
    • Jun 22, 2008

UM. . . . . . .SPEECHLESS. . . . . LEGEND in our midst!!!!!

THANK you. . . . just for being you! It all defies comprehension!

Comment

• ditcin
      Museum Patron
      • Sep 3, 2008

Originally posted by AUSSIE-Rebooted-AMM
      UM. . . . . . .SPEECHLESS. . . . . LEGEND in our midst!!!!!

THANK you. . . . just for being you! It all defies comprehension!
      Well cobber, you just settled my apprehensions about putting this house for sale on ebay. I was concerned about how to ship it but I'll find a way. I wasn't kidding when I said it was a piece of realesate up for sale above in the first post. In fact, the reason I put it all together again was to make sure it was in good enough condition to sell - and to have a sit down for old times sake and snap a pic.

BTW - the instructions are still in the box.

Scott B.

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

Wow, most kids, or even adults for that matter, don't have the presence of mind to save the box, (let alone the instructions), and are more interersted in saving space and just throw the boxes away. Your mom must have been a special breed!
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• SUPERUNDERDOGGIE
          Museum Chaplain
          • Nov 26, 2002

Look out! There's an Ape in there with you!! I see him through the window!!

:-)

That's so cool....and as usual you have a knack for completeness as evidenced by the shirt and the screen....Bravo!

I can't wait to see what else you find as you go through your things.

Thanks for sharing!!

Dan
          "God has put definite limits on the heights of man's wisdom, but no limits to the depths of his stupidity"

Comment

• megoat
            A Therefore Experience
            • Jun 10, 2003

Back in the mid 90's I was a POTA collector. These sort of esoteric Apes items were the holy grail. Any idea how many of these things have survived in folks' collections? There can't be too many of those around today. Awesome!

Comment

• ditcin
              Museum Patron
              • Sep 3, 2008

Okay, I've dug into the archives of old pictures and finally found what I was looking for. Sorry it took so long. Some times it's just too much to go back and pics of people and pets no longer with us.

Below is the only pic, as far as I remember of the paper mache Ampitheater/Arena I made as seen in PLANET and BENEATH.
              You can see it was pretty large considering it has 11 sitting apes - with room for more. It was 4 levels: 1. the base, 2-3. for sitting, and a final upper 4th level for on top which came around to a overhead walk-way (as seen in the films)

This is a scan of a lobby card that kinda shows what I was trying to do.

Below is a pic of a three story building I called "THE ARMORY" it was made of styrofoam and had a bottom walk-in level that led to a cage and table. The second story was where the weapons were kept (you can see them hanging). The top level/roof was accessable via a ladder (which is on the other side) The walk way that is in a "T" shape comes down to the ground, and over to the right it connected to the overpass on the Arena (pic above).
              I named it after the Armory seen in BATTLE but my version was much larger and taller. This was one of more origianl ideas that wasn't from one of the films. I think however it did "inspire" MEGO to do what they would call "THE FORTRESS" (seen below) It had the same amount of levels, a cage, a weapon rack, a table and ladder. It differed however on the top by putting a sun reflector (as seen in the TV Series). When Vinnie came to my house he took pictures of everything I've posted here - plus a few more items that haven't made it through the years.

In an earlier post I mentioned that I had made scrolls for the figures out of branches - all hand written. I found them as well...

Scott B.
              Last edited by ditcin; Sep 18, '08, 4:00 PM. Reason: forgot to post a pic

Comment

• AUSSIE-Rebooted-AMM
                I was NEVER here!
                • Jun 22, 2008

Scott.. . .just dumbfounded. . . . .everything that you have, have done. . . . just astounds. . . .and the fact that most of it lives to this day. . . . I think I am going to feint!

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

Scott you were absolutely NUTS about Apes! I don't know if I would have loved having a neighbor with such cool toys or would have been totally jealous of your skills. I just hope you're having as much fun sharing all this as we are seeing it.
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• vulcan2074
                    Live Long and Prosper
                    • Mar 23, 2008

I'm Amazed once again. Wow! Just Fantastic.
                    Sammy

Comment

• apes3978
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 19, 2005

Damn, that ARENA is pretty slick... Even in this day and age!

Comment

• mego73
                        Printed paperboard Tiger
                        • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by ditcin
                        The house photographs better then it probably is. The color and overall condition is very good. There are however POTA signs missing that when on the thatched roof, and the tabs that hold it together are obviously folded. It's in good condition most do to how it was stored - in the origianl box it came in.
                        -Scott B.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z...aplayhouse.jpg

I just had to notice that the font used for PLAYHOUSE is the same Mego used for the character names on the Ape boxes and cards. Neat.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• mego73
                          Printed paperboard Tiger
                          • Aug 1, 2003

More remarkable stuff, this just keeps on going

Originally posted by ditcin
                          Okay, I've dug into the archives of old pictures and finally found what I was looking for. Sorry it took so long. Some times it's just too much to go back and pics of people and pets no longer with us.

Below is the only pic, as far as I remember of the paper mache Ampitheater/Arena I made as seen in PLANET and BENEATH.
                          You can see it was pretty large considering it has 11 sitting apes - with room for more. It was 4 levels: 1. the base, 2-3. for sitting, and a final upper 4th level for on top which came around to a overhead walk-way (as seen in the films)

This is a scan of a lobby card that kinda shows what I was trying to do.

Below is a pic of a three story building I called "THE ARMORY" it was made of styrofoam and had a bottom walk-in level that led to a cage and table. The second story was where the weapons were kept (you can see them hanging). The top level/roof was accessable via a ladder (which is on the other side) The walk way that is in a "T" shape comes down to the ground, and over to the right it connected to the overpass on the Arena (pic above).
                          I named it after the Armory seen in BATTLE but my version was much larger and taller. This was one of more origianl ideas that wasn't from one of the films. I think however it did "inspire" MEGO to do what they would call "THE FORTRESS" (seen below) It had the same amount of levels, a cage, a weapon rack, a table and ladder. It differed however on the top by putting a sun reflector (as seen in the TV Series). When Vinnie came to my house he took pictures of everything I've posted here - plus a few more items that haven't made it through the years.

In an earlier post I mentioned that I had made scrolls for the figures out of branches - all hand written. I found them as well...

Scott B.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• jessica
                            fortune favors the bold
                            • Nov 5, 2007

Crickey, this is the thread that keeps on giving...

Scott, I bow to you, oh Mighty One!!
                            Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                            Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                            1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                            1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• apes3978
                              Permanent Member
                              • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by PCofmisfittoys
                              i like the playhouse myself. that is something I would buy and set up for sure...and I really don;t buy megos...
                              MEGO didn't make the playhouse, so if you'd ever buy one, it wouldn't affect your "really don't buy MEGOs" stance...

Comment

• ditcin
                                Museum Patron
                                • Sep 3, 2008

Does anyone remember these...
                                They were sold in candy machines in the front of stores and came in round plastic shaped containers with pop-tops. The stickers were rolled up inside.
                                There were also plastic pendants that came with a nylon string to wear around your neck - those had the same stickers, but only the heads.

I wonder if MEGO knew about these because the back of the stickers doesn't say MEGO!
                                Scott B.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎