Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

I've never seen them. At the time, I saw the trailers and thought the looked terrible or dumb. I've just never had any interest in them.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by sprytel
      Yes! I thought I was alone on this one... nice to hear someone else finds this annoying. Obi-Wan is supposed to be in hiding on Tatooine. Plus, Obi-Wan's outfit is nearly identical to what Owen Lars wears. It clearly is not some sort of Jedi uniform.

And yet Anakin is wearing one at the end of Jedi too.

Comment

• Madcap70
        • Dec 4, 2017

Let's be honest now all of the "Fanboys" NEVER wanted any prequel films made just like those same "fanboys" Never wanted sequels made either because the OT was special (Which it is) but how long can that "Old fuzzy" go when you have to tell a story...On one hand you get people that are going to hate when you re-hash the OT and the other half that are going to hate because it's "different" from the OT even though it's still "Star Wars"....

Comment

• toothaction
          Career Member
          • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by Madcap70
          Let's be honest now all of the "Fanboys" NEVER wanted any prequel films made ...
          If I may speak for my entire generation, heh, I declare that the lot of us did indeed want prequels... in '86, '89 and '92! At the point that we learned that the first one would now and forevermore be known as the IVth episode, and that there were a few more stories to be told on the back nine, I'm comfortable in saying that, by '83, we were ALL expecting a steady diet of space drama for years to come. That said...

What we got, some 15 years off schedule, was the most painful bait-and-switch in the history of dorkery! Heh. Me, I was spared some of the pain because my lifelong love of all things SW, midway through the cantina scene in the 'special' edition, had already died.

Wheeee!
          >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by jwyblejr
            And yet Anakin is wearing one at the end of Jedi too.
            and Yoda also wore this same type outfit

Comment

• Brue
              User without title
              • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Madcap70
              Let's be honest now all of the "Fanboys" NEVER wanted any prequel films made just like those same "fanboys" Never wanted sequels made either because the OT was special (Which it is) but how long can that "Old fuzzy" go when you have to tell a story...On one hand you get people that are going to hate when you re-hash the OT and the other half that are going to hate because it's "different" from the OT even though it's still "Star Wars"....
              I totally wanted the prequels and sequels. I was at PM and FA Thursday before opening day. BUT I was only disappointed with prequels,

Comment

• Brue
                User without title
                • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                and Yoda also wore this same type outfit
                ...and Anakin end of Jedi. My point exactly. these are not "jedi" uniforms. They are what people wear in the desert.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

when was Yoda on a desert? when they appeared in those robes in the original trilogy it was basically established that these were jedi robes

Comment

• Madcap70
                    • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by Brue
                    BUT I was only disappointed with prequels,
                    Most fans would put them both in the same class...

Comment

• Madcap70
                      • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by toothaction
                      If I may speak for my entire generation, heh, I declare that the lot of us did indeed want prequels... in '86, '89 and '92! At the point that we learned that the first one would now and forevermore be known as the IVth episode, and that there were a few more stories to be told on the back nine, I'm comfortable in saying that, by '83, we were ALL expecting a steady diet of space drama for years to come. That said...

What we got, some 15 years off schedule, was the most painful bait-and-switch in the history of dorkery! Heh. Me, I was spared some of the pain because my lifelong love of all things SW, midway through the cantina scene in the 'special' edition, had already died.

Wheeee!
                      Prequels had their spots but they were still Star Wars like it or not...Like I told a friend of mine a long time ago it wasn't our story to tell it was Lucas's story and unfortunately now it's Disney's turn...

Comment

• YoungOnce
                        Career Member
                        • Aug 29, 2007

i actually think JJ Abrams is right about his theory of the "mystery box". The original trilogy had the benefit of no one knowing the backgrounds of these stories and characters. And because George Lucas approached the storytelling as Star Wars being a love letter to the old serials, it made sense, since we were in the middle of the story, that we wouldn't know all the backstory of every character, their motivations or history. That was part of the charm to me. A New Hope was a one-off until it became a blockbuster., then, it became necessary to elaborate. With each new movie, more of the mystery box is opened.

I actually liked TFA and felt like it got the closest to the tone of the original trilogy. The prequels are a product of their times as far as George and his pursuit of technology advancements, but I'm glad JJ relied a lot on practical effects.

Comment

• Brue
                          User without title
                          • Sep 29, 2005

when was Yoda on a desert? when they appeared in those robes in the original trilogy it was basically established that these were jedi robes
                          He wasn't. So why is he wearing that outfit.

-If the point is the sequels had these ridiculous outfits, not jus the prequels - it is just a small indicator of Lucas's ultimate stupidity.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Brue
                            He wasn't. So why is he wearing that outfit.

-If the point is the sequels had these ridiculous outfits, not jus the prequels - it is just a small indicator of Lucas's ultimate stupidity.
                            no, the point is that all three trilogies had the jedi in these outfits

Comment

• Klosterheim
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 23, 2013

It would have been cool if some prequel Jedi wore Luke's Return of the Jedi black outfit.

It might have been overused, then, but it might have shown that Luke learned how to make the old Jedi clothing.

Comment

• Brue
                                User without title
                                • Sep 29, 2005

no, the point is that all three trilogies had the jedi in these outfits
                                No.

I was giving prequel defenders the argument that the "uniforms" appeared in the originals - BUT:

Yoda in Empire and obi-wan in SW have similarities in there outfits - but not at all the same AND Yoda's is, like obi-wan's, based on his habitat, not a uniform.

while the obi-wan of Prequels has this outfit that makes no sense for his habitat (with exception of his trip to tatooine - but even then he is going as an ambassador and is not indigenous.)

Jedi end:

While the force ghost of anakin is wearing the "uniform", it is a blip at the end of Jedi, which had a whole lot more problems than the outfit.

And what would Anakin have worn if not the vader outfit?
                                He might dress like someone he respects, like kenobi, or if prequels are canon, dress like someone from his home planet: tatooine.
                                at any rate - he had seen teh outfit before.

AND maybe the anakin "uniform" at the end of the let down that was Jedi was just a glimpse of the crapfest that would be the indefensible prequels.

Some examples of prequel "uniforms" based on what Obi Wan would wear AFTER the events of the prequels.

Last edited by Brue; Feb 1, '18, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎